Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been having trouble lately understanding what demons are, and for me that is strange, yet I have been having some spiritual growing pains lately so this may be a part of that. But I almost have doubts demons exist sometimes because it seems like the only thing that provides evidence for them is people acting strange and demonic or people in an occult doing what they believe is the will of a demon.

The only outward workings of these so called demonic forces is either bizarre and absurd behavior or purely evil deeds by humans.

It is strange for me to be having these doubts and feelings because I myself have experienced a form of deliverance and sensed a supernatural existence of evil. I know it is clear in the bible that demons are real.

Take genesis for example. It only uses the name "the serpent"

And then all of a sudden in the OT other gods and idols were being worshiped which I also believe are demons.

And then all of a sudden when Jesus shows up evil spirits are being cast out of people for the first time in the bible.

But who has actually seen one? Some people believe Satan is living in hell but the bible says he walks to and fro about the earth. There are definitely angelic sightings in the bible as if an angel was manifested or standing in front of a person as if they were a person in the bible, but never a demon did this with people.

How are we to know how to combat the forces of darkness if we do not even know what we are up against? How do we do battle with them and keep an impenetrable fortress around us against them? Can they hear what we think? How much do they know about us? If Satan has been here since the beginning and all his forces with him or at least many of them, I would assume some have been watching me or have attempted to throughout my life.

But I still wonder if they exist. If it is just my own evil nature in me causing my own evil thoughts and desires? Is it invoked by a demon or does it spring up simply because it's in my heart?

Reactions: Tayla

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been having trouble lately understanding what demons are, and for me that is strange, yet I have been having some spiritual growing pains lately so this may be a part of that. But I almost have doubts demons exist sometimes because it seems like the only thing that provides evidence for them is people acting strange and demonic or people in an occult doing what they believe is the will of a demon.
The only proof of their existence that should ever be needed is in the Gospels. Our Lord dealt personally with them on many occasions.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
  • Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we asked a second temple Jew what a demon was they would say they are the deceased spirits of what occurred in Genesis 6. I know that is not a popular answer but that is what the term refered to back then. Even the Greek word for unclean, as in unclean spirits, refers to a mixture.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How are we to know how to combat the forces of darkness if we do not even know what we are up against?
Really? You do not have to be a rocket scientist to figure this out. If they say you are lazy, low down and no good, than that is the work of Satan and his demons to tear us down. If they say you are loving, caring, kind & gentle person than that is the work of God and the angels to build us up and strengthen us.

Satan and his angles were in Heaven and they were assigned to worship God. Mostly with music. Then one day satan decided he wanted his angels to worship him. As a result he was thrown out of Heaven down to the earth along with the angels that followed him in his rebellion. They became the demons. Soon they will be locked in the bottomless pit along with satan. Now they are doing a work to try to get mankind to follow in their rebellion. I believe one third of humans will be saved and we will take over the job of the angels in Heaven to praise, honor and worship God.

Rev 20 "1 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the Abyss, holding in his hand a great chain. 2 He seized the dragon, the ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3 And he threw him into the Abyss, shut it, and sealed it over him, so that he could not deceive the nations until the thousand years were complete. "

The Bible says in the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth. The Heavens were first because Job 38 tells us the Angels rejoiced when God created the Earth: "On what were its foundations laid, or who set its core in place— 7 while the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" Still Jesus teaches us to pray: "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven". So there is a connection or a duel nature shared between Heaven and Earth.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our Lord dealt personally with them on many occasions.
Matthew 8:28 ""What do you want with us, Son of God?" they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?"

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are they really alive though? It seems like they just are nothing and then when a human does something evil there are no evil spirits only the evil that sprang forth in real life from the person's heart.

When I was into new age teachings I used to say the heart has a mind of its own. Would you consider this statement true? It's almost like all of morality indwells the human heart good and evil, is this the door for demonic possession or oppression? Is this the door they enter this world or I guess metaphorically enter this world?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I happen to think that demon are evil thoughts started in the mind of man. If someone does you wrong, you first create a thought of wrong doing....then it multiplies as you start to examine why....one reason becomes many....now you dislike the person....as you think more, your dislike grows to hate....this demon thinks up more and more reasons why you should hate the person as it becomes a live, real entity. You can go for a while without seeing the person and you forget.....the demon goes into hiding.....when you see them again, the demon arises and is stronger than before......reminding you of all the reasons you hate and should hate this person.

Sometimes the demon can tell us to get back as the person...harm them in someway.....sometimes we listen.

This demon is cast out only through forgiveness.. This is only one example of a real experience with a demon....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I happen to think that demon are evil thoughts started in the mind of man. If someone does you wrong, you first create a thought of wrong doing....then it multiplies as you start to examine why....one reason becomes many....now you dislike the person....as you think more, your dislike grows to hate....this demon thinks up more and more reasons why you should hate the person as it becomes a live, real entity. You can go for a while without seeing the person and you forget.....the demon goes into hiding.....when you see them again, the demon arises and is strong than before......reminding you of all the reason you hate and should hate this person.

Sometimes the demon can tell us to get back as the person...harm them in someway.....sometimes we listen.

This demon is cast out only through forgiveness.. This is only one example of a real experience with a demon....

What about the serpent in the garden? Was that a thought or a metaphor to something else? Or was it really an external being who tempted eve out of its own divisiveness and helped eve to have an impure thought and in turn to desire and in turn to action into consequence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

The only outward workings of these so called demonic forces is either bizarre and absurd behavior or purely evil deeds by humans.

It is strange for me to be having these doubts and feelings because I myself have experienced a form of deliverance and sensed a supernatural existence of evil. I know it is clear in the bible that demons are real.

And then all of a sudden in the OT other gods and idols were being worshiped which I also believe are demons.

And then all of a sudden when Jesus shows up evil spirits are being cast out of people for the first time in the bible.

But who has actually seen one? Some people believe Satan is living in hell but the bible says he walks to and fro about the earth. There are definitely angelic sightings in the bible as if an angel was manifested or standing in front of a person as if they were a person in the bible, but never a demon did this with people.

How are we to know how to combat the forces of darkness if we do not even know what we are up against? How do we do battle with them and keep an impenetrable fortress around us against them? Can they hear what we think? How much do they know about us? If Satan has been here since the beginning and all his forces with him or at least many of them, I would assume some have been watching me or have attempted to throughout my life.

But I still wonder if they exist. If it is just my own evil nature in me causing my own evil thoughts and desires? Is it invoked by a demon or does it spring up simply because it's in my heart?

Enoch 15:8 addresses this. (Regardless of if one believes it's scripture, it's still addressed.)

Now the giants, who lave been born of spirit and of flesh, shall be called upon earth evil spirits, and on earth shall be their habitation. Evil spirits shall proceed from their flesh, because they were created from above; from the holy Watchers was their beginning and primary foundation. Evil spirits shall they be upon earth, and the spirits of the wicked shall they be called. The habitation of the spirits of heaven shall be in heaven; but upon earth shall be the habitation of terrestrial spirits, who are born on earth.
I've seen two with my own eyes in my lifetime to date (and one angel).

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about the serpent in the garden? Was that a thought or a metaphor to something else? Or was it really an external being who tempted eve out of its own divisiveness and helped eve to have an impure thought and in turn to desire and in turn to action into consequence?
Nothing wrong with believing in it's reality.......yet if you can see passed this, in it lies the way back to Eden.....a way to become who we were....

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nothing wrong with believing in it's reality.......yet if you can see passed this, in it lies the way back to Eden.....a way to become who we were....

I don't understand. I thought Jesus was the way. What do you mean?

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are right, He is the only way. "For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. "

Thank you for your response. However my question in post #13 still remains.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oldrunner

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2018
usa
✟59,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats

Yep, they are real. Read Eph. 6, and this will tell you how to fight against them. Demons are fallen angels (Rev. 12:4, Jude, 2nd Pet. 2:4) Satan is the head of the fallen Angels, and use to be the chief angel, it seems. (Ezek. 28:11-17) They are spiritual beings that operate in the spirit realm.

He indwelt the snake in the garden-leaving his home in heaven, that is why the snake was cursed. It use to stand upright or on all fours. He is still loose and will be judged last. (Rev 20) They need a "host", body to operate in this world. (Luke 8-swine or a man) The "deep', or abyss, is the bottomless pit in Rev. 9, where the real nasty demons are kept, awaiting release during the Day of The Lord judgement of the Earth.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: Valetic
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response. However my question in post #13 still remains.
The story, shows us how we fell from grace, and how we return. The latter is harder to see if we say "I yeah, that happened" and then move on. Genesis is believed to be written by Moses. Jesus said Moses wrote about Him....Therefore I am not saying that Jesus isnt the way, on the contrary, He is.....and He is a rewarder to them that diligently seek Him.

Upvote 0

Valetic

Addicted to CF
Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Georgia, USA
✟58,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status