Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, even though on YouTube there are snippets and some recordings of Western Rite Orthodox Liturgies or Masses, I don't think there ever has been one that has been done to the same caliber and quality as Saint Patrick's, which has just been uploaded a few days ago.

Thus, I felt like sharing. Not only to show it off for the case of comparison between the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom, but also to show it off to discuss it, and to bring to light some of the controversial practices for positive, productive discussion (e.g., Pipe Organs, statues, the way the Priest blesses people, Rosaries, even Corpus Christi).

So, anyways, here you go.

Last edited:

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@gurneyhalleck1

As a saint from your neck of the woods said:

Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must be Eastern. The west was fully Orthodox for a thousand years, and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies. (St John of Shenghai)

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I second Laura..

I’ve become too much of the Divine Liturgy to go to anything else, but that Western liturgy was very lovely. I’d definitely go to it if I had access.

That’s the way I feel also. I’m way too attached to the Divine Liturgy and my parish, but coming from a traditional Anglican background, I think the western rite is lovely, too.

I’ve seen both of those videos and really liked them. A friend at my parish has spent time at that monastery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m the stick-in-the-mud here, I guess.
I think the positive things said (even by St John) about WR were true - 1,000 years ago. I see the identification and moving towards Western forms now to be moving towards forms that have been falling away from Orthodoxy for at least a millennium, and what I saw of this completely open service, which looked more like a Roman Catholic Mass than a DL, even though the language was Orthodox, confirmed that. I think there is all the difference in the world between doing something in a world that is largely Orthodox and in a world that has fallen really far from it. We now live in world that is pushing for ecumenism and a denial of difference in Christian traditions. Theoretically, there is nothing wrong with WR, but in practice, I think there is something to be wary of.

Nothing I’ve seen here has convinced me otherwise.

• Agree
Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think the positive things said (even by St John) about WR were true - 1,000 years ago. I see the identification and moving towards Western forms now to be moving towards forms that have been falling away from Orthodoxy for at least a millennium, and what I saw of this completely open service, which looked more like a Roman Catholic Mass than a DL, even though the language was Orthodox, confirmed that. I think there is all the difference in the world between doing something in a world that is largely Orthodox and in a world that has fallen really far from it. We now live in world that is pushing for ecumenism and a denial of difference in Christian traditions. Theoretically, there is nothing wrong with WR, but in practice, I think there is something to be wary of.

If you want my opinion, I'm kind of in the middle.

On the one hand, I think that the traditional Western forms are beautiful and rooted in Apostolic Tradition. Even if heresy has largely affected them, there still some intrinsic spiritual beauty within them (given that they are practiced "Orthodox" enough), and considering that over time the Eastern Orthodox Church hasn't been the absolute best in preserving local Orthodox Traditions in comparison to overt Greek dominance, I can see the appeal of wanting to preserve these pretty Western forms in a world that largely hates them (Pope Francis clearly wants to get rid of it, and the leadership of the Episcopal and Anglican Churches do too).

On the other hand, I really don't buy the whole "we need to restore our Western heritage" or the idea of re-creating a restored Western Rite to be the main Rite for Western Civilization. I think that the best thing we can do is set a root of Eastern Orthodoxy in specific cultures, and then let their own culture organically develop it such that it becomes a unique Orthodox Tradition (making sure that the secular culture doesn't influence it too negatively - as we no longer convert nations).

I also think that there is something really, really risky in Orthodoxizing something heretical. We can already see this coming to light with the Antiochian WR allowing Corpus Christi. I also think that the Western Rite can serve as an idol for many, where it becomes Spiritually damaging and creates extreme emotional attachment to a Liturgy rather than Spiritual Progress. Maybe some Catholics or Anglicans may be holding onto what they once were rather than becoming fully Orthodox.

P.S.
You are wary of "open services," but Iconostases were something that developed after the Great Schism. In the 1st millenium of Western Christianity, Iconostases were not present - the closes thing to it was the Rood Screen, but even then the Rood Screen doesn't separate the Priest from the people, it's further back and separates the choir and the priest from the people.

Last edited:
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

except the Western Rite is the attempt for the pre-Schism Liturgy. it's not simply Rome's Mass with Orthodox language

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
except the Western Rite is the attempt for the pre-Schism Liturgy. it's not simply Rome's Mass with Orthodox language
Yes, that is granted.
I’m just saying that it was a great thing a thousand years ago, but now is going to contribute to ecumenism.
No iconostasis? At all? As if there were no reason for it, or the curtain? (One tiny obvious concern among many.) Granted that other WR parishes may have them. But the one in the video was helpd up,as representative, and I am speaking to that. Yes, it looked very Roman, as Rome does it in our time, and they are falling away, too.

I think that, like “deaconnesses”, trying to reintroduce ancient practices that. Were. Discontinued. For reasons. Into a modern world that is losing all sense of what Christian faith and teaching even are, is a huge error, that will multiply those evils. That’s my opinion. I don’t state it as certain fact, but it is sure what it looks like to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I usually agree with Rus, but in this case I just see nothing to fear in the WR. It shows a paranoia on our part that Orthodoxy isn’t strong enough to have more than one liturgical tradition within our world. We’re not Orthodox because we have the Divine Liturgy. Orthodoxy is our theology, spiritual faith and beliefs. We see our beliefs played out in the liturgy. As long as the liturgy has no post-schism heretical ideas (like indulgence prayers or references to purgatory or Stabat Mater style talk), no lady priests, filioque in the creed, and everything is done kosher within an Orthodox context, I see no need to fear WRL. How is the form of the liturgy something we should fear? If there is incense, leavened bread, iconography, dignified vestments, proper piety and strength of language, then it is a viable option. Do we believe that the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom and Basil the Great and St. James are the ONLY God-given liturgies we can have?

As long as the Ecumenical Patriarch has ZERO involvement in the WR liturgy, I’m ok with it....and keep in mind I’m a fan of the DL....

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Liberalism and humanistic innovations are a threat to all Orthodoxy, not just in the formation of new liturgies for the West. I see no reason to stop the WR. If more Westerners could feel at home in that rite of worship and exit Catholicism or Anglicanism, etc. I say good on them!

LGBTQRLMNOP$&@ is a movement trying to ruin all churches. Same with feminism. Social justice warriors, evolutionists, leftists, liberation theologians, they’re everywhere...

Yes, that is granted.
I’m just saying that it was a great thing a thousand years ago, but now is going to contribute to ecumenism.
No iconostasis? At all? As if there were no reason for it, or the curtain? (One tiny obvious concern among many.) Granted that other WR parishes may have them. But the one in the video was helpd up,as representative, and I am speaking to that. Yes, it looked very Roman, as Rome does it in our time, and they are falling away, too.

I think that, like “deaconnesses”, trying to reintroduce ancient practices that. Were. Discontinued. For reasons. Into a modern world that is losing all sense of what Christian faith and teaching even are, is a huge error, that will multiply those evils. That’s my opinion. I don’t state it as certain fact, but it is sure what it looks like to me.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So, even though on YouTube there are snippets and some recordings of Western Rite Orthodox Liturgies or Masses, I don't think there ever has been one that has been done to the same caliber and quality as Saint Patrick's, which has just been uploaded a few days ago.

Thus, I felt like sharing. Not only to show it off for the case of comparison between the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom, but also to show it off to discuss it, and to bring to light some of the controversial practices for positive, productive discussion (e.g., Pipe Organs, statues, the way the Priest blesses people, Rosaries, even Corpus Christi).

So, anyways, here you go.

It looked like I was watching a Roman Mass. I didn't watch the whole thing, but it looked like they were using Roman wafers. I am not sure why there is a need for this.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is granted.

ecumenism isn't the intent. and for it to be ecumenism it would have to be blurring our theological differences with Rome, and the Western Rite doesn't.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is granted.

But the Roman pre-schism Liturgy wasn't discontinued, exactly. It just ended up on the wrong side of the schism. St. Gregory the Great used the form of it current in his day...and we venerate him still.

As to ancient practices, if they were discontinued "for reasons," it's ok for us to have a clear idea of what those reasons were and whether they were good reasons and still apply. If not, then we risk incoherence - Arianism and Iconoclasm, after all, happened for reasons...

Upvote 0