West Virginia argues transgender athlete is harming girls with track-and-field success

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
To this point, in Science class, I frequently revise my "filler" points with the more recent research. Research innately must create new words, or at least assign new meaning to words as new inventions, both physical, conceptual and intellectual ideas are created. It's just gonna happen.
Certainly to a point. But some words just don't catch on. Cis being one of them. It's strictly an ideological word that is quite useless. People don't use it in the their everyday language. The only time it's ever used is when speaking ideologically. Outside of that realm it has no meaning. And there is no requirement nor any logical or fun reason to use it.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Certainly to a point. But some words just don't catch on. Cis being one of them. It's strictly an ideological word that is quite useless. People don't use it in the their everyday language. The only time it's ever used is when speaking ideologically. Outside of that realm it has no meaning. And there is no requirement nor any logical or fun reason to use it.
“Watch” (the time keeping device) will fall out of the language in the future and will only be known to antiques collectors and horologists. It had its day, and now that we’ve all got clocks in our pockets, will be relegated to small, esoteric niches in society.

The term “cis” will likely fall by the way, too, but its time is now when we need a term to denote the “norm” from the neo. After transgender people are accorded their full due rights to live as they please, this term will fade from our collective memory as well.

Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The term “cis” will likely fall by the way, too, but its time is now when we need a term to denote the “norm” from the neo. After transgender people are accorded their full due rights to live as they please, this term will fade from our collective memory as well.

So you make meaningless terms/stuff up in an effort to promote an agenda?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Those were based on science and engineering, made up terms are not, so the answerer to the question is yes?
The point is that the complaint about using “cis” is a complaint about what happens to our language when a new element is placed within the society.

Yes, “cis-woman” is an arbitrary placeholder when the discussion involves trans-women; it only serves to minimize confusion. It is a short-term addition to the language for us to more adequately discuss transgender-related issues.

Complaints about how these terms are used (where they originated, who uses them, etc.), is at best tangential to the issues at hand. And while fun and worthy of discussion, ultimately meaningless to the actual issues being discussed.

If language is not malleable enough to incorporate new information it dies.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
To me made up terms just to further an agenda, even if the English language is at stake, remind me of Romans 1:22.
Have a nice day.
Yes, of course “made up terms” further the attempts of a minority to express society’s failure to adequately address injustices that the majority ignores.
That’s what language is for.
We make up words and phrases (all of the time) to express new ideas, technologies and circumstances.
It sounds as if you’d rather not be a part of the conversation over transgender-issues; that’s a fine, valid position to hold.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
“Watch” (the time keeping device) will fall out of the language in the future and will only be known to antiques collectors and horologists. It had its day, and now that we’ve all got clocks in our pockets, will be relegated to small, esoteric niches in society.

No we don't. We already have a word for the norm. It's called woman or man. The word that differentiates from the norm is trans. We don't need a word to normalize the norm. It's already there.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No we don't. We already have a word for the norm. It's called woman or man. The word that differentiates from the norm is trans. We don't need a word to normalize the norm. It's already there.
The professional nomenclature will continue on its merry way, using “woman” for woman is still be the norm for message boards and such.
We don’t have to change, anything, you are right.
But we can if we want to.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Already "clockwise" and "counterclockwise" are becoming obscure to the young 'uns.

It's useful when clarity is valued over anti-trans ideology.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you make meaningless terms/stuff up in an effort to promote an agenda?
Just because you object to the idea does not make the term meaningless.

To me made up terms just to further an agenda, even if the English language is at stake, remind me of Romans 1:22.
English, like all living languages will continue to change with time and circumstances.

Have a nice day.
Now here is a term that has come to mean "I claim the last word so shut up".

• Winner
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Just because you object to the idea does not make the term meaningless.
“Propitiation” was probably “new” once-upon-a-time. That did gangbusters!
English, like all living languages will continue to change with time and circumstances.

Now here is a term that has come to mean "I claim the last word so shut up".
I generally use “fare thee well” for that and when I’ve already decided that “this topic is dead to me tonight”.
As we all know. ol’ Pommer can be a bit verbose and longwinded. Generally I consider this to be a blessing, (though for me or for you gentle-reader, I cannot say).

• Friendly
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Already "clockwise" and "counterclockwise" are becoming obscure to the young 'uns.

It's useful when clarity is valued over anti-trans ideology.
You mean when that type of clarity is demanded by trans ideology. The rest of us don't need it.

• Agree
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟101,064.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Allowing 13-year-old Becky Pepper-Jackson to compete in girls’ sports “harms no one,” according to the family’s lawyers, but some of the 100 girls beaten by the transgender teen might disagree.

The West Virginia seventh-grader had a breakout track-and-field season this spring, defeating more than 100 girls in the discus and shot put. She beat out competitors 280 times and took one of the three coveted spots available to Bridgeport Middle School in both events for the conference championships, according to a court filing.

West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey brought a motion Tuesday detailing Becky’s march up the track-and-field rankings, saying the statistics show that Becky “is throwing farther than ever before — and improving much faster — than biologically female classmates.”

Actually there is nothing to argue here, transgender girls are biologically stronger and faster on average. Especially when they have undergo puberty. So it is only natural that trans girls can't be allowed to compete with real girls. The advantage is just far too great. This only robs people of opportunity. I say trans should have their own category. Just like how disable have theirs. A even playing field where people of similar physical base compete. Else stick with men's category.

As a personal anecdote, I was already stronger than my mom when I was around 10 years old, I can lift furniture around the house with ease while my mom has to exert strength and that was before I hit puberty. When I hit puberty around 12 years old, my strength increased drastically and my mom no longer can match me. The only person stronger in the house was my dad. And when I have completed my puberty I was even stronger than my dad.

At my peak of adulthood I was able to lift around 70KG - 75KG. Good days I can go 80KG. No training whatsoever. Days long past. But even now after passing midlife I can still go 60KG - 65KG. Enough to carry my parents if the emergency arise. Mind you I'm not a very tall or heavy man. I'm slightly below average height for a Malaysian. Talking about now makes me want to regain my peak strength again.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean when that type of clarity is demanded by trans ideology. The rest of us don't need it.
Thanks for explaining to me what I mean but you’re incorrect.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Thanks for explaining to me what I mean but you’re incorrect.
I think that precisely what you mean. The gender ideologues is cos because that wanted a word to pull the normal people into the abnormal world. It makes them a part of it and am ally of it. And we are refusing to be a part or an ally. We are men and we are women. If they wish to differentiate themselves in some way from the norm then be my guest. I'm not going to stop them. Just don't attempt to pull us into it. I'm simply a man. If you want to categorize yourself as something else okay. But I'm still just a man. My gender is man. Whatever they are is not real. It's something they want to be, but it's not real. You can claim to be aliagender or greygender but it's an illusion. It's not reality. You are still a man or a woman. There are only two genders. Man or woman.

Upvote 0