What are the important things to learn as a Christian?

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Ephesians 5:11

Acts 26:18

I will wager you have done zero comprehensive studies in the topic, and are instead looking to argue simply based on a few verses

There are over 140 verses that mention darkness, and they use different, but related words

Do you know them and what the verses talk about ?

Check out a comprehensive list sometime

And if you just want to throw verses out there

Psalm 139:11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me
Psalm 139:12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee

Upvote 0

FrankDux

Dec 12, 2016
USA
✟14,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Ephesians 5:11 and Acts 26:18, use

σκοτος skotos {skot'-os}
from the base of 4639; TDNT - 7:423,1049; n n AV - darkness 32; 32 1) darkness 1a) of night darkness 1b) of darkened eyesight or blindness 2) metaph. 2a) of ignorance respecting divine things and human duties, and the accompanying ungodliness and immorality, together with their consequent misery in hell 2b) persons in whom darkness becomes visible and holds sway

Your mistake is thinking that is cognate to the Hebrew words for darkness

We start with the first darkness mentioned

Genesis 1:2

" And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters "

חשך choshek {kho-shek'} from 2821, - darkness ,dark ,obscurity ,night ,darkness , obscurity ,darkness ,secret place

Nothing about Satan there......

Then, we find a different " darkness " in the narrative:

Genesis 15:12

" And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him "

חשכה chashekah {khash-ay-kaw'} or חשכה chashekah {khash-ay-kaw'} from 2821; TWOT - 769c; n f AV - darkness 5; 5 1) darkness

Both חשך choshek and חשכה chashekah are from 2821

חשך chashak {khaw-shak'} a primitive root; TWOT - - darken , dark , blacker , darkness , dim , , variant ; to be or become dark, grow dim, be darkened, be black, be hidden, to be or grow dark, to have a dark color , to grow dim , to make dark, cause to be dark, to hide, conceal,to obscure, confuse (figurative)

( See the Akkadian adaru , to grow dark, gloomy, cognate to Hebrew Adar, when the Moon grows dark, or red in the event of a lunar eclipse AKA " Blood Moon " )

Then, there is

Exodus 20:21

" And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was "

ערפל `araphel {ar-aw-fel'} probably from 6201; TWOT - 1701b; n m AV - thick darkness 8, darkness 3, gross darkness 2, dark cloud 1, dark 1; 15 1) cloud, heavy or dark cloud, darkness, gross darkness, thick darkness

No Satan there

Then there is

Joshua 24:7

And when they cried unto the LORD, he put darkness between you and the Egyptians, and brought the sea upon them, and covered them; and your eyes have seen what I have done in Egypt: and ye dwelt in the wilderness a long season.

מאפל ma'aphel {mah-af-ale'} from the same as 651; TWOT - 145e; n m AV - darkness 1; 1 1) darkness

from

אפל 'aphel {aw-fale'} from an unused root meaning to set as the sun; , - very dark; gloomy, dark

( See The Akkadian adaru and Hebrew cognate, again )

No Satan there...

There is also

Job 12:22

He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death

צלמות tsalmaveth {tsal-maw'-veth} from 06738 and 04194; TWOT - 1921b; n m AV - shadow of death 18; 18 1) death-shadow, deep shadow, deep darkness, shadow of death 1a) death-shadow 1b) death-shadow, deep shadow, darkness 1c) death-shadow (of distress, extreme danger) (fig) 1d) death-shadow (of place of the dead) (fig)

פך pak {pak} from 6379; TWOT - 1767a; n m AV - box 2, vial 1; 3 1) vial, flask

פכה pakah {paw-kaw'} a primitive root; TWOT - 1767b; v AV - ran out 1; 1 1) to trickle, pour 1a) (Piel) to trickle, drop down (water)

מות maveth {maw'-veth} from 04191; TWOT - 1169a; n m AV - death 128, die 22, dead 8, deadly 1, slay 1; 160 1) death, dying, Death (personified), realm of the dead 1a) death 1b) death by violence (as a penalty) 1c) state of death, place of death

No Satan there

Psalm 88:6 Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps.

מחשך machshak {makh-shawk'} from 2821; TWOT - 769d; n m AV - darkness 4, dark places 2, dark 1; 7 1) dark place, darkness, secrecy 1a) hiding-place 1b) dark region 1c) grave

חשך chashak {khaw-shak'} a primitive root; TWOT - - darken , dark , blacker , darkness , dim , , variant ; to be or become dark, grow dim, be darkened, be black, be hidden, to be or grow dark, to have a dark color , to grow dim , to make dark, cause to be dark, to hide, conceal,to obscure, confuse (figurative)

אפל 'ophel {o'fel} from the same as 0651; TWOT - 145a; n m AV - darkness 7, privily 1, obscurity 1; 9 1) darkness, gloom 2) spiritual unreceptivity, calamity (fig.)

from

אפל 'aphel {aw-fale'} from an unused root meaning to set as the sun; , - very dark; gloomy, dark ( See adaru )

And again, no Satan or devil

Now, I could do all 140 + verses, and we would all see that this false dichotomy is based on nothing more than scriptural ignorance, and that the topic is nowhere near as black and white as people would like to claim as

Satan = darkness and God = light

In fact, I bet you've missed some very crucial things by simply thinking that's true, because it's certainly not what the scriptures support

• Haha
Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ephesians 5:11 and Acts 26:18, use

σκοτος skotos {skot'-os}
from the base of 4639; TDNT - 7:423,1049; n n AV - darkness 32; 32 1) darkness 1a) of night darkness 1b) of darkened eyesight or blindness 2) metaph. 2a) of ignorance respecting divine things and human duties, and the accompanying ungodliness and immorality, together with their consequent misery in hell 2b) persons in whom darkness becomes visible and holds sway

Your mistake is thinking that is cognate to the Hebrew words for darkness

We start with the first darkness mentioned

Genesis 1:2

" And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters "

חשך choshek {kho-shek'} from 2821, - darkness ,dark ,obscurity ,night ,darkness , obscurity ,darkness ,secret place

Nothing about Satan there......

Then, we find a different " darkness " in the narrative:

Genesis 15:12

" And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him "

חשכה chashekah {khash-ay-kaw'} or חשכה chashekah {khash-ay-kaw'} from 2821; TWOT - 769c; n f AV - darkness 5; 5 1) darkness

Both חשך choshek and חשכה chashekah are from 2821

( See the Akkadian adaru , to grow dark, gloomy, cognate to Hebrew Adar, when the Moon grows dark, or red in the event of a lunar eclipse AKA " Blood Moon " )

Then, there is

Exodus 20:21

" And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was "

ערפל `araphel {ar-aw-fel'} probably from 6201; TWOT - 1701b; n m AV - thick darkness 8, darkness 3, gross darkness 2, dark cloud 1, dark 1; 15 1) cloud, heavy or dark cloud, darkness, gross darkness, thick darkness

No Satan there

Then there is

Joshua 24:7

And when they cried unto the LORD, he put darkness between you and the Egyptians, and brought the sea upon them, and covered them; and your eyes have seen what I have done in Egypt: and ye dwelt in the wilderness a long season.

מאפל ma'aphel {mah-af-ale'} from the same as 651; TWOT - 145e; n m AV - darkness 1; 1 1) darkness

from

אפל 'aphel {aw-fale'} from an unused root meaning to set as the sun; , - very dark; gloomy, dark

( See The Akkadian adaru and Hebrew cognate, again )

No Satan there...

There is also

Job 12:22

He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death

צלמות tsalmaveth {tsal-maw'-veth} from 06738 and 04194; TWOT - 1921b; n m AV - shadow of death 18; 18 1) death-shadow, deep shadow, deep darkness, shadow of death 1a) death-shadow 1b) death-shadow, deep shadow, darkness 1c) death-shadow (of distress, extreme danger) (fig) 1d) death-shadow (of place of the dead) (fig)

פך pak {pak} from 6379; TWOT - 1767a; n m AV - box 2, vial 1; 3 1) vial, flask

פכה pakah {paw-kaw'} a primitive root; TWOT - 1767b; v AV - ran out 1; 1 1) to trickle, pour 1a) (Piel) to trickle, drop down (water)

מות maveth {maw'-veth} from 04191; TWOT - 1169a; n m AV - death 128, die 22, dead 8, deadly 1, slay 1; 160 1) death, dying, Death (personified), realm of the dead 1a) death 1b) death by violence (as a penalty) 1c) state of death, place of death

No Satan there

Psalm 88:6 Thou hast laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in the deeps.

מחשך machshak {makh-shawk'} from 2821; TWOT - 769d; n m AV - darkness 4, dark places 2, dark 1; 7 1) dark place, darkness, secrecy 1a) hiding-place 1b) dark region 1c) grave

אפל 'ophel {o'fel} from the same as 0651; TWOT - 145a; n m AV - darkness 7, privily 1, obscurity 1; 9 1) darkness, gloom 2) spiritual unreceptivity, calamity (fig.)

from

אפל 'aphel {aw-fale'} from an unused root meaning to set as the sun; , - very dark; gloomy, dark ( See adaru )

And again, no Satan or devil

Now, I could do all 140 + verses, and we would all see that this false dichotomy is based on nothing more than scriptural ignorance, and that the topic is nowhere near as black and white as people would like to claim as

Satan = darkness and God = light

In fact, I bet you've missed some very crucial things by simply thinking that's true, because it's certainly not what the scriptures support
the word has more than one meaning.

Upvote 0

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find it strange that most Christians say Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses are cult people.
While they may have some strange ideas as to the origin of things, they have the gospel message correct! It also reminds me of the Rastafari of Jamaica. They have the character of God correct but the name wrong.
What Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses teach about Christ is fundamentally incompatible with what the Bible teaches.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses teach about Christ is fundamentally incompatible with what the Bible teaches.
I know. But they've got some great youtube clips that go right to the heart of the Christian message. Even our Catholic priest uses them at Mass, believe it or not.

Reactions: Shempster
Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I have very little knowledge of my own religion, which is a shame... So I want to know, what should I learn and what should I study?

For example, which Bible verses should I learn? What is the history of Christianity? What are the most important teachings of Christ?

learning things of God and Christ is, first of all, a matter of practicing the faith as right as possible - if you do it, you won't need anything else

1 John 2:27-29 "As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him. Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming. If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him."

Blessings

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the Mormons and JW's teach about origins of God and man and those teachings are as vague and misunderstood as the commonly accepted Christian viewpoints. Who can say they have the absolute truth on the matter? The fact of the matter is that the "truth" is veiled from us ALL. It's not the point.

• Agree
Reactions: noam burde
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have very little knowledge of my own religion, which is a shame... So I want to know, what should I learn and what should I study?

For example, which Bible verses should I learn? What is the history of Christianity? What are the most important teachings of Christ?
Awesome! Do word studies, theme studies, read it cover to cover at least once.
I agree with the internally consistent logic of Calvin's "T.U.L.I.P." (Canon's of Dordt), but I part ways with him on sacramentology and ecclesiology, especially in the area of church discipline (Servitus).

I lean toward hard determinism (predestination) only because I only completely trust God compared to my own "free" will. I don't feel the need for any credit at ALL for my salvation, but I realize that there is some freedom, as there is some responsibility for my behavior. There is enough freedom to satisfy the requirements for relationship. So although he does the real work of salvation, I try to satisfy my sense of obligation by working as much as I can, too.
His death ended the sacrificial law, and he reduced the ten commandments to two.
Don't let priests or teachers get more influence over you than God. Y o u will learn to discern the difference between Churchianity and Christianity.
Love your eagerness. Thank you so much for sharing.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to interrupt but I think we should make it clear that Christianity stands for "love and obedience", not just "obedience". Don't you?
I agree, we must discern who and what to obey, and why.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Christianity is much less about following the teachings of Christ than it is about His work done on our behalf. He came to "seek and save the lost".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know. But they've got some great youtube clips that go right to the heart of the Christian message. Even our Catholic priest uses them at Mass, believe it or not.
Why would you want to associate with false religions, even if they may make a good point or two? What kind of message does that send to less mature believers? If we use their material here, whats not to keep newer Christians from accepting their material there?

No, we must defend the true doctrine of Christ, he is God the Son, the eternal one without beginning or end. Do not yoke yourselves to those who say otherwise. The early Church struggled over this heresy called Arianism, which denied the deity of Christ. But God's word prevailed!

This is the heart of what the OP is seeking. What is essential for christian belief? Christianity centers on the person of Christ, so begin with him.

Upvote 0

the old scribe

old scribe
Supporter
May 13, 2017
Arlington, TX
✟89,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bee_Brain Posted

“What are the important things to learn as a Christian?”

“I have chunks of the Sermon on the Mount memorized.”

old scribe reply

The suggestions posted are all paths to growth.
You posted your question under general theology.
I assume this means you believe growth comes through theology?

My advice is much less academic.

The memory of the stories in the Bible is essential – both Old Testament and Gospels, but the lover of YHWH ought to have such a familiarity with the stories that he is making applications with them in his every day life and communications. This familiarity is used by the Holy Ghost to show you the correct path and what to use in ministering. A very good way to do this is by reading an exhaustive children’s Bible story book a dozen or more times and at least once each succeeding year.

My other suggestion is not a path to growth but a motivation to grow. I suspect more literature has been published on living the Christian life than that of Bible commentaries, Christian theology, and Church History. After all, it is the life which we seek.

Therefore read these.

Foxe’s Book of Martyrs
Edited by William Byron Forbush
Read on line
Fox's Book of Martyrs

George Müller of Bristol
by Arthur Tappan Pierson
Read on line
George Müller of Bristol

In His Steps
By Charles Monroe Sheldon
Read on line:
http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Text.Only/pdfs/In.His.Steps.Text.pdf

A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael
By Elisabeth Elliot (Jim Elliot’s widow)

Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot
As told By Elisabeth Elliot (Jim Elliot’s widow)

The Cost of Discipleship
By Dietrick Bonhoeffer –
Because of conviction it took me five tries and four years to get past page 115.
I just wasn’t as committed to Christ as I ought.

My Utmost for His Highest
By Oswald Chambers
I have kept a leather bound pocket edition in my coat pocket for forty years. If I don’t understand his daily devotion – I just wait until the Lord teaches me what Oswald Chambers already knew at his death at age 43. Obviously, I am a slow learner.

The Imitation of Christ
By Thomas a Kempis
How do these guys know all this?

These books are all blow torches. No lukewarm Christians after reading.

Bee_Brain Posted

“A big part of my life is the reading of educational, non-fiction writings related to physical fitness, philosophy, and religion.”

“But my time is limited, and religion makes up only a third of my study time. Which is why my Christian knowledge is weak.”

old scribe reply

I am clueless. What are educational, non-fiction writings related to physical fitness?

Are there educational, fiction writings related to physical fitness?

If you have even a moderate understanding of the five schools of ancient Greek philosophy, Philo, and a history of philosophy you will be well positioned for the study of Christian theologies. Your studies ought to have included the following because of how philosophy pivoted off of their ideas and how some have been Christianized.

Thomas Aquinas

Blaise Pascal

Desiderius Erasmus

Roger Bacon

Thomas Hobbes

John Locke

Robert Boyle

Edmund Burke

John Stuart Mill

Rene Descartes

Gottfried Leibniz

Immanuel Kant

Soren Kierkegaard

David Hume

Baruch Spinoza

Fredrick Nietzsche

Albert Camus

Carl Jung

Arthur Schopenhauer

John-Paul Sarte

Auguste Comte

George Santayana

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Martin Heidegger

Alfred North Whitehead

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Bertrand Russell

Noam Chomsky

I have not kept up with all the modern philosophers.

You state your Christian knowledge is weak but list religion as an area of reading? World religions or some particular religion?

Reactions: Bee_Brian
Upvote 0

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,397.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This is a loaded question, but if you are lacking knowledge to the point of calling it weak, presumably you need the fundamentals upon which to build. What has been recommended already is great. Additionally, simply read your Bible, starting in the four Gospels, contemplating the teachings and life of Christ with every intention to understand and apply what you've read (James 1:22). It is of utmost importance to know Christ Himself and what He has accomplished for those who put their faith in Him first. Subsequently, move to a careful and paced study of Romans. Romans defines precisely what the Gospel is and what it entails for all who receive it. In it, Paul describes our prior circumstances (where we stand in relation to God prior to our salvation), our justification through faith in Christ and what we have to expect in this life (sanctification) and the next (glorification) on account of the work of Jesus Christ.

After that, I recommend learning some fundamentals about prophecy, through which the Bible discloses in comprehensive detail the course of history that the Christian can expect to find themself or some future generation in. Anyone who wants to claim this is of peripheral importance would be at odds with Christ, who Himself designated the signs of the times and commanded we keep watch so that we are not caught off guard and deceived (Matthew 24). Jesus said that it is precisely because He will come like a thief in the night, at a day and hour we will not expect Him, and because the times will be deceiving and obfuscating that the only way to avoid becoming subject to the deception is to remain vigilant by watching for what the Scriptures prophecy. For this I recommend the book End Times in Chronological Order: A Complete Overview to Bible Prophecy authored by Ron Rhodes.

You should also avail yourself of, minimally, some apologetic arguments to become more familiar with the rational and empirical tenability of your faith, as well as to be more comprehensively effective in evangelism for those who have intellectual obstacles that prevent them from coming to the faith (yes, there are people that genuinely have these; I among many others who use apologetic arguments regularly have had much experience with drawing people to Christ with the Gospel presented gently and respectfully with good apologetic arguments). The book I would recommend for equipping you for this purpose would be Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig, or his alternative book which presents the same arguments in simpler language (for those less acquainted with philosophy) On Guard.

Lastly, I highly recommend continued attendance at a church or at least among a consistent gathering of other believers, so that you can share the gifts and services the Holy Spirit has equipped the multitude with and allow you to benefit from the spiritual wisdom of others more experienced generally or in alternative areas (1 Corinthians 12:4-31, Ephesians 4:2-24, Hebrews 10:25).

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Just read your New Testament. You'll get the basics from doing this.
Keep it simple. Read and enjoy.
Learn to pray. Talk to Jesus as you would a friend.
Let the scriptures do their work in you. For it is of the heart and not your mind that one believes.

(BBE) For the word of God is living and full of power, and is sharper than any two-edged sword, cutting through and making a division even of the soul and the spirit, the bones and the muscles, and quick to
see the thoughts and purposes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

(KJV) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even
to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the
thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Christianity is much less about following the teachings of Christ than it is about His work done on our behalf. He came to "seek and save the lost".[/QUOT

It sounds like we don't have to do much at all then.Easy.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
No, we must defend the true doctrine of Christ,
I'm glad you know what that is. I'm not quite sure yet myself. Those youtube clips are well made though. have a look at them. there is nothing that is way off base in my view. Perhaps theologians could find something. I cant yet.

Upvote 0

Bee_Brian

Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bee_Brain Posted

“What are the important things to learn as a Christian?”

“I have chunks of the Sermon on the Mount memorized.”

old scribe reply

The suggestions posted are all paths to growth.
You posted your question under general theology.
I assume this means you believe growth comes through theology?

My advice is much less academic.

The memory of the stories in the Bible is essential – both Old Testament and Gospels, but the lover of YHWH ought to have such a familiarity with the stories that he is making applications with them in his every day life and communications. This familiarity is used by the Holy Ghost to show you the correct path and what to use in ministering. A very good way to do this is by reading an exhaustive children’s Bible story book a dozen or more times and at least once each succeeding year.

My other suggestion is not a path to growth but a motivation to grow. I suspect more literature has been published on living the Christian life than that of Bible commentaries, Christian theology, and Church History. After all, it is the life which we seek.

Therefore read these.

Foxe’s Book of Martyrs
Edited by William Byron Forbush
Read on line
Fox's Book of Martyrs

George Müller of Bristol
by Arthur Tappan Pierson
Read on line
George Müller of Bristol

In His Steps
By Charles Monroe Sheldon
Read on line:
http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Text.Only/pdfs/In.His.Steps.Text.pdf

A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael
By Elisabeth Elliot (Jim Elliot’s widow)

Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot
As told By Elisabeth Elliot (Jim Elliot’s widow)

The Cost of Discipleship
By Dietrick Bonhoeffer –
Because of conviction it took me five tries and four years to get past page 115.
I just wasn’t as committed to Christ as I ought.

My Utmost for His Highest
By Oswald Chambers
I have kept a leather bound pocket edition in my coat pocket for forty years. If I don’t understand his daily devotion – I just wait until the Lord teaches me what Oswald Chambers already knew at his death at age 43. Obviously, I am a slow learner.

The Imitation of Christ
By Thomas a Kempis
How do these guys know all this?

These books are all blow torches. No lukewarm Christians after reading.

Bee_Brain Posted

“A big part of my life is the reading of educational, non-fiction writings related to physical fitness, philosophy, and religion.”

“But my time is limited, and religion makes up only a third of my study time. Which is why my Christian knowledge is weak.”

old scribe reply

I am clueless. What are educational, non-fiction writings related to physical fitness?

Are there educational, fiction writings related to physical fitness?

If you have even a moderate understanding of the five schools of ancient Greek philosophy, Philo, and a history of philosophy you will be well positioned for the study of Christian theologies. Your studies ought to have included the following because of how philosophy pivoted off of their ideas and how some have been Christianized.

Thomas Aquinas

Blaise Pascal

Desiderius Erasmus

Roger Bacon

Thomas Hobbes

John Locke

Robert Boyle

Edmund Burke

John Stuart Mill

Rene Descartes

Gottfried Leibniz

Immanuel Kant

Soren Kierkegaard

David Hume

Baruch Spinoza

Fredrick Nietzsche

Albert Camus

Carl Jung

Arthur Schopenhauer

John-Paul Sarte

Auguste Comte

George Santayana

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Martin Heidegger

Alfred North Whitehead

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Bertrand Russell

Noam Chomsky

I have not kept up with all the modern philosophers.

You state your Christian knowledge is weak but list religion as an area of reading? World religions or some particular religion?

Thanks a ton!

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

"Love covers a multitude of sins" (1 Peter 4:8). When you've fathomed God's love for us (1 Corinthians 13:4-13) let me know my friend, cause I'm still learning :).

Upvote 0