What are the important things to learn as a Christian?

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have very little knowledge of my own religion, which is a shame... So I want to know, what should I learn and what should I study?

For example, which Bible verses should I learn? What is the history of Christianity? What are the most important teachings of Christ?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Certainly the Bible. Read the whole Bible and learn what it says and what it means and you won't go wrong. But as a guide to what you'll find in Scripture the below is helpful:
  1. The Apostles' Creed (What the gospel is)
  2. The 10 Commandments (How Christians should live)
  3. The Lord's Prayer (How Christians should pray)
  4. The Means of Grace (How to grow as a Christian)

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd go for the Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel. Just google it.

^^^THIS!
If you can put aside the religious dogmas (before they hypnotize you) then look at the sermon on the mount!
Yeshua is laying out HIS character and the very character of the Creator. What He wants is for us to love Him for His character. Not only that, but actually becoming that character in real time in real life.
If you can find a way to grasp that and live that way then the very Spirit of God will come to you and let you know inside that YOU are a child of God.
I would avoid endless teachings from those who want you to join their group.

You are in the right place!

Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd go for the Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel. Just google it.

I have chunks of the Sermon on the Mount memorized.

Here's a part of it...

Seeing the crowds, He went up on the mountain, and when He sat down, His disciples came to Him. And He opened His mouth and taught them, saying...

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I didn't copy-paste that. It's all by memory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have very little knowledge of my own religion, which is a shame... So I want to know, what should I learn and what should I study?

For example, which Bible verses should I learn? What is the history of Christianity? What are the most important teachings of Christ?
JESUS said,
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God
with all thy heart, and with all thy soul,
and with all thy mind. This is the first and great

commandment. And the second is like unto it,
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these

two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
----------------------------------------------------------------------MATTHEW 22:36-40

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Mormons produced this one too.

I find it strange that most Christians say Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses are cult people.
While they may have some strange ideas as to the origin of things, they have the gospel message correct! It also reminds me of the Rastafari of Jamaica. They have the character of God correct but the name wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I find it strange that most Christians say Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses are cult people.
While they may have some strange ideas as to the origin of things, they have the gospel message correct! It also reminds me of the Rastafari of Jamaica. They have the character of God correct but the name wrong.
I'm guilty as charged. :)I'm just wary of their interpretation of the Bible. But that goes for any denom. I suppose.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm guilty as charged. :)I'm just wary of their interpretation of the Bible. But that goes for any denom. I suppose.

Don't you ever wonder why the bible is so confusing? Why there are so many interpretations?
I used to get mad at God. "Why didn't you just make it plain"? I would say.
Now I realize that the bible is a very special word. It allows for some to find the truth and for others to believe lies about the character of our Lord and God.
The deeper thing is that the TRUE children of God will recognize Him while those that try to enter the sheep gate by other means will be shocked to find that they were way off base.
What sets them apart is the heart of a person.

Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
how come? may I ask?

A big part of my life is the reading of educational, non-fiction writings related to physical fitness, philosophy, and religion.

But my time is limited, and religion makes up only a third of my study time. Which is why my Christian knowledge is weak.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A big part of my life is the reading of educational, non-fiction writings related to physical fitness, philosophy, and religion.

But my time is limited, and religion makes up only a third of my study time. Which is why my Christian knowledge is weak.
God is all in all.
You can be able to connect His creation with science and philosophy. It all fits. Keep searching.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Obedience is the most important thing to learn.
Sorry to interrupt but I think we should make it clear that Christianity stands for "love and obedience", not just "obedience". Don't you?

Upvote 0

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What's helped me the most is learning the incredible history behind the Bible and religions in general

Also, learning and studying scripture by checking what people say the Bible says. VS what the Bible actually says, comprehensively, on the topic

For example the false dichotomy that people claim the Bible teaches, which basically has people saying:

Satan / The devil = darkness
God = light

The scriptures do not make this distinction, in fact they state the exact opposite

I've learned an incredible amount about the Bible and Christianity based on the incorrect beliefs of others, basically

:)

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's helped me the most is learning the incredible history behind the Bible and religions in general

Also, learning and studying scripture by checking what people say the Bible says. VS what the Bible actually says, comprehensively, on the topic

For example the false dichotomy that people claim the Bible teaches, which basically has people saying:

Satan / The devil = darkness
God = light

The scriptures do not make this distinction, in fact they state the exact opposite

I've learned an incredible amount about the Bible and Christianity based on the incorrect beliefs of others, basically

:)
Ephesians 5:11

Acts 26:18

Upvote 0