Went to see The Passion tonight....

LuxPerpetua

I am, therefore I love
Feb 7, 2004
Ohio
✟8,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
My husband and I just saw The Passion this weekend. All I can say is that it was an experience that I will never forget. I knew from my own Bible study that Jesus was tortured, but having never seen a real crucifixion I didn't understand the extent of that torture. I don't think seeing The Passion is necessary for all Christians, but I do think that it will help you to a clearer understanding of the depth of God's love for us. I thought this movie was brilliantly done! And Jesus doesn't kiss Mary Magdalen but rather his own mother Mary. The film, through the flashbacks and the tortures of Christ, does an excellent job at portraying both the humanity of Christ and His divinity. I really liked that there were no previews or silly cinema trivia before the movie began: you just sat listening to meditative music until the movie started. Very un-Hollywood like!

Upvote 0

eunice

Oct 28, 2003
Visit site
✟239.00
Faith
Christian
heyy people...i've really wanted to see this movie, but i've heard that its really violent* and i know its not overdone because tht really is what He's been through...but do you guys think it'd be okay for me to watch? (Im fourteen). I know that it varies for different people and such and such, but i jst want your opinion since some of u have seen it....so yeah. thanks! :)

Upvote 0

JMRE5150

Was Lost, Now Found!
Nov 21, 2003
Levittown, PA
Visit site
✟2,617.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
eunice said:
heyy people...i've really wanted to see this movie, but i've heard that its really violent* and i know its not overdone because tht really is what He's been through...but do you guys think it'd be okay for me to watch? (Im fourteen). I know that it varies for different people and such and such, but i jst want your opinion since some of u have seen it....so yeah. thanks! :)
Some folks think their children should see this...I disagree.

I have 2 children of my own, who will NOT be allowed to see this. I loved the movie, but I would recommend only 15+ year old children (and thats a very MATURE 15 too) should see it.

However, everyone is different, and you could be a very mature 14 year old. I would trust in what your parents suggest, and if they say no...let it be no.

It doesn't make you ANY LESS of a Christian if you don't see it, my friend.

God Bless you.

Upvote 0

Quiet Storm

Back in Shepherd's arms
Aug 19, 2002
Howard University
Visit site
✟1,269.00
Faith
Christian
Loved it loved it loved it. There were more than a few scenes when I wanted to leave the theatre, but I made myself watch it in its entirety. There is a lot of gore, but as everyone has said, it was to be realistic, not sell tickets, IMO. I agree with what someone said in that it strengthened my views on cmmunion. I took it the day afterwards, and it was "different".

Upvote 0

TherapyDogLove

Christian Dog Lover
Feb 23, 2004
Maryland
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Hi guys. I saw the movie on Friday March 5th. It was awesome. What I can't understand is why this movie did not trouble me. I feel guilty about it. I was not surprised by what I saw. I have read the bible cover to cover. It was what I expected. I already knew that Christ had to die a horrible death for our sins. Is there something wrong with me? I should certainly hope that it doesn't mean that I don't have enough of a heart for Jesus. I have heard how it emotionally impacted many Christians. It makes me feel like I don't really belong to God's kingdom or that I'm not part of the Christian family, since I didn't react like everybody else. This scares me. :eek: I continue to have faith in the Lord to the best of my knowledge, belief. I have not stopped doing my best to love, serve, worship and obey God as I should. It would be ridicilous to think that I could lose my salvation. That is a lie of the devil. If you in any way feel guilty, Satan will lie to you and tell you you don't belong to God and don't deserve to inherit his kingdom. Actually, none of us do. That's why we accepted Jesus to pay the price of our sins. Perhaps its because I'm numb. I'm concerned that what if its just book knowledge and that my heart doesn't love Jesus enough. I know I have felt the holy sprit and acted on the fruits of the holy spirit. I find myself being Christlike towards others, though just like the rest of us, not always. Perhaps the reason why this movie did not seem to move me like everybody else is because I am brave and strong. I mean I really loved the movie and the message it gave. I hope I'm really a true Christian. :sigh: I am going to think positive and just say God isn't finished with me yet. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

repentandbelieve

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟2,742.00
Faith
Christian
bigat said:
This film is amazing. You can sit and pick it apart line by line if you want - but by doing this you miss out on the entire point of the movie. Is there catholic influences in there? Yeah - obviously due to Mel's religious views - is this terrible? No. None of these catholic influences are such that it takes the movie way off base or even slightly off base. You must understand - this is what Mel's interpretation of the Gospels. I don't think that's a bad thing. I'm sure some of you have used a concordance in your Biblical studies - isn't that just a large book full of people's opinions on the Biblical text?

Is this for non-believers? It's tough to say. It depends on where that person is in their relationship (or lack of ) with Christ. Or their understanding of the story.

The
crucifixion of Christ was not a beautiful event as many films present it. Many Christians would love to think & feel this way. To think that Jesus didn't go through any type torture is just covering your eyes to the real sacrifice. He wasn't getting a lethal injection and falling asleep - he was being tortured - beaten - and killed in a very slow and painful way. Crucifixion is torture! I hate to break it to you - it was ugly, nasty, harsh,and very bloody. Gibson made no bones about showing this in his film. I applaud him for it.

When I was watching the movie (I've posted this in other places) the thing that was running through my mind was: How could he do this? How could he take this punishment for me? How easy would it have been for him to just come down off that cross and just walk away? He had all power. He was Jesus. God's son. He healed the sick, made the lame walk, turned bread to fish, water to wine, and walked on water. He could've said, "forget this - I'm outta here". Instead he took the torture and pain for me - for you - for everyone. This movie, as harsh as it is, makes me realize how amazing the sacrifice really was. No other movie has brought this to light.
By showing Mary also brought to mind how this would affect those around him. Imagine your child being brutally beaten - you have some understanding of why it's happening - but you can't do anything about it. You can only watch. You know that is why he is even here on this planet - to go through this torture - this moment - this is why he is here. Still - the anguish Mary must have felt. No parent would want to watch a child go through that.

This covers a 12 hour time span. that's it. Just 12. If you are/were expecting it to be completed all nice & neat like a James Bond movie - you are wrong. I think Gibson did a good job of sharing the Gospel story, although it is rather sparingly done, when he tosses in the "flashback" scenes. Jesus feeding the 5000 - meeting w/ the disciples in the last supper ect.. I heard the msg come through.

Anyway - take this movie for what it is. go into this movie ready to be profoundly changed. If you go into this movie with a chip on your shoulder - looking for mistakes - looking for something to point out what is wrong - you will miss it.

Again - it's all just my opinion - for what it's worth.

God bless.[/QUOTE
I agree. Yeah sure, Mel Gibson took more than a few liberties in making the film, things that are not backed up by scripture, but don't let these draw your attention away from the main point of the movie.

Upvote 0

ILUVPENGUINS

Mar 12, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟7,621.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I went to see this movie last week, and i am still moved by it. Sure, you have to realize that this is a movie made by Hollywood, and as long as you go into the movie with the attitude that you will allow the Holy Spirit to fill you and allow you to be moved, but yet overlook anything that may have just been added in for audience appeal (or to get the attention of non-believers) you will be movied by it.

As for the movie affecting non-believers. I went to see it with a close friend who is a non-believer, but is on the edge of believing. He was tremendously moved by the movie, he cried most of the time. I did not get to talk to him after the movie, but one of my christian friends rode home with him and they talked. I talked to him yesterday, and he said he saw it again, and it's so awesome b/c of the ending, and how Jesus came back to life and rebuilt H His Kingdom...then I had to stop him and explain to him that Jesus was only on Earth for a short amount of time and then went back into Heaven and is coming again one day and then the kingdom will be rebuilt. But anyways, I think this movie will have an impact on non-believers, but i think that for it to have the impact God wants, we, as christians, need to get out there and talk to the nonbelievers, because some of them may be confused or curious like my friend, and with out the urging and caring of us, they will just return to their own ways.

But anyways, the movie made a huge difference in my life. Everything is so realistic now, and I agree with someone who posted the idea that communion will never be the same. "Suffered and died for my sins" means something completely different to me now. And as for crying, i cried the entire movie, and i usually never cry...so be prepared...it is very powerful.

Upvote 0

B-Real

Dec 17, 2003
✟175.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Revelation 22:12 - 13 And, behold O come quickly; and my reward is with me to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega the begining and the end, the first and the last. I thought that the movie was awesome in it depiction of the crucifixion of Christ.The movie shows a very strong picture of what it must had been like for Jesus. He was the only one that was able to endure such pain for that is why he was born. God placed him in the womb of a virgin girl (Mary) to save the world. Without the word of God in your heart the movie will seem hard to watch but if you know the end to the path that Jesus must walk you would be rejoicing because he beared the cross through obedience to the Fther (GOD). John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. No, natural man could have done what God placed in Jesus to do -Because Jesus was born of the Holy Ghost the purity of God Jesus could do what no one else could-go to the cross and take on the sins of mthe world so that we could have access to eternal life. John 14:10 Believest thou that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself; but of the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the work. Because Jesus was the Son of God God did the work with Jesus giving him eternal strenght to endure the cross. John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me because I live, ye shall live also. Do you believe? He is RISENNNNNNN! :bow:

Upvote 0

cyberwood

Feb 2, 2004
Northern Virginia
✟242.00
Faith
Christian
He is RISENNNNNNN!

Amen sister! I was completely undone after seeing that movie, but the best part was that in my sobs I was happy! Even my greatest sorrows, when for the Lord, are uplifting. I will never again read John 15:13 in the same way after seeing the movie - it was simply because He loved us...wow! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Upvote 0

Philippe2

Veteran
Mar 9, 2004
Durban;South Africa
✟9,070.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I saw the movie today and will be seeing it again tommorow. I cried from the begining to the end. Every time they hit Jesus, it broke my heart more and more. He died for us and suffered for us. That is what the movie tried to show us. People you should learn to eat the meat and spit out the bones. Keep what is good and throw away the rest.

I have never loved God more than I do now, because the movie gave me a bit of a better idea of what He went through for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heinrich

Jul 16, 2003
Western Cape
✟762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I watched it also!!

It was amazing.. It's done absolutely stunningly beautifull.. The violence is so real it's almost beautifull as it rips your heart apart.
I didn't think they would show how they hit the nails into his hands.. but they do. I almost couldn't watch it...

The thing for me was that the most extradinary awsome thing was not the violence that I saw (That was bad enough actually) but it was the spiritual realization I had..
I was shook in my chair and a new revelation of what has happened at that cross broke into me. I truly repented there in that cinema. I realized a few things:
1. I'm not worthy
2. I do not deserve
3. I can never repay him

But still he did it for me. I will love him all my days for that

Upvote 0