Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love grape tomatoes,but my fave are Cherry tomatoes,I eat them like candy.
Can totally relate, lol. I have to pretty much force myself to stop eating them like chips ;)

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Garden dried out enough, got more lettuce, spinach, 3 different kinds of beets, multi colored carrots planted today. Finally all danger of frost has passed, so going full steam planting mode

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Garden dried out enough, got more lettuce, spinach, 3 different kinds of beets, multi colored carrots planted today. Finally all danger of frost has passed, so going full steam planting mode
Glad all danger of frost has passed for you guys. Happy gardening! Do you know a good time to transplant my tomatoes [from pots] to the garden outisde? Mine are growing quite well but I feel like it's too early to plant them outside as the stems aren't that thick yet. I started them in late March. Perhaps I'll transplant one the roots start showing in the bottom.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks @Spirit Reborn,
I guess I determine that with the temps outside more than plant size. If its staying above 50 F at night, you can go ahead and transplant. First you need to "harden them off", take them outside for a couple hours of sun, somewhere out of the wind, the first day, then 5 or 6 hours the next day, about 5 days of this will toughen them up.
When transplanting tomatoes, i dig like an elongated hole and lay the tomato plant kind of horizontal or at an upward angle. Depending on how tall the plant is, leave a few branches and leaves above the dirt and cover the rest. The stalk thats under the dirt will then also sprout roots and be able to supply the plant with more water and nutrients than just planting the root ball.
Heres more info,How to Grow Your Own Tomatoes, Part 2: Transplanting - Modern Farmer
God bless and happy gardening

• Informative
Reactions: Take Heart
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks @Spirit Reborn,
I guess I determine that with the temps outside more than plant size. If its staying above 50 F at night, you can go ahead and transplant. First you need to "harden them off", take them outside for a couple hours of sun, somewhere out of the wind, the first day, then 5 or 6 hours the next day, about 5 days of this will toughen them up.
When transplanting tomatoes, i dig like an elongated hole and lay the tomato plant kind of horizontal or at an upward angle. Depending on how tall the plant is, leave a few branches and leaves above the dirt and cover the rest. The stalk thats under the dirt will then also sprout roots and be able to supply the plant with more water and nutrients than just planting the root ball.
Heres more info,How to Grow Your Own Tomatoes, Part 2: Transplanting - Modern Farmer
God bless and happy gardening
Great tips-Thanks brother, I'll look into the links!

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Its winter, but I have already been talking to dad about spring planting. We have many plans. I am mostly a flower gardener, I leave the fruits and vegetables up to my parents.

Reactions: Take Heart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I should also considering planting more fruittrees ( secret guerilla gardening but asking the owner first )I am in a dilemma, if I pick fruit from our trees and let it be pressed in a professional press, no cooking at home, no smear, the head of the house threathen to burn all fruittrees each year, and constantly chops down whole fruittrees. He still likes the juice and drinks it. Last year I only harvested 1/4 of the harvest and He still got angry, but if we would have had no juices I think He would have been very sad too. I think He want it to rain applejuicebottles and they do not crash when they hit the ground then one can collect them in a bucket... unfortunatedly nature is not like that. It takes sometimes 7 years before a tree produces fruit so cutting it down because I harvest in autumn instead of folding clothes one afternoon because the weather is fine is like wasting years and a cruel form of punishment.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can totally relate, lol. I have to pretty much force myself to stop eating them like chips ;)

Cherry tomatoes taste sweet - agree - but that quote in the end that You have You know I think It might not be over even if You stop breathing, I think God's purpose for Your life can be restored even then. We know a little here on earth. We should not quit trusting or reaching out to God ever nor on earth breathing or above earth on our way to Heaven not breathing. We are not going to live on this earth forever.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cherry tomatoes taste sweet - agree - but that quote in the end that You have You know I think It might not be over even if You stop breathing, I think God's purpose for Your life can be restored even then. We know a little here on earth. We should not quit trusting or reaching out to God ever nor on earth breathing or above earth on our way to Heaven not breathing. We are not going to live on this earth forever.
Tomatoes are of course susceptible to the cold; some can get killed off by heavy frosts. But yes they are a great plant to grow if in the right conditions.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tomatoes are of course susceptible to the cold; some can get killed off by heavy frosts. But yes they are a great plant to grow if in the right conditions.

We plant the seeds inside and use greehouses for an early start. Some grow them in winter too in greenhouses with extralight and warmth.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We plant the seeds inside and use greehouses for an early start. Some grow them in winter too in greenhouses with extralight and warmth.
Sounds like a good idea; I reckon you guys in Finland get very cold winters.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a good idea; I reckon you guys in Finland get very cold winters.
It was colder 30 years ago. Then temperatures above -30 degrees celsius was not too rare for longer periods. Sometimes -40. Now we have maybe a few days - 30 rarely -40 at the coast. In Lapland in the north it can still sometimes get -40 and in the inner parts I suppose. The feeling to the face then is really cold especially if it blows a cold wind. The coldest Place I ever visited was northern Russia as a tourist and the temperature was about - 50 degrees celsius and heavy wind. I stood in the wind for about 15 minutes and thought it was incredibly cold. Nothing grew there. It was above treezone and a poisoned area.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I and our youngest daughter did plant alot of tulips in pink, purple and white and narcissus in the floralbeds last autumn, I also planted a huge old rosty pot of red parrottulips and covered it in moss. That is waiting until summer. I took up the gladioulus bulbs for vinter and will be planting them early spring in big pots.

Upvote 0