United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Were there more than Three Kings
Possibly. Scripture does not give a number. Three was apparently decided because three gifts are named; gold, myrrh and frankincense. My position is if God wanted us to know this or something else He would have revealed it in scripture.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Merry Christmas by the way!

Merry Christmas! And yes I believe their were more than just three wise men, but we really have no solid evidence for saying exactly how many or who they were IMO.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Three types of gifts are mentioned, the number magi are not mentioned. Also, magi, not kings. Magi were Zoroastrian priests who studied the stars. They represent the reality that Christ is King and the hope of all nations and people.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that there were only three men seeking the infant and bearing gifts-if that is your question. However, if your question is considering the total number of people in the Biblical account, then it should be a total consensus that the "three" did not travel alone. They were part of numerous other people-that was common-with caravan travels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I believe that there were only three men seeking the infant and bearing gifts-f that is your question. However, if your question is considering the total number of people in the Biblical account, then it should be a total consensus that the "three" did not travel alone. They were part of numerous other people-that was common-with caravan travels.

The text is silent on number of magi, that there were three became traditional because three gifts are mentioned. Names of the three magi developed over time, though different traditions give different names, Balthasar, Gaspar (Casper), and Melchior are the names given here in the West, but different names are found elsewhere.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The text is silent on number of magi, that there were three became traditional because three gifts are mentioned. Names of the three magi developed over time, though different traditions give different names, Balthasar, Gaspar (Casper), and Melchior are the names given here in the West, but different names are found elsewhere.

-CryptoLutheran

Yes, you are correct. The number of Magi is not mentioned. Thank you for pointing out my error.

Upvote 0