Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So what are your plans/work-in-progress as far as planting/growing is concerned (flowers, veggies, fruits, herbs, etc)? I'll share pics of mine tomorrow if I remember. They're tiny things still, but I think it'd be great to see pictures of what you're planting so far this year :)

I've got tomatoes, sunflowers, and basil growing so far. I'm hoping to plant sweet potatoes this year as I've had previous success a few years ago with just potatoes, so it should work out hopefully. I'm especially excited this year about gardening in general because..I haven't done any sort of growing in years, and I really miss it.

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Tomatoes, white onions, Tomatillos, and various peppers (Jalapenos and maybe bell peppers, Habanero and Serano peppers) - basically ingredients for salsa lol. I want to plant garlic, but heard that it takes 2+ years to mature - not sure if that's true or not.

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to plant Habaneros sooo bad. Then I did. And I found out that it is too wet were I am at for the proper heat levels to build up, so they tasted like a watered down soggy pepper.

You can do garlic in one year but the bulbs are smaller than if you let it go two or three.
Oh lol, yeah peppers do well in this climate region. I love experimenting with different varieties of peppers, but one year learned the hard way about cross-pollination. I had tam peppers (a hybrid type which basically have no heat) and Cayenne peppers growing close to each other. I bit into a mature tam pepper and ended up in a world of pain...lesson learned...

I might try garlic after all, thanks.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Spinach, pak choi, daikon radish so far for winter veges.
Coriander for herbs.
Flowers its autumn now going into winter but may see if I can snag more hellebores for an empty bed I cant seem to do much with. Sweet peas have self seeded in my place but I would like to have masses growin over a trellis at the community garden.

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My lil green plants.jpg
I know it's not impressive, but these are my lil green plants so far. Starting from the left, I have 2 aloe vera plants that I bought because I plan to use for my skin as a natural moisturizer/mask, then beside those are my tomatos, then the ones with the BBQ sticks are my sunflowers. And the ones in the little peat pots are basil. And they've just sprouted a couple days ago. I'm one proud 'momma' xD. I haven't grown anything in years..and I'm very much a newbie gardener so this stuff is exciting. I love the process of watching them grow, it's quite rewarding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sunflowers, tomatoes (Amish Paste and Cherokee Purple), corn, asparagus, green beans, sugar peas, zucchini, pumpkins, peppers (Jalapeno, Bell, Cayenne), cabbage, cauliflower, garlic, radishes, beets, purple potatoes, carrots, pickling cucumbers, onions, rosemary, basil, oregano, dill, wild tobacco, and about a bazillion flowers to attract bees and other pollinators and keep pests away.
Woww, that is awesome :0 I hope to be able to live off of my backyard someday.

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tomatoes, white onions, Tomatillos, and various peppers (Jalapenos and maybe bell peppers, Habanero and Serano peppers) - basically ingredients for salsa lol. I want to plant garlic, but heard that it takes 2+ years to mature - not sure if that's true or not.
I'm not sure either, but salsa's amazing lol. Happy gardening!

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Spinach, pak choi, daikon radish so far for winter veges.
Coriander for herbs.
Flowers its autumn now going into winter but may see if I can snag more hellebores for an empty bed I cant seem to do much with. Sweet peas have self seeded in my place but I would like to have masses growin over a trellis at the community garden.
Yum, that sounds lovely and the trellis idea is great. We grow green beans/snap peas in a trellis and it turned out pretty well. Happy gardening!

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With my toddler, we are going to plant Zinnas and Wildflowers in a little plant bed of her own. She loves flowers , and I was given the seeds and think they will grow easily. Otherwise, I have an indoor kitchen herb garden with cilantro, basil, rosemary, and chives. Out door I hope to do tomatoes, kale, and beets this year. I want to do more but don't have much time to attend to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With my toddler, we are going to plant Zinnas and Wildflowers in a little plant bed of her own. She loves flowers , and I was given the seeds and think they will grow easily. Otherwise, I have an indoor kitchen herb garden with cilantro, basil, rosemary, and chives. Out door I hope to do tomatoes, kale, and beets this year. I want to do more but don't have much time to attend to it.
Awe, that's so cute ♥ I'm sure your little one will enjoy the entire experience! I know I did when I was little- we had this bean and we planted it in a styrofoam cup and in a few days, it sprouted and I was so thrilled and happy to know that I took part in that. Those sound yummy, happy gardening! :)

Reactions: mina
Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Woo! Sunflowers are so pretty and I especially can't wait to harvest the seeds! (or whatever the birds leave for me xD)

I agree,Sunflowers are my fave.

• Friendly
Reactions: Take Heart
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
High Tunnel ; corn, green beans (bush and pole), Peppers (bell, jalapeño, anaheim chili, lipstick, green salsa, habanero), garlic, cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes (roma, tomatillo, early girl, still trying different heirloom varieties), zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, basil, oregano, chamomile, assortment of flowers.

Outdoor garden ; sweet peas, swiss chard, leaf lettuce, mustard greens, spinach, kale, beets, turnips, carrots, onions, cilantro, parsnips, potatoes (yukon gold, russet, red, sweet potato), horseradish.

Have only been here two seasons and we are trying to establish a fruit orchard. There were two mature crabapple trees. We have added, apple (honey crisp, prairie gold, norlund), wild plum (prunus americana), cherry (pin, choke, dwarf, hanses bush), blueberry (saskatoon, dwarf top hat, others) gooseberries.

The only planting in so far is some leaf lettuce, kale, and spinach.
Happy gardening

Reactions: Take Heart
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
High Tunnel ; corn, green beans (bush and pole), Peppers (bell, jalapeño, anaheim chili, lipstick, green salsa, habanero), garlic, cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes (roma, tomatillo, early girl, still trying different heirloom varieties), zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, basil, oregano, chamomile, assortment of flowers.

Outdoor garden ; sweet peas, swiss chard, leaf lettuce, mustard greens, spinach, kale, beets, turnips, carrots, onions, cilantro, parsnips, potatoes (yukon gold, russet, red, sweet potato), horseradish.

Have only been here two seasons and we are trying to establish a fruit orchard. There were two mature crabapple trees. We have added, apple (honey crisp, prairie gold, norlund), wild plum (prunus americana), cherry (pin, choke, dwarf, hanses bush), blueberry (saskatoon, dwarf top hat, others) gooseberries.

The only planting in so far is some leaf lettuce, kale, and spinach.
Happy gardening
That sounds amazing :0 I can't wait to grow fruit trees of my own. For the sweet potato, did you buy them from the supermarket, cut out the 'eyes' then planted them in the ground? I called in to my local garden centre and they had no sweet potatoes for growing so just wondering how you got yours.

Upvote 0