Visit site
✟247,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
..I was going thru a list of Roald Dahl works earlier tonight. (The guy who wrote Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory). His writing fascinates me. One day I'm going to get his entire bibliography.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,012,737.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
71EZif9ZLML.jpg

Upvote 0

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
fiction, nonfiction, book, magazine, newspaper- what are you reading today? and is it in paper form, "e reader", or on the Internet?
fiction, nonfiction, book, magazine, newspaper- what are you reading today? and is it in paper form, "e reader", or on the Internet?
I'm reading too far gone in paper form by Allison Brennan

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟247,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There hasn't been many books I've enjoyed like The Remains of the Day where the story itself wasn't all that great, but because of the writing itself, kept me reading. This is one of them. It was adapted into a motion picture film that starred Anthony Hopkins in 1993.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There hasn't been many books I've enjoyed like The Remains of the Day where the story itself wasn't all that great, but because of the writing itself, kept me reading. This is one of them. It was adapted into a motion picture film that starred Anthony Hopkins in 1993.

That was really good. So was the film. Are you looking for classics?

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟247,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That was really good. So was the film. Are you looking for classics?
Actually, that one was a book I picked up from a list of books read by Jeff Bezos. I don't agree with his lifestyle. But he is a shrewd businessman, and I was curious to find out what kind of literature gets him going.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually, that one was a book I picked up from a list of books read by Jeff Bezos. I don't agree with his lifestyle. But he is a shrewd businessman, and I was curious to find out what kind of literature gets him going.

Okay. Classics improve writing and critical thinking. The literature is more complex and the vocabulary is richer.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟247,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay. Classics improve writing and critical thinking. The literature is more complex and the vocabulary is richer.
That may be true in some instances, but (for me) it can also be a stumbling block. For example: A Tale of Two Cities - I'm sure it's a fantastic novel. (At least that's what the reviews say) But I just cannot get into to for its archaic style. It's helpful to remember that writers back in those days got paid per word. So it makes sense they would stretch it out as long as they possibly could. And when that happens it becomes drab to me. IMO

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟247,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Plus, I'd rather read a good story that's simplistic in nature than wade thru pages of pseudo intellectual nonsense that gets nowhere. I've had those type of books, and I regret ever buying them. Same for comedy..(Depending on the length), if I don't laugh within a certain time-frame, I put it down or turn it off. My time is precious.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That may be true in some instances, but (for me) it can also be a stumbling block. For example: A Tale of Two Cities - I'm sure it's a fantastic novel. (At least that's what the reviews say) But I just cannot get into to for its archaic style. It's helpful to remember that writers back in those days got paid per word. So it makes sense they would stretch it out as long as they possibly could. And when that happens it becomes drab to me. IMO

That’s correct. It depends on your purpose. If you’re reading for enjoyment some books are better suited for leisure. Longer books like that are easier to digest when your rhythm and pace are better.

That happens through familiarity (similar genres) or periods of time. When I started my classics challenge I read in batches. Similar themes reappear and the pace quickens.

But if you’re reading to hone craft as a writer you’d make different selections. Dickens is known for plotting. Many have studied his form. Including Rowling.

I’ve nearly finished his canon. But I enjoy English literature. Especially Bildungsroman and novels of manners.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Plus, I'd rather read a good story that's simplistic in nature than wade thru pages of pseudo intellectual nonsense that gets nowhere. I've had those type of books, and I regret ever buying them. Same for comedy..(Depending on the length), if I don't laugh within a certain time-frame, I put it down or turn it off. My time is precious.

I read non-fiction and classics. At the end of the year I binge on Agatha Christie and cozy mysteries to give my mind some rest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟247,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That’s correct. It depends on your purpose. If you’re reading for enjoyment some books are better suited for leisure. Longer books like that are easier to digest when your rhythm and pace are better.

That happens through familiarity (similar genres) or periods of time. When I started my classics challenge I read in batches. Similar themes reappear and the pace quickens.

But if you’re reading to hone craft as a writer you’d make different selections. Dickens is known for plotting. Many have studied his form. Including Rowling.

I’ve nearly finished his canon. But I enjoy English literature. Especially Bildungsroman and novels of manners.
I keep a very eclectic taste of literature. But perhaps I did need dig my heels in and give Dickens another shot. What kind of writing do you do?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I keep a very eclectic taste of literature. But perhaps I did need dig my heels in and give Dickens another shot. What kind of writing do you do?

My writing is educational/informational. I like doing motivational pieces. But I’m working my way through fiction for the experience. As for publishing, I’ll focus on lifestyle (food, fashion, decor) and self-help. I read a lot and cover roughly 150 titles per year. I prefer books over articles on the Internet.

Creative pursuits require my attention at present. I’ve doubled my sewing classes and have woodworking and another on my plate. I’m progressing quickly and learning a lot.

Start with Austen instead.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟247,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My writing is educational/informational. I like doing motivational pieces. But I’m working my way through fiction for the experience. As for publishing, I’ll focus on lifestyle (food, fashion, decor) and self-help. I read a lot and cover roughly 150 titles per year. I prefer books over articles on the Internet.

Creative pursuits require my attention at present. I’ve doubled my sewing classes and have woodworking and another on my plate. I’m progressing quickly and learning a lot.

Start with Austen instead.
Pride and Prejudice is one I've had on the back-burner for a while. Eventually I will give it a try.
My main foray in writing is Christianity. I couldn't write about anything else if I tried.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Pride and Prejudice is one I've had on the back-burner for a while. Eventually I will give it a try.
My main foray in writing is Christianity. I couldn't write about anything else if I tried.

Storytelling is important. It brings the subject to life. You want to keep the reader engaged.

I don’t know if I’ll write a Christian book. I considered it in the past but many sound the same (for women). And those that don’t are vilified for being different.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟247,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Storytelling is important. It brings the subject to life. You want to keep the reader engaged.

I don’t know if I’ll write a Christian book. I considered it in the past but many sound the same (for women). And those that don’t are vilified for being different.
I understand. It's the same for men too. Much of it is watered down and fails to show the reality of evil we live in and the Person and work of Christ at the same time. When I read thru the OT, I can't help but to see how Holy Spirit chose to inspire the writers to write about some very graphic stuff. I plan to write short stories and then adapt them to the small screen.

Do you have any of your writing online for others to view?

Upvote 0