Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You continue to make the same errors. Gravity is "Just a theory". It is also a fact. Evolution is "just a theory"" It is also a fact. You clearly have no understanding of what a theory is in the science. In the sciences nothing outranks a theory.

Interesting, it was a Physics Professor from Utah University that stated that theory can never be proven. I would listen to him I think.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I see what the problem is here - like many other non scientific persons, they are confused by the use of the word "theory". In common parlance, everyday useage, theory does mean an idea or guess as to how something works or came about. It's different in science - a theory in science explains the facts. Take gravity for example, as has already been mentioned. If you jump off a cliff or tall building you will fall to the ground - a fact. Now the Theory of Gravity seeks to explain why that happens - why when you jump off a cliff you fall to the ground.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, you said it correct. Theory seeks to explain.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You continue to make the same errors. Gravity is "Just a theory". It is also a fact. Evolution is "just a theory"" It is also a fact. You clearly have no understanding of what a theory is in the science. In the sciences nothing outranks a theory.

What is strange to me is that you state the theory of gravity as fact. I have came up with an alternate theory for gravitation that explains gravity with curvatures of space-time instead of mass. So then gravitational theory is still just an idea that cannot be proven, just as the physics professor explained. I can calculate the gravitational constant and explain gravity with precision using an entirely different approach. So is the theory fact? No of course not.

For more information see my published works: Significant Advancements In My Theory... | Christian Forums

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, but do you see why a hteory in science is far more important than simple facts?

A theory is never more important than the measured data. One can easily come up with alternate theories. That is what Albert Einstein did in fact when he defied current theory with relativity.

Upvote 0

tyke

Aug 15, 2015
✟144,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
One can easily come up with alternate theories.

Sure you can, BUT you must have evidence to back up your explanation of the facts. If you don't or can't provide any evidence then your theory is not a scientific theory - merely an idea or at best a hypothesis.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Interesting, it was a Physics Professor from Utah University that stated that theory can never be proven. I would listen to him I think.
Too bad that you did not understand what he meant by that.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A theory is never more important than the measured data. One can easily come up with alternate theories. That is what Albert Einstein did in fact when he defied current theory with relativity.
A theory explains the data. The explanation is the important part.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What is strange to me is that you state the theory of gravity as fact. I have came up with an alternate theory for gravitation that explains gravity with curvatures of space-time instead of mass. So then gravitational theory is still just an idea that cannot be proven, just as the physics professor explained. I can calculate the gravitational constant and explain gravity with precision using an entirely different approach. So is the theory fact? No of course not.

For more information see my published works: Significant Advancements In My Theory... | Christian Forums
Sorry, not downloading a PDF. What well respected professional journal did you publish it in?

Upvote 0

tyke

Aug 15, 2015
✟144,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
That is what Albert Einstein did in fact when he defied current theory with relativity.

And that is exactly what your physics professor meant when he said that a theory in science is never proven. Sometimes there are better explanations for the facts that come along and our knowledge and understanding are increased.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A theory explains the data. The explanation is the important part.

We clearly disagree on that. By the way Newtons laws of gravitation were in fact replaced by Einsteins ideas. They believe now that curvatures of space-time cause gravitation not mass but the energy instead.

So it would clearly be safe to say that the theory of gravity is not fact, it is dismissed.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

tyke

Aug 15, 2015
✟144,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
So it would clearly be safe to say that the theory of gravity is not fact, it is dismissed.

The Theory of Gravity seeks to explain the facts as best as we are able to understand them at present. Your statement is nonsensical in scientific terms. Explanations aren't facts.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For the rest of us (including me) here's a plain English explanation:
Science News: Peruvian fossils yield a four-legged otter like whale with hooves
OB
From the link:

Big, possibly webbed feet and long toes would have allowed P. pacificus to dog-paddle or swim freestyle. And like modern otters and beavers, this whale’s vertebrae suggest that its tail also functioned as a paddle. With tiny hooves and strong legs and hips, the animal could walk on land. But “it was definitely a better swimmer than walker,” Lambert says.

I vote this thing is some kind of marine iguana, created in Genesis 1.

Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
We clearly disagree on that. By the way Newtons laws of gravitation were in fact replaced by Einsteins ideas. They believe now that curvatures of space-time cause gravitation not mass but the energy instead.

And you are clearly wrong. You do not know what a theory is. And yes. I have known for over forty years that Einstein's theory replaced Newton's law. It is an example that theories outrank laws. Your own example demonstrates your error.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
From the link:

I vote this thing is some kind of marine iguana, created in Genesis 1.

Fortunately, your vote don't count (unless you can produce your PhD in Paleontology) :)
OB

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Steven Anderson, the guy who looks like he is about to burst a blood vessel every time he rants about the evil gays who deserve death.

I question your moral character if you look up to people like him.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

'My Brain's Offline But My Heart Isn't'

I mean I don't want to be THAT guy but I think I can say that we can savely ignore the "published works" from people who come up with wild fantasies without using their brain.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting view point. I follow the bible over science. I believe that is wise.

Cool - so, following the tall tales, many unoriginal, of ancient middle eastern numerologists is "wise."

And for what it's worth evolution is just a theory. Nothing more :)

And for what it is worth, you just admitted how ignorant you are of science, nothing more.

Upvote 0