Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TOOELE, Utah (OSV News) — In the 55 years since Rosita and Sabino Arreola started their journey together as a married couple, they have seen the truth of the Catholic teaching that the Sacrament of Marriage is “a covenant, which is more than a contract.”

“Covenant always expresses a relationship between persons. The marriage covenant refers to the relationship between the husband and wife, a permanent union of persons capable of knowing and loving each other and God,” as the United States Catholic Catechism for Adults states.

For the Arreolas, faith has been an important part of their marriage, which has had many challenges as well as many joys.

The couple married on May 15, 1969, in Guapango, a very small town in Guanajuato, Mexico.

“Our wedding was a very humble one,” Rosita recalled in an interview with the Intermountain Catholic, Salt Lake City’s diocesan newspaper. “My mother made me my dress, and we didn’t have a big banquet or party, but we were very happy because we were getting God’s blessing in and for our marriage.”

Being a humble family, Sabino worked in the fields and Rosita was in charge of their home. The financial situation was very harsh, so when the opportunity to make a better living for his family came knocking on their door, Sabino took it. In the ’80s, he migrated to the United States, leaving Rosita and their six children behind.

Continued below.