What are the important things to learn as a Christian?

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I have very little knowledge of my own religion, which is a shame... So I want to know, what should I learn and what should I study?

For example, which Bible verses should I learn? What is the history of Christianity? What are the most important teachings of Christ?

Being close to God is most important.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 22:36-40

Being a Christian is about having a loving relationship with God. Just try to get to know Him better and understand Him. We are all still learning about Him and growing in our Christian lives. If you can fulfil the scripture above that is the requirement. All else comes from this.

Too often I see people make Christianity a complicate and intellectual thing. I think it should be simple. God does not exclude people because of their perceived intelligence and ability to understand complex doctrine of particular sects, denominations, etc. He said come to me as the little children. Just enjoy Him.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it strange that most Christians say Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses are cult people.
While they may have some strange ideas as to the origin of things, they have the gospel message correct! It also reminds me of the Rastafari of Jamaica. They have the character of God correct but the name wrong.

Thats not true.

JW's believe that Jesus is not God but a lesser spirit, he was not physically resurrected from the cross and it was only a spiritual resurrection and that he dies on a pole, not a cross. They also dont believe in the Holy Spirit as a person, but only as Gods work. They say the Holy Trinity is a false doctrine.

Mormons believe that Joseph Smiths visions over rule the Bible. They have a umber of questionable beliefs including that God is a physical person who is married and that people can become Gods.

Neither are in line with the traditional church.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

I have very little knowledge of my own religion, which is a shame... So I want to know, what should I learn and what should I study?

For example, which Bible verses should I learn? What is the history of Christianity? What are the most important teachings of Christ?
As a disciple of Jesus it was important for me to start over again, forget everything I thought I knew, trust God like an unspoiled child. Go directly to the red letters and follow what Jesus said.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Simple answer is that the primary lesson book is the Bible, from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21.

Secondly, you should be an active and regular member in a church that seeks to be obedient to God and follow His truth of the Bible.

There are many, many resources on the history of Christianity, first and foremost being the Bible.

Philip Schaaf, History of the Christian faith is a good resource. (Not the exact title).
Studies of Augustine is worthwhile.
Studies of Martin Luther or John Calvin are also great places to start.

Many, many more.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would recommend reading about the Good Samaritan, for this is an example of someone who treated his neighbor the way he would want to be treated. You should pray for a calling as to what you should be reading and when. I read the entire Bible more than once. If you have time you might at least look at these books. Some you may not want to read frequently. The books of the Bible are not all equal. They vary in their accuracy. You will need guidance from God more than a single text book. If you study Biblical archaeology, you might find some information pertaining to the historical/non-historical debate about the Old Testament writings. This information was not available to people of Jesus' time on earth. Few modern readers will delve deeply into this subject. God is truth and does not lie. God might lead one into studying many subjects; learning talent and work skills too.

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses teach about Christ is fundamentally incompatible with what the Bible teaches.
the mormons and jehovas witness are to diferent things.
the first is good the later is bad.
I challenge you to give an example of fundamentally incompatible with the Bibles teachings that the mormons give( by the LDS church. not some sideline cult).
i think they are wrong about the book of mormon being history.
but they are the best behaving major religious group of people on earth. if you look statistically.
I actually got a vey good impression from them about Christianity. as I was raised non religious. and that was the first church I went to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you should first read genesis.
then get some basic understanding of the mosaic law. even though its not valid anymore. just to get some the context of the change jesus was demanding of the people he was talking to (can find in Wikipedia easily).
then read at least one of the gospel books.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For almost 500 years Lutherans have had a small book containing the essential teachings of Holy Scripture as an older child or a layperson should know them. In our churches the youth are taught from this book and from the Bible the basics of the Christian faith. Many of our young people are still required by their pastor to memorize all or major parts of the book as well as scripture passages from which they are drawn.

This book is called Luther's Small Catechism. It is available on the internet in several places, and a printed copy may be requested for free from just about any Lutheran pastor.

Luther’s Small Catechism by Dr. Martin Luther

Upvote 0

AnAlienHere

May 25, 2017
New England
✟7,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great question! I would encourage you to settle who Jesus really is (God in the flesh, Creator, Lord, future King), that Jesus' death and resurrection paid it all for you (you can add nothing to what Jesus did, so trust Him!), that He assures you of God's forgiveness, acceptance, love, and also nail down who Jesus makes you to be: through your trust in Christ you are forgiven, righteous, holy, a child of God, loved forever. Some awesome passages to study and learn from are Colossians 1-2. Ephesians 1-3. Romans 3-8.

Upvote 0

Myooran

May 23, 2017
London
✟15,673.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have chunks of the Sermon on the Mount memorized.

Here's a part of it...

Seeing the crowds, He went up on the mountain, and when He sat down, His disciples came to Him. And He opened His mouth and taught them, saying...

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I didn't copy-paste that. It's all by memory.
The Sermon on the Mount is just so beautiful. Jesus has made it so clear what is right and wrong.

Upvote 0

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm glad you know what that is. I'm not quite sure yet myself. Those youtube clips are well made though. have a look at them. there is nothing that is way off base in my view. Perhaps theologians could find something. I cant yet.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with that particular video. What I am saying is that Mormons masquerade as Christians and the deeper you go into their doctrine the further away from truth you will go. For example, Mormons believe that Jesus Christ was born spiritually in heaven before he came to earth. They teach that all humans were born spiritually before their life here. Jesus, of course, was the best of the litter so he was designated to come to earth in a special way, that is, that God the Father had physical intimacy with Mary. Of course, this takes away from the eternal deity of Christ. Furthermore, if we were to go back far enough in time, they teach, we will find that "Heavenly Father" originated in this same way in another universe by another god. And so goes the pattern. These are just small, yet significant, doctrines that are taught which are contrary to the gospel of Christ handed down to us by the Apostles.

I am not trying to be prideful of knowledge or condemning to Mormons, I am just pointing out that what they really believe is not the same as what true Christianity believes. They use wonderfully produced videos and writings to lure people in and then, once they have their minds, teach them what they truly believe. If you don't believe me, check them out, but be careful and do it with much prayer!

Upvote 0

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the mormons and jehovas witness are to diferent things.
the first is good the later is bad.
I challenge you to give an example of fundamentally incompatible with the Bibles teachings that the mormons give( by the LDS church. not some sideline cult).
i think they are wrong about the book of mormon being history.
but they are the best behaving major religious group of people on earth. if you look statistically.
I actually got a vey good impression from them about Christianity. as I was raised non religious. and that was the first church I went to.
The following link and quote are from a known LDS teacher Mark A. Brown (who also writes for lds.org). Here, he teaches that Jesus, like all humans, were spiritually born in the premortal world before they were born in the physical (mortal) world. The Bible teaches that Jesus is eternally God the Son and that "in the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." Jesus said, "I and the Father are one," and, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." Jesus also freely and openly accepted worship from his followers. Nothing was made that was not made by him. Jesus identified himself as "I Am". Mormons reject this.

What do Mormons Believe about the Birth of Christ?
"When we speak of ourselves being the children of God, we mean that we are all spirit children of God. In other words, in the premortal world each of us was begotten and born as a spirit child of our Heavenly Parents (The Family: A Proclamation to the World). In this sense, our birth was no different from Jesus’s birth because he was also a spirit child of God and was the Firstborn (DC 93:21)." Mark A. Matthews.

Matthews is saying that before his physical life on earth, he was spiritually born in heave. (This is one example, let me know if you need more). "Heavenly Father" had spiritual sex with heavenly mother. That is contrary to what the Bible teaches. By the way, you dismiss the book of Mormon as being historical (and I agree). If that is the case, why do you believe any of it?

I agree, Mormons demonstrate virtuous behavior. So do a lot of Buddhist and Muslims, but that doesn't make them Christian. Here is the thing: behavior doesn't get us to heaven, believing God's Word gets us to heaven. And Jesus is God's Word!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following link and quote are from a known LDS teacher Mark A. Brown (who also writes for lds.org). Here, he teaches that Jesus, like all humans, were spiritually born in the premortal world before they were born in the physical (mortal) world. The Bible teaches that Jesus is eternally God the Son and that "in the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." Jesus said, "I and the Father are one," and, "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." Jesus also freely and openly accepted worship from his followers. Nothing was made that was not made by him. Jesus identified himself as "I Am". Mormons reject this.

What do Mormons Believe about the Birth of Christ?
"When we speak of ourselves being the children of God, we mean that we are all spirit children of God. In other words, in the premortal world each of us was begotten and born as a spirit child of our Heavenly Parents (The Family: A Proclamation to the World). In this sense, our birth was no different from Jesus’s birth because he was also a spirit child of God and was the Firstborn (DC 93:21)." Mark A. Matthews.

Matthews is saying that before his physical life on earth, he was spiritually born in heave. (This is one example, let me know if you need more). "Heavenly Father" had spiritual sex with heavenly mother. That is contrary to what the Bible teaches. By the way, you dismiss the book of Mormon as being historical (and I agree). If that is the case, why do you believe any of it?

I agree, Mormons demonstrate virtuous behavior. So do a lot of Buddhist and Muslims, but that doesn't make them Christian. Here is the thing: behavior doesn't get us to heaven, believing God's Word gets us to heaven. And Jesus is God's Word!
jesus most common way of referring to himself was "the son of man" הבן אדם. which is how people say "the human" in Hebrew(you can use google translate. if you don't belive me). word by word it means the son of adam.
so he could not be more clear that he is a human.
he could not be our role model for us if he wasen't

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi Brian! This is a booklet that I have put together for that purpose:

Adonai Reigns : The Gospel : God did not send his son to condemn the world!

And this video I saw yesterday must be for you too :)

Here is another video series that I recommend:

Upvote 0

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
jesus most common way of referring to himself was "the son of man" הבן אדם. which is how people say "the human" in Hebrew(you can use google translate. if you don't belive me). word by word it means the son of adam.
so he could not be more clear that he is a human.
he could not be our role model for us if he wasen't
You are correct, Sir! And the Bible also teaches that he is God. "The word became flesh and made his dwelling among us." So Christ is both man and God. As man, he can properly represent us before the judgment of God. As God, he is sufficient and able to take on the sacrifice for our sin.

However, that doesn't have anything to do with what Mormonism teaches.

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are correct, Sir! And the Bible also teaches that he is God. "The word became flesh and made his dwelling among us." So Christ is both man and God. As man, he can properly represent us before the judgment of God. As God, he is sufficient and able to take on the sacrifice for our sin.
if you understand he was a man than your objection is only to the premortal teachings.
I don't believe their pre mortal stuff. but one can easely belive in this and in jesus.
I really disagree that muslims on average show good behavior. they have horrible treatment of eachother and even more of non muslims.
and this is the way jesus said people should tell if someone is his dispel or not.
john 13:35 "By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another."
so according to jesus the Mormon are one of the best religious groups.
by the way I don't apresiate being called "sir!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ajushi

Jan 1, 2010
✟20,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We must be born again of the Holy Spirit. Repentance and remission of sins through receiving Jesus grace.

From there we must be washed and regenerated through the renewing of the Holy Ghost

This is Sanctifying the Lord God in our hearts

Important to ask God for the spiritual gifts, and ask God what our spiritual gifts are.

For those who have the need and desire for human intimacy, they should marry. There should be a high encouragement towards marriage amongst the Saints

Finally, It's crucial that we have fervent agape/love amongst ourselves, (amongst the saints).
This requires coming out and being separate. We do not have close fellowship with unbelievers.

The poor and needy among us, the suffering of the love starved, should be delivered from the hands of the unbelievers and nurtured in the Christian Body

Now finally this requires that we understand the magnitude of the problem in these end
Times of teachings, false prophets, daemonic activity, and unbelief and wrong friendships rampant in the churches nowadays.

My Advice to every Earnest, seeking Christian is to find a church that's trying to do something as much like acts chapter 2 through 5 as possible. This might be a new church, not an established one operating on dead religious doctrine, deception, or a long standing nepotistic buddy system for who is in "leadership." Moreover, I encourage people define themselves by loving God fearing spouse and a few close trusted fellowships. We have our needs met that way and operate outwardly from there, helping those saints who lack those needs, and evangelizing.

The alarming rate of singleness, and the almost complete absence of help and encouragement in that area, is by far the biggest crisis in the modern church in western nations . There is an extreme deficiency of love and acknowledgement of human needs. I advise the vulnerable saints to choose their friends carefully and uphold sound doctrine.
Ask God for wisdom about what is sound doctrine. Ask him for revelation in the Word, and to be protected always from false teachings and false prophecies.

Upvote 0