What are the best things about your marriage?

sallystrothers

Oct 7, 2005
✟15,991.00
Faith
Christian
What are things about your marriage that are simply awesome? And a 2nd question is how has your outlook on life changed in the context of your marriage (as opposed to being unmarried)?

I work with a team of 12 other men, all of which are double my age with kids nearly my age. I am the "chile" and they always talk about their marriages to me in a very negative way. Usually it is how their wifes put on lots of weight, never want sex, take all their money, and boss them around. I only hear how bad it is and how I shouldn't get married.

On the other hand when I think about it, being single all your life you miss out on that intimacy and very well may be lonely the rest of your life.

What are your own personal experiences that have been good with marriage?

Reactions: Saint2be27

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well.....I can't narrow my marriage down to one good thing. My husband is my best friend. We don't fight about money, both sets of our parents have obsessions with it, and we just aren't interested in being rich, we just want to be happy. My husband helps me with our children and our home, and we both work full time, so it makes life so much less stressful. He is a huge sports fan, and I must admit, it has rubbed off on me. When we were dating, I liked sports and would go to all the games so we could be together, but over time, I have become as much obsessed with football as he is, and we have a really great time watching games and making it a family affair. Hmmm....I have put on weight since we have been married, I admit, but he has never made me feel one teeeeeeeny bit less beautiful for it.

My marriage has been a very wonderful experience so far, I certainly pray it continues to be so. The only difficult part of it is him being in the military and being gone a lot, but even that doesn't really make it negative.

Upvote 0

squatpuke

Sep 18, 2005
Arizona
✟9,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me, God's two greatest gifts have gotten better after years of marriage to my wife.

Sex - - no details required....she's a real tigress.

Food - - she's become an AWESOME cook.

We have quite a personality gap, so we still struggle on many of those types of issues...however, we have learned to communicate MUCH better as each year goes by...

Sally - - from the little I know about you, SEEK and FIND my good bro...SEEK AND FIND.

I think (unfortunately) many men engage in wife-bashing as a form of male-bonding...almost like saying..."You think you've got it bad...well, my wife made me...." I would take most men-group wife-ranting's with a huge grain of salt. Wifeys' are cool.

Upvote 0

lgintrnj

Sep 30, 2003
NC
Visit site
✟551.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a 2nd marrige for both of us. We are married 19 years. We try to respect each other and put each others feelings first. Marrige is a partnership, we both try to give more then what we take. We enjoy each others company. Yep, this is much better then living alone. He is 2nd in my life putting our Lord first.

Lori

Upvote 0

BishopGodsey

Bishop in the International Old Catholic Churches
Nov 6, 2005
North Augusta, SC
Visit site
✟8,709.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been married 6 years to a wonderful woman and I can tell you that I would not trade the last 6 years for anything. Oh sure, we have had our difficulties like every marriage. 90% of our problems came for a lack of communication, or not understanding each other. But that has improved greatly over the last 2 years. My wife put on some weight after the birth of our son, but I think she is still drop dead beautiful; it is her that thinks she is fat. (What do you think ladies, 10 pounds after childbirth? Not bad right?)

Don't let other guys discourage you from the idea of marriage. It can be a holy, sacred and wonderful partnership.

Upvote 0

heartnsoul

Don't settle for less than God's best!
Nov 3, 2004
in the palm of God's hand
✟11,936.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What makes our marriage awesome is that we are the best of friends and we make a great team. We are successful in life and in our business because we work together and pool our resources together to make things happen.

Marriage offers a lot of individual personal and spiritual growth for each person. With the challenges and problems that come up in life, those experiences build character and help push us along to stretch and grow out of our comfort zones. Growing pains are not fun but they build intimacy and nudges us in the direction to build a marriage that ultimately will glorify God. As others have said, it's a work in progress.

I've heard it said that two spouses help "polish one another" (smooth out all the rough edges) so both can be better people individually and collectively to shine for Jesus. :angel:

Upvote 0

Cordy

“In case I don't see ya…”
Feb 8, 2004
✟24,497.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If someone is looking forward to marriage so they can have a permanent cook, a personal Barbie doll, and a sex machine, they will be disappointed. They will soon discover that they married a person, not some kind of superhuman stereotype or Stepford wife. Yes, those men’s wives have probably changed over the years, just as the guys themselves have probably gained some extra luggage around the belly and are covering up receding hair lines. But that stuff should not matter.

If that kind of stuff bothers them, I think they missed the boat. Marriage is about joining your life with another person. I am thankful that I get to look forward to growing old with my husband! Through our struggles, difficulties, changes and aging, we have the other to turn for comfort, support and encouragement. I married him for him, not his looks or what he can do for me, as if he was some kind of handyman servant. He is my best friend, and I would never criticize my best friend the way those guys are publicly degrading their wives.

If you are looking for a partner, companionship, a best friend, an accountability partner, a family, a laughing buddy, an opportunity to serve another, a prayer partner, a shoulder to cry on, a support, and person whom you will continue to learn about and with for life, (and someone else who desires those same things) then I think you will find marriage an absolute blessing! The funny thing is that when I focus on all those blessings we have in our marriage, the romance, “attraction”, and all those other things are there as well. But they are there because it is based on something deeper in my husband’s person and in our relationship, not in those things in themselves.

Upvote 0

christalee4

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2005
✟5,083.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
sallystrothers said:
What are things about your marriage that are simply awesome? And a 2nd question is how has your outlook on life changed in the context of your marriage (as opposed to being unmarried)?

I work with a team of 12 other men, all of which are double my age with kids nearly my age. I am the "chile" and they always talk about their marriages to me in a very negative way. Usually it is how their wifes put on lots of weight, never want sex, take all their money, and boss them around. I only hear how bad it is and how I shouldn't get married.

On the other hand when I think about it, being single all your life you miss out on that intimacy and very well may be lonely the rest of your life.

I don't know why those guys are complaining. Are they Christian men? I can't imagine if they are - because if they profess their faith, and also complain about their wives, then they are not truly living their faith. IMO.

Women are not meant to be put on earth to merely please their husbands. Husbands should be working to pleasure their wives, as well as wives to pleasure their partners. It's a two way road. Intimacy should be a state that both partners attain together - it's not just the wives' job, nor just the husbands'.

Upvote 0

saami

Jul 5, 2005
✟9,442.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
sallystrothers said:

The best things of marriage just keep getting better like a fine wine or a good stew that is better with the second serving. Sex is definiately better since my husband took the time to learn how to turn me on - and that take communication. Best friend, practiced lover, co-maker of a home, playmate travel partner, co-parent (wonderful to see him with the kids), coach, cheerleader (we all need affirmation)... keeps getting better. And I keep trying to outgive him - we are competitors in the MLG (most love given) race and everyone is a winner.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

xray01

Jul 5, 2005
✟8,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's all the little things he does for me. Like making me breakfast in bed, cooking meals, leaving me notes for me to find after I've been working nights. I can talk to him about anything. He's my best friend, my lover, and I wouldn't like to be unmarried and without him.
It's the support you get which you'll never get from anyone else. I never need question his support or help. I try to find ways to make his life easier without him knowing. It's a 2-way process, and there are always difficult patches, but you just have to work through them.
It's a great help having a common belief in God, as we are striving to live a closer walk with Him. We are both walking together but seperately as well. We live our own lives for God, but we walk together having 1 purpose. I hope that makes sense. It's 11.30pm and I've been at work for 15hrs now.

Upvote 0
B

Beth1231

Best part of marriage? Wow, that's hard to nail down.

1. Having a best friend who will still encourage you and stay by your side even if leave a pile of clothes in the bedroom three days in a row.
2. The gentle, senstive, thoughtfulness of the relationship. Thinking of each other and what the other person needs or maybe just wants.
3. The FUN! The tickling, dozens of inside jokes, the glances across the room and knowing what the other is thinking and the times you chase each other around the house.
4. Someone to grow old with and grow closer to Jesus with.
How my life has changed:
1. Drastically
2.Forever

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
The best thing for me is that we keep growing together. Even when i am annoyed with him i know that i love him so much and that that love keeps on growing. Being part of a team is great!

My outlook has changed due to the fact that there are two people to think about instead of just myself. And i think it will continue to change as i grow and mature both in life general and in God.

Upvote 0

firestar

Senior Veteran
Sep 3, 2005
Beautiful Canada
✟13,381.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The best things:

-Having my best friend that I can share *everything* with.
-The constant laughter we share
-Having a cheerleader when I'm feeling low- and being his cheerleader too
-Guilt free sex whenever we feel like it
-Snuggling up with him at bed time
-Goofing around and having tons of fun together even if we're doing mundane things

Upvote 0

Mrs. Enigma

Transformers was awesome!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
somewhere
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I do not boss my husband around, I give him as much sex as he wants even if I am super tired or sick,, I try to cook him delicious dinners, I make special extra birthdays, pictures telling how great he is, I am happy when he gets home at night, I a prefer being with him over other people.
I watch him play video games and really enjoy that. I do not mind being his Barbie doll if that is what you wanna call it. I detest the idea of being a crabby, naggy, celibate, old lady.
I think it is fine to expect your wife to not blow your money on junk like lipstick and new clothes. I buy all my clothes at thrift shops to save my hubby money. The only money I spend freely is the money that he WANTS to give me as spending money for work I have done in his lawn care business. I told him that he did not need to pay me, but he wanted me to get some spending money, and he even has say over my spending money too, but usually lets me spend it how I want.
My hubby would not agree with the men you work with. My hubby likes being married to me. I know a man who says stuff like you are talking about, but his wife is crabby. She will tell him to take his shoes off before he walks on her floor like she is huis mom or something.

Do be careful who you marry, though, cuz a lot of women are all into what rights and authorities they think they are entitled to. They will get all depressed ang discontent if they have to be loving and happy while honoring and obeying you. I would hope that you do not marry a sassy cocky girl or an argumentative one. Look at how she talks about her dad. Does she happily obey him? Does she always think she is smarter than you, or that she can interpret the Bible better?
We do not ever argue. Yes, I am human, so sometimes I get sick, or sad, or frustrated. Sometimes I gain weight or get wrinkles or grey hairs, but I do try to maintain my weight for hubby.
Do not marry a woman who thinks that serving you is beneath her, or that she has veto rights on everything, and you should be fine.

Upvote 0