USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The BEST Orthodox Divine Liturgy I ever attended was at an OCA parish in Lincoln NE.

NO PEWS!!!!

NO KNEELING!!!

LOTS OF INCENSE!!!

If my wife ever moves us out there, I am joining. No questions asked.
That's how we do it...

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do they get through Liturgy in an hour? Even when rushed the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom still takes about an hour and a half.
I have heard that Greek usage is relatively "low church" and that they sometimes delete or shorten many things. Maybe someone can confirm or refute?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do they get through Liturgy in an hour? Even when rushed the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom still takes about an hour and a half.

negative. technically the Liturgy is supposed to be done in no more than an hour.

and I know because I have done it.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
negative. technically the Liturgy is supposed to be done in no more than an hour.

Wait, you're a priest? *feels out of the loop*

Anyway, maybe my parish is just slow then since ours is bilingual.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Wait, really? "Technically," how?

Ours takes...I mean, not counting 6th Hour, I think it usually takes 100 minutes or so?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I finally watched this. No offense to the OP or to anyone who likes WR, and of course it isn't like being there, but I just don't feel the draw. If a WR parish was my only choice, sure. But now I don't even really feel curious anymore.

I guess when I converted, I wasn't exactly a big mass-goer, so maybe I don't understand the shock of the switch. I suppose that if some of these forms and customs are really your cup of tea, I can't think of any reason why you should be kept from using them. There's liturgical variety and that's that.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wait, you're a priest? *feels out of the loop*

Anyway, maybe my parish is just slow then since ours is bilingual.

yeah, stuff like that can draw it out.

and I have been a priest for about a year and a half.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wait, really? "Technically," how?

Ours takes...I mean, not counting 6th Hour, I think it usually takes 100 minutes or so?

silent anaphora prayers, a short sermon, a good paced choir

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

SeekingServant

Orthodox Christian
Nov 17, 2017
Goldvein, VA
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I go to St. Patrick's. This is my parish. I started attending off and on since we moved to the area in the summer. I was looking into Orthodoxy closely before going to this parish. Fr. Patrick was so kind and very genuine. He advised me from the beginning to check out the Eastern Rite parishes in the area before I made a decision. I attended a Pan-Orthodox parish which was beautiful. They would say the Lord's Prayer in all the languages of the parish and sang it in the style of the Western Rite when it was done in English. I also went to a ROCOR parish and that was so very sweet, since it was in the woods. The people at both parishes were so very kind and loving and welcoming. At the ROCOR parish when I went in, I guess I passed off as Orthodox enough that the resident monk asked me if I sang, to which I said, "yes!". Then he proceeded to ask me to join the choir! Good thing I can sight read music fairly well because I didn't know what I was doing, but I faked it real hard. It wasn't until the Eucharist was being served that they realized that I wasn't yet chrismated! :) It was a very lovely experience.

Even though I loved both the Eastern Rite parishes, my heart kept on going back to St. Patrick's. There is just something there that suits me very well. It is a thriving parish with lots of children, as I've seen in all of the Orthodox parishes I've attended so far. Though it is western, it is fully Orthodox. I would hope that those who are having misgivings would come to one day understand that this is still and Orthodox church and there is a need for it. We are still your brothers and sisters in the Orthodox way and we don't have to be Eastern to be Orthodox.

I just met a wonderful young lady who just got back from Scotland and Ireland. She told me that it was her trip to Ireland that really solidified what it meant to be Western Rite Orthodox. She was able to go to the ancient sites of the old churches in Ireland and really get into the history and what Christianity was before the Great Schism. I don't believe that the Western Rite takes away from the Eastern Rite, since both are Orthodox and have a unique beauty all their own.

I wanted to add that I start my catechism classes on the 18th with the intent to be chrismated along with my children. Even my Buddhist husband will be attending some of the classes (which is a miracle if you ask me) due to his interest in the Orthodox church. The Orthodox church as blessed me in so many ways already and I'm not even official yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I go to St. Patrick's. This is my parish. I started attending off and on since we moved to the area in the summer. I was looking into Orthodoxy closely before going to this parish. Fr. Patrick was so kind and very genuine. He advised me from the beginning to check out the Eastern Rite parishes in the area before I made a decision. I attended a Pan-Orthodox parish which was beautiful. They would say the Lord's Prayer in all the languages of the parish and sang it in the style of the Western Rite when it was done in English. I also went to a ROCOR parish and that was so very sweet, since it was in the woods. The people at both parishes were so very kind and loving and welcoming. At the ROCOR parish when I went in, I guess I passed off as Orthodox enough that the resident monk asked me if I sang, to which I said, "yes!". Then he proceeded to ask me to join the choir! Good thing I can sight read music fairly well because I didn't know what I was doing, but I faked it real hard. It wasn't until the Eucharist was being served that they realized that I wasn't yet chrismated! :) It was a very lovely experience.

Even though I loved both the Eastern Rite parishes, my heart kept on going back to St. Patrick's. There is just something there that suits me very well. It is a thriving parish with lots of children, as I've seen in all of the Orthodox parishes I've attended so far. Though it is western, it is fully Orthodox. I would hope that those who are having misgivings would come to one day understand that this is still and Orthodox church and there is a need for it. We are still your brothers and sisters in the Orthodox way and we don't have to be Eastern to be Orthodox.

I just met a wonderful young lady who just got back from Scotland and Ireland. She told me that it was her trip to Ireland that really solidified what it meant to be Western Rite Orthodox. She was able to go to the ancient sites of the old churches in Ireland and really get into the history and what Christianity was before the Great Schism. I don't believe that the Western Rite takes away from the Eastern Rite, since both are Orthodox and have a unique beauty all their own.

I wanted to add that I start my catechism classes on the 18th with the intent to be chrismated along with my children. Even my Buddhist husband will be attending some of the classes (which is a miracle if you ask me) due to his interest in the Orthodox church. The Orthodox church as blessed me in so many ways already and I'm not even official yet.

great to hear you had such a positive experience! glory to God!

Upvote 0