Westboro Baptist Church

Tergle

Mar 29, 2011
✟939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You trying to shield your hate with the bible as many have. It shows and you have made the point quite clear to everyone even if you had not intended to do so.

You have to believe that to justify your hatred of Christians. There is no shield of hatred in the Gospel. We Christians that will not join the world in supporting immorality take that stand knowing full well the amount of vitriol worldy people will heap on us. It was that way since the beginning of the Church era, and it will stay that way until the end of days.

Your place is well noted.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You have to believe that to justify your hatred of Christians. There is no shield of hatred in the Gospel. We Christians that will not join the world in supporting immorality take that stand knowing full well the amount of vitriol worldy people will heap on us. It was that way since the beginning of the Church era, and it will stay that way until the end of days.

Your place is well noted.

I would like to bring everyone's attention to my avatar. This is how people like Tergle work. They insult others with baseless, generalized accusations and when you make a fool out of them, they talk about how they're the victims.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I will face that day as I did the Christians in the day of "no fault divorce" and Roe v Wade.

Watching the world decay is nothing I want to soil my hands with. You guys can play in that world all day long. I'll just hope that you don't raise my taxes to pay for your ills and diseases from a decadent life and lifestyle.

But I like the way you employ propaganda to legalize the hatred that will soon be justified against Christians like Paul of Tarsus and Peter from Galilee and Christians from the US and elsewhere that won't bow to "gay rights."
Christians in the United States who whine about persecution make me want to break heavy objects.

persecuted-not-persecuted.jpg

OppressedChristians.gif

Upvote 0

datgnat

Jun 2, 2011
Missouri
✟15,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
This may seem like a question that a hapless person might ask... but is this topic still about Westboro Baptist Church? Have the last four or five pages brought us to some realization about what causes them to operate in ridiculous outward acts of savage protest? Does it have something to do with the fact that instead of being a light to the world, they're a bat? Does it have something to do with the fact that instead of being a city on a hill, they're a gunnery emplacement?

Upvote 0

pirateninja

Nov 5, 2009
Canberra
✟15,131.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
People genuinely use the bible as a vessel for hate. They are in fact a large minority of people who proudly call themselves Christians.

Not all Christians mind you. Some/Many are Virtuous and Kind and Noble.

Quite so. I can't get my head around why Phelps is considered to be uniquely extreme. He has a peculiar and highly objectionable (to put it mildly) way of showing his aversion to homosexuals, but on the whole what he says is broadly consistent with many US religious leaders and other leaders who are religious. As an outsider I find it hard to see why Phelps is seen as being so different. See here, for example:

http://adultthought.ucsd.edu/Culture_War/The_American_Taliban.html

Upvote 0

him1087

Jun 10, 2011
USA
✟7,611.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello all, this is a really interesting discussion. I also recently watched the 2 documentaries on the WBC by Louis Theroux. The conclusion that I came to was a very interesting one. I see this group as a business that is in disguise of a church.

Yesterday I published an article stating my beliefs that this group should have to pay taxes just like any other business in the country. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Why I Think The Westboro Baptist Church Should Have To Pay Taxes

Upvote 0

CTD

May 24, 2011
✟1,499.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Quite so. I can't get my head around why Phelps is considered to be uniquely extreme. He has a peculiar and highly objectionable (to put it mildly) way of showing his aversion to homosexuals, but on the whole what he says is broadly consistent with many US religious leaders and other leaders who are religious.

''God hates you'' - WBC protest sign

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hello all, this is a really interesting discussion. I also recently watched the 2 documentaries on the WBC by Louis Theroux. The conclusion that I came to was a very interesting one. I see this group as a business that is in disguise of a church.

Yesterday I published an article stating my beliefs that this group should have to pay taxes just like any other business in the country. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Why I Think The Westboro Baptist Church Should Have To Pay Taxes
If I've understood your article correctly, you seem to be saying that WBC should be stripped of its tax-exempt status because it doesn't qualify as a Christian church. But wouldn't the government be violating the First Amendment if it started issuing legislation on what is or is not a Valid Christian Church™? Isn't the point that anyone can call themselves a church, and the government can't say whether they are or they aren't?

Upvote 0

EmiBrutus

Jan 3, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Other Religion
You really want to know? It's not media. It's their own sick minds. Yes. They are sick. And the best part is the whole "Jews killed Jesus" for a reason for hating Jews? Yeah..Jesus was Jewish. And so is my family. This is NOT a religion nor should it be even SEEN on this planet. They should be disgraced to call themselves human. And I am about to become their worst nightmare. The LGBT community, Obama, Jews and all other religions, EVERYONE knows more about honor and love then they EVER will.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You really want to know? It's not media. It's their own sick minds. Yes. They are sick. And the best part is the whole "Jews killed Jesus" for a reason for hating Jews? Yeah..Jesus was Jewish.
They seem well aware of that fact. They cite Matthew 27:25 as justification for their anti-Semitism: descendents of those who crucified Jesus should be punished as if they themselves had done it.

And so is my family.
The fact is, we're probably all descended from Jews, eventually. Depending on how firm matrilinear descent of Jewishness is, we're probably all Jews, too.

This is NOT a religion
Why isn't it a religion? They seem to be quite content citing Biblical passages for all their proclamations, they haven't stated anything that some religious group or other hasn't stated before, they believe in God and so forth - sounds like a religion to me.

nor should it be even SEEN on this planet. They should be disgraced to call themselves human. And I am about to become their worst nightmare.
How so?

The LGBT community, Obama, Jews and all other religions, EVERYONE knows more about honor and love then they EVER will.
I wonder if, in their heart of hearts, they think they're doing a kind and loving thing.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We Christians have a code of conduct which goes far beyond the obeying of a set of laws and commandments. Not only are we to do what is right, while refraining from doing what we know to be evil, but we are also to have the correct underlying reasons for what we do.

A passage which I call 'The Christians Code of Conduct' is this one;

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:16-26,NIV)

Look at the second paragraph (the acts of the sinful nature). There are those who would have us see the first three examples listed there, but not notice the ones that follow them. But all 15 acts listed there are to be seen by us as acts of the sinful nature. This includes hatred, discord, and fits of rage, as well as the other emotions found in that list.

And what emotions is the WBC trying to encourage in others? Is it these same emotions which we all can see as acts of the sinful nature? Yes, of course it is. They would have us hate and call it sanctified. They would have us spread discord and foment rage toward others and call it holy.

Understand this: It is only when our words and actions emanate from the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control) that we can claim that those words and actions are 'in synch' with what God wants of us. They are the 'laws written on our heart'. They are the borders within which all our words and actions must be confined. They are the parameters beyond which we must not go and still be assured that we are doing God's will rather than our own.

No one can truly say that he is representing God himself while attempting to bring to the surface those emotions which we see listed under the heading 'acts of the sinful nature'. It doesn't matter how many initials he has after his name, or how holy other people consider him to be. It doesn't matter how pious his words sound, or how many verses he uses in the effort to lead us into succumbing to his rhetoric. If he is seen as conspiring to instill hatred and rage inside us (or any of the other emotions which are acts of the sinful nature), he must be rejected by us.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I would like to bring everyone's attention to my avatar.
I've only been skimming the thread, so I'm sorry if I missed why it is worth noting... But what does Huey Freeman have to do with the discussion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I'm new here as you can see.

So i was wondering your views on the above Church. I noticed that Louis Theroux has another program about them tomorrow. I suppose your natural reaction could be one of, "these people are sick", but you can't technically fault them on what they say as it's all Biblical. Have we become so media conditioned and soft that we just accept everthing in society and never challenge anything and run away from hell raising preaching?. It's not like they come across as being a cult, they are very open and willing to have people examine them. Maybe they are speaking the truth, who knows... I suppose i believe they are just another piece in the whole jigsaw. Any thoughts?

First, they're not "Baptist". They don't hold to any of the Baptist Distinctives.

Second, when examined past a superficial level very little of what they say is Biblical and none of the way they go about saying it is Biblical.

They're very works based and extremely legalistic (which I mean in the Biblical sense of the word not the "I don't want to be accountable for my actions so I'm going to accuse you of legalism" modern day sense of the word).

When Shirley Phelps Roper was on Way Of The Master Radio she couldn't even articulate the Gospel. All she did was scream at Todd Friel for fifteen minutes and tell him he was going to Hell because repenting of sin isn't enough but that you have to actually not sin.

Third, you say they don't come across as a cult but one of the defining characteristics of a cult is the belief in loyalty to a person or organization for salvation.

I'm sure I'll be getting an infraction any day now for flaming the Westboro "Church".

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We don't have something like that in place right now, no.
Well maybe "we" should. It seems a bit of a zombie thread apocalypse around here at times.

Upvote 0