Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m just saying tattoos are one thing if done safely.
(I'm answering this part of your -helpful - post on the other thread, here, because it's particularly relevant here.

In North America, most parlors are well regulated and inspected. Often ppl's tattoos don't cause any obvious or noticeable problems.

Upvote 0

mm17162646

Aug 28, 2018
United states
✟17,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To add more to the point about exegesis, it is pretty clear what the context of St. Paul's statement concerning our bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit is about; as it is part of his exhortation against being involved with cultic prostitution and sexual abuse of the body. It has absolutely nothing to do with things such as what we eat, what we wear, or if we get a tattoo or not. Such is completely out of sync with what the Apostle is talking about, as such it is pure eisegesis.

-CryptoLutheran

Yes the main context is that of sexual immorality as it is a sin against the body. My argument is that this can still be used for tattooing, a sin against the body as such the same rules apply as they do with sexual immorality which is a sin against the body.

But again Christ uses this same metaphor.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well there are always the laser clinics which are booming right now. It is not impossible to have the graffiti removed. I have seen some beautiful tattoos though. Usually sleeves.
There is some amazing artwork; you are right.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Tell me why our God, Jesus Christ used this methphor?

He didn't. Though He does speak of His body as the Temple; which by extension we, as the Church, are God's Temple.

Tell me why Paul uses it in the same way?

See my above post.

When you realize the meaning and how they use this, you will realize that I use it in the same sentiment.

Well, no. Not even a little bit.

Solomon is not our example, Christ is our example.

That doesn't even come close to addressing anything that I said.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yes the main context is that of sexual immorality as it is a sin against the body. My argument is that this can still be used for tattooing, a sin against the body as such the same rules apply as they do with sexual immorality which is a sin against the body.

You've yet to establish that tattoos are a "sin against the body". And, again, you don't get to just make something up that isn't in the text. The text says what it says, and any application of the text must be done in the proper context through proper exegesis.

But again Christ uses this same metaphor.

Where?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You mean, if a young lady receives a John 3.16 in order to witness to her friends, you would be justified in saying to her ...or thinking: "You harlot!" ? :scratch:

(I don't quite understand the point you are making...)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well there are always the laser clinics which are booming right now.
The moral must really be: Think before you ink!

The fact that the laser clinics are booming, like you say, makes one conclude that many ppl don't think enough before they ink.

Upvote 0

mm17162646

Aug 28, 2018
United states
✟17,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You've yet to establish that tattoos are a "sin against the body". And, again, you don't get to just make something up that isn't in the text. The text says what it says, and any application of the text must be done in the proper context through proper exegesis.

Where?

-CryptoLutheran

John 2:19

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi, @ViaCrucis. A while ago you said:

So do you ever have an opportunity to use them in order to talk to ppl about the Lord?

When they've been seen--they're usually covered as I'm not really the sort to walk around shirtless--people inevitably ask me about them. And so I explain what they mean to me. I'm more than happy to talk about my faith to anyone who is interested in listening. But I didn't get them as conversation starters, I got them because they were meaningful to me. Having a Trinitarian symbol on my skin is a permanent confession of my faith in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. It's my way of having the Creed on my body--no matter where I am in life, no matter my struggles, no matter my doubts, no matter what, the faith which I have received, the faith which I confess is part of me, both inside and out.

-CryptoLutheran

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
John 2:19

Jesus isn't being metaphorical, He's talking about His own body. His body--and thus His Body--is the Temple of God. Christ and His Church are God's Temple. The Epistle to the Hebrews and St. John's Apocalypse contain some really good stuff on this, as well, but this is some pretty solid theology that is touched upon throughout the New Testament.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The moral must really be: Think before you ink!

The fact that the laser clinics are booming, like you say, makes one conclude that many ppl don't think enough before they ink.
Well you have to admit it was a huge trend/fad for awhile. I have met so many people with tattoo regret now. It’s not as big as it used to be by any stretch of the imagination. The bad thing is, laser clinics are expensive and getting the tattoos removed is a long, painful process in several sessions. :eek: There is even makeup out there to cover them. Fading creams, etc. it does not sound fun.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well you have to admit it was a huge trend/fad for awhile. I have met so many people with tattoo regret now. It’s not as big as it used to be by any stretch of the imagination. The bad thing is, laser clinics are expensive and getting the tattoos removed is a long, painful process in several sessions. :eek: There is even makeup out there to cover them. Fading creams, etc. it does not sound fun.
Thanks for your response. I hadn't actually noticed it subsiding as a trend (maybe it has, but I hadn't noticed).

Upvote 0

mm17162646

Aug 28, 2018
United states
✟17,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You mean, if a young lady receives a John 3.16 in order to witness to her friends, you would be justified in saying to her ...or thinking: "You harlot!" ? :scratch:

(I don't quite understand the point you are making...)

Nope not at all. Where in the Bible would we be justified with such judgement? I am not her judge, nor will I ever claim.

However, one can easily make a distinction between judgement and correction. I don’t believe tattooing to be right with God and so if asked I will present my reasoning and my answer. However I am not the judge so I cannot offer any judgement. (As much as it seems you would like to pretend I claim to be one)

Sexual sin is sin against the body, tattooing is directly writing on the body.

The argument is that tattooing is a sin against the body, so just as sexual sin is a sin against the body, the nature is the same. It is against the body itself.

It seems very likely our temple should be treated the same in regards to sexual immorality and tattooing.

• Optimistic
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,678,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for your response. I hadn't actually noticed it subsiding as a trend (maybe it has, but I hadn't noticed).
It was all the rage for a few years. Now the tattoo mags are going out of business, etc. it’s just not as popular as it once was. I have no issues with someone getting a tattoo as long as it is healthily done, has artistic value, and well thought out. But it was such a trend for awhile, I think a lot of them were done thoughtlessly and there are many out there walking around with a ton of regret.

Upvote 0

mm17162646

Aug 28, 2018
United states
✟17,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay so you mean that in some circumstance you might still be prepared to marry a Godly young woman who happened to have a Scripture tattoo?

Of course, who am I to judge the position of which a person comes to God.

I believe what you are writing and questioning now is to reveal my character, because my answer to if I would marry a person with a tattoo has nothing to do with the essence of “are tattoos acceptable or are tattoos sinful”.

I would advice you against attempts of character assassination, especially in a biblical forum. Maybe best to leave these attempts for the political realm.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When they've been seen--they're usually covered as I'm not really the sort to walk around shirtless--people inevitably ask me about them. And so I explain what they mean to me. I'm more than happy to talk about my faith to anyone who is interested in listening. But I didn't get them as conversation starters, I got them because they were meaningful to me. Having a Trinitarian symbol on my skin is a permanent confession of my faith in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. It's my way of having the Creed on my body--no matter where I am in life, no matter my struggles, no matter my doubts, no matter what, the faith which I have received, the faith which I confess is part of me, both inside and out.

-CryptoLutheran
Thanks for your explanation; and in fact for those who do get inked up with faith based designs it's possible that they are indeed driven by verses such as:

“But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:” (1 Peter 3.15)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course, who am I to judge the position of which a person comes to God.

I believe what you are writing and questioning now is to reveal my character, because my answer to if I would marry a person with a tattoo has nothing to do with the essence of “are tattoos acceptable or are tattoos sinful”.

I would advice you against attempts of character assassination, especially in a biblical forum. Maybe best to leave these attempts for the political realm.

Blessings.
Sorry; I laughed when I saw this baffling comment, because the assassination of your character was the last thing on my mind. :) :) :)

Upvote 0

mm17162646

Aug 28, 2018
United states
✟17,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus isn't being metaphorical, He's talking about His own body. His body--and thus His Body--is the Temple of God. Christ and His Church are God's Temple. The Epistle to the Hebrews and St. John's Apocalypse contain some really good stuff on this, as well, but this is some pretty solid theology that is touched upon throughout the New Testament.

-CryptoLutheran

Yes that is exactly what I have been explaining.

And you are correct, I possibly should have used “in reference to” instead of metaphorically.

Upvote 0