Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting logic. Let's see... no, people don't jump off of cliffs because as children they fell, and they can clearly witness even as a child that things accelerate as they fall.
..What I believe in is Jesus is the Christ and the resurrection of man. And I look forward to being in heaven with him some day :)

No better a juxtaposition of contradictory claims could be asked for.

But indeed, interesting logic.

Er, I mean, special pleading.

Or is it double standards? Hard to tell with these folks.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From the link:

I vote this thing is some kind of marine iguana, created in Genesis 1.
AV , You do understand that someone very familiar with vertebrate anatomy can tell the difference between a reptile and a mammal. Even an amateur like me can tell that this is not a reptile - that single jawbone is a mammal trait. A professional can get a scapula and tell you whether or not the animal walked on 2 legs or 4

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Don’t know whether you can read this or not but the acceptance of humans evolving over time among AAAS members is about 99%

its also true for about 100% of creationists if by "evolved" we mean any kind of variation. so its depend on the definition. by the way the majority of scientists also believe in higher power.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
its also true for about 100% of creationists if by "evolved" we mean any kind of variation. so its depend on the definition. by the way the majority of scientists also believe in higher power.
genetic variation within a species means Microevolution . Variation within a genus to the point where a new species forms is macroevolution. Creationists playing pigeon chess by ignoring data ( knocking over the pieces) and changing terminology ( pooping on the board) doesn’t make them win . It just makes them even more ignorant than they already are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but it also mean that most scientists may not believe in common descent.
beliefs are for religions . Science works on verifiable evidence

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
but it also mean that most scientists may not believe in common descent.

Most scientists accept common descent as a valid conclusion based on the available evidence.

Most of the people who tend to dispute common descent are non-scientists who do so because of religious beliefs.

• Informative
Reactions: bhillyard
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
isnt common descent a belief? if not please prove me that we are related to a banana.
No, it is an obvious conclusion derived from the evidence. And I doubt if you are ready to understand how we are related to a banana.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
any reference?

Pew Research Center has done a poll in the past on views of scientists versus the general public: Section 5: Evolution, Climate Change and Other Issues

Nearly all scientists (97%) say humans and other living things have evolved over time – 87% say evolution is due to natural processes, such as natural selection. The dominant position among scientists – that living things have evolved due to natural processes – is shared by only about third (32%) of the public.

Project Steve is another prime example of the support for evolution among scientists: Project Steve

At last count, over 1400 "Steves" had signed their support for this statement:

Evolution is a vital, well-supported, unifying principle of the biological sciences, and the scientific evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the idea that all living things share a common ancestry. Although there are legitimate debates about the patterns and processes of evolution, there is no serious scientific doubt that evolution occurred or that natural selection is a major mechanism in its occurrence. It is scientifically inappropriate and pedagogically irresponsible for creationist pseudoscience, including but not limited to "intelligent design," to be introduced into the science curricula of our nation's public schools.

• Winner
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

And here I thought Anderson was just a blowhard idolator*. The more you know.

*No, really. The one video of his I remember watching back in the day was him holding a copy of the King James Bible and saying "Behold your God", explicitly, directly, and repeatedly saying the Bible is God.

I guess he's trying really hard to win the Awful Olympics.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
isnt common descent a belief? if not please prove me that we are related to a banana.
E0CD883C-5B86-42C5-A38A-A5A3780EC1D4.png

I don’t know whether you can read it or not , but bananas are angiosperms over there on the left and humans belong in placentalia which is around the middle. All of the Eucarya are cousins. This is a very very very very brief summary of 300 years of the life sciences

Upvote 0