Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I order mine on line, from GA, I think. I order a lot of my seeds from online sources as well. I will try to look it up
Ah, I see. Oh that's okay, I'll most likely get mine from the supermarket and try to grow from there as I've had success before from potatoes in general :) Thank you anyway- I appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I forgot, the plants that keep on giving without much work, Horseradish, Chives, and Rhubarb. Once you get these established, all you do is pick/dig it when you want.
Oh good to know, we actually have chives already that keep coming back every year : ) also, never knew Rhubarb would do that- I'll look into that more as it'd be great for rhubarb pie!

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have a garden that has a lot of plumtrees, appletrees a few peartrees and quite some rosebushes that spread an aroma in summer. Last year I did get peonies flowering too. I have also sown peonies from seed for five years ago and hope they soon some summer start to bloom. Every spring we have peppermint, applemint and asparagus and every autumn the squirrels leave about five hazelnuts left for us although we have three trees. Tulips leafs are peeking up now and some things in the nature is budding. The spruce and pine in the forest is the only green thing still so it looks rather dull still. We have rhubarb, blackberry (russian) and yellow raspberry, blackcurrant, and in the forest there is blueberry, seabuckthorn, raspberry, cranberry etc. This year I have white and purple gladiolus that is already a metre high waiting to get out and pink huge papaver somniferum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right now I'm growing kidney beans, chives, and lentils. I might also grow strawberries or cherry tomatoes and some kind of herb (like maybe mint or basil).

Here's a picture of the kidney bean plant, which is almost 2 feet tall now: upload_2017-5-6_13-45-24.png
There is also a lentil plant, but you can barely see it in that picture. I had to use a plastic fork as a "trellis" at first...the cup I started the plants in wasn't really big enough for anything else.
Now they're growing in a much larger container that I filled with sand at the bottom and on top I put coffee grounds, paper, egg shells, and spanish moss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am soon going to repot what I did sow a month ago. About 500 -600 plants mainly flowers but also a saladmix, Ruffled Viola in many colors, some white big flowering aromatic salvia. Some blue turkish dragonsalvia, papayaseed was too old and I do not know if they grow. I have also found about 15 bags of ripe flowerseeds to sow in the garden and a few giant pumpkins to fight among the nettles. We'll see what time and effort I'll put into it. I have land enough.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I forgot, we are also adding Goji berry, or wolf berry to our orchard somewhere. We have around 8 plants of three different varieties. They overwintered in pots from last year, and we are trying to decide where to plant them. Read they grow into a hedge 7-10 feet high and prefer week drained soil, which we don't have.
Does anyone have any experience with Goji's?

Reactions: Take Heart
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have a garden that has a lot of plumtrees, appletrees a few peartrees and quite some rosebushes that spread an aroma in summer. Last year I did get peonies flowering too. I have also sown peonies from seed for five years ago and hope they soon some summer start to bloom. Every spring we have peppermint, applemint and asparagus and every autumn the squirrels leave about five hazelnuts left for us although we have three trees. Tulips leafs are peeking up now and some things in the nature is budding. The spruce and pine in the forest is the only green thing still so it looks rather dull still. We have rhubarb, blackberry (russian) and yellow raspberry, blackcurrant, and in the forest there is blueberry, seabuckthorn, raspberry, cranberry etc. This year I have white and purple gladiolus that is already a metre high waiting to get out and pink huge papaver somniferum.
ooh, I LOVE fruit trees! Lol..5 hazelnuts :o they sure are fast. Peonies are beautiful- I once went to this peony garden that was open to the public. They were so big and pretty. Gladiolus are pretty as well : )

Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right now I'm growing kidney beans, chives, and lentils. I might also grow strawberries or cherry tomatoes and some kind of herb (like maybe mint or basil).

Here's a picture of the kidney bean plant, which is almost 2 feet tall now:View attachment 196064
There is also a lentil plant, but you can barely see it in that picture. I had to use a plastic fork as a "trellis" at first...the cup I started the plants in wasn't really big enough for anything else.
Now they're growing in a much larger container that I filled with sand at the bottom and on top I put coffee grounds, paper, egg shells, and spanish moss.
Beautiful! It's definitely coming along nicely : ) Yeah cherry tomatoes is something I've been thinking of as well just because they have quite a high yield overall. Smart thinking with the fork. I've never thought to use one as trellis, but will consider in the future!

Reactions: DavidaAC
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For the Goji berries it could much depend on winterhardiness and how much clay You have in the soil. Too much clay means it hold moisture in rainy periods and that is not good. So dig a big hole , lenght of an arm in diametre is what I mean. ( edit ) for each plant and mix in 30 % sand with the soil. The soil should not be very black, rather brown. That means the majority of the organic break down of the compost has taken place already so it does not get too much "food" and nutrients. Give major nutrients NPK and calsium in spring and only autumn nutrients PK in autumn to help with winterhardyness if You think it could die. The muddy soil could kill it too in early spring because water is icy in mud but not in sandy soil as it usually drains easier away. It can not start shooting buds if there is still ice in the muddy soil because it can not drink water and then the plant die. That is one reason sand is better. Draining works. You can also water it in spring on a sandy soil and it will drain easier. It wont in a muddy soil as easy. You could cover the small gojiplants with oakleaf and sprucetwigs the first years if You are afraid that they shoot buds too early in spring and have not enough water and die or are afraid the frost take them if You live in a colder climate. The older they get the stronger they get.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember one summer when I bought a bushy cherry tomato plant and I put it in a big pot. We got over 200 cherrytomatoes that summer from the plant.
Whoa, that's awesome! Is that the average it yields or the highest you've experienced so far?

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We love the cherry tomatoes, my wife's favorite is the grape tomato. The flavor is great in salads or just eaten by themselves!
Heres a good read about tomatoes
The Average Yield of a Tomato Plant
Pay attention to the determinate and indeterminate varieties when choosing tomato plants.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We love the cherry tomatoes, my wife's favorite is the grape tomato. The flavor is great in salads or just eaten by themselves!
Heres a good read about tomatoes
The Average Yield of a Tomato Plant
Pay attention to the determinate and indeterminate varieties when choosing tomato plants.
Agreed, grape tomatoes are great! & Thanks for the link! It's very helpful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Humble me Lord

Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Goji's claim zone 2 to 7. When we had our well drilled, they said it we had 135 feet of solid clay! We do have a slight slope to the 10 acres around the house, and there are drainage problems in certain spots. All of our tree plantings, we have added sand/peat/soil mixture and have had good results, except for raspberry and blackberry starts. Down the road I am considering installing some underground drainage pipe.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟709,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Agreed, grape tomatoes are great! & Thanks for the link! It's very helpful.

I love grape tomatoes,but my fave are Cherry tomatoes,I eat them like candy.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whoa, that's awesome! Is that the average it yields or the highest you've experienced so far?
I planted that variety once and had it in good soil in a huge pot on a warm balcony and watered it and gave it loads of tomatonutrients both in soil and some on the leaf ( sprayed when there was no sunny day) and I believe I had chickendung in the soil too. I bought the plant from a florist. Usually cherrytomatoes go well outside here but better in a greenhouse. Common tomatoes are best grown in greenhouses where I live. Perlite is also great to mix into the soil, about 10-15%.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have only read about and sold Goji and seen and heard other grow them here but I have expierience with growing onion in clay with extreme weedproblems at moms house and on a rainy summer we had the biggest tastiest onions in the store when we had time to get all weed off. In the autumn however we got a mold problem with some of the harvest and that did of course not get sold. That became compost. If it did not rain much we had to water and the clay holds water if it rains but when it is really dry it can be tricky. So eaven though one should not crow a certain crop on clay it could turn out to be the best crop some summers. It depends on many factors. Like I would advice against taking compost from the church as mom did because it was not well done and it was basically all fresh weeds and their seeds and planting that in Your soil, naa. Better use fresh grassclippings and let the life in the earth eat and digest. Put some burned horse or cowdung in, in spring too that is usually cheap or free too.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The russian blackberry grows in a high zone but some blackberries that originates from Europe grows in a lower zone. The russian is very sweet and quite big too but it need a place to spread because it spreads underground and has thorns. It shoots up on the grass and gets cut every year here at our place. It also needs to be harvested every day because otherwise the berries start to mold. But they are delicate when they are ripe. The berries grow on the second year on the twig. It should not be given too much fertilizer. It might not give fruit and grow weak then.

Upvote 0