Jan 10, 2003
Chicago - area
Visit site
✟616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I were able to go see a pre-screening of The Passion of Christ tonight. I'm still in a state of shock. I tried to prepare myself that this was going to be a very violent movie - according to everything I've been told & heard leading up to this. Nothing could prepare me. Nothing could prepare me for the impact that this movie would have. I cried. Several times I cried. There was one thing that just kept running through my mind during this movie - why? Why would He do this for me?

Growing up you read the gospels - during Easter you read the crucifixion & resurection account - you invision in your mind what it must have been like, look like or felt like. This movie brought it to a whole new level. To watch a person go through this tramendous torture - to watch them go through this pain & know that it was because of you. He didn't have to do it. He had the power to get up and walk away - He had the power to make every guard beating him fall to their knees - but He didn't. It was for me! For you! For us! Amazing! How amazing is His love for me that He would do this.

After the movie was over there was about 5 - 6 minutes of credits and not a person moved. Everyone just sat there - some praying - some weeping, but not one person in that theatre would leave that place the same way the entered.

ShetlandRose

Loves Dogs!
Jan 18, 2004
Land of Hiawatha
✟1,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you, "bigat." I want to see this movie! I think it will be everything I hoped for, which is a tremendous witness for Christ that will touch millions of people. For my husband and me it will mean a 130-mile round trip to go to a theatre in a city, but I am certain it will be worth the time and effort. We have an agnostic friend that has been talking of going to the movie also (with us). Praying.

Is there much of the resurrection at the end?

ShetlandRose :angel:

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
I saw this movie on Monday night with a group of churches in my area. I have to say that this was the first movie that I can remember ever, where the fully packed theatre was silent from the beginning until after the last credit rolled.

I was surprised to see that some had brought their young children, I don’t' think this is something that anyone under 18 should see.

It was not just bloody; there was gore everywhere. They beat his back, legs side, front, to a pulp, flesh and blood splattered the roman guards faces as they took relish in what they were doing, and at most times they seemed demonically possessed.

Satan flits in and out of practically every scene and there is a fairly long scene or two with Judas where a group of children become possessed and taunt him to death that is unbiblical as well as un-needed in my opinion.

The beating does not end there however, they continue (no where in the gospels do you find this) to beat him all the way to Calvary, causing him to stumble and fall numerous times.

The resurrection scene took all of 12 seconds, and showed a little too much flesh for my eyes. The whole point of our salvation rests not on the crucifixion but on the resurrection and I believe that at least a whole minute could have been devoted to it.

Be prepared to cry, be prepared to hear crying in the theatre, be prepared to avert your eyes and protect your soul, but most important cover yourself in prayer and those in the audience before it starts.

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
One, other thing, I just noticed bigat's poster, the two thieves that were crusified with him only carried the top cross beams but Jesus carried a rough-hewn ( with bark still on) fully put together cross, I found that rather strange.

Also there are Catholic overtones everywhere, such as all the disciples referring to Mary as "Mother", and Mary saying ( in the movie not the Bible) that she wanted to die with him at the cross. And on the way to the hill he stumbles and a young woman offers him a drink and her head covering which he wipes his face with and leaves an exact impression of his face in blood ( even though blood isn't covering everywhere to match what is on the cloth).

One other part was rather odd, in a flashback Jesus is building a table, not a 1st century table but one that would need chairs like we have today. He playfully swipes at Mary Magdalene and kisses her in a very familiar way, (like the gnostic texts speak about) leaving you with the feeling that Mel wants you to believe that Jesus invented the dining room table. I found this rather strange.

Upvote 0

looksgood

Veteran
Sep 19, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟17,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From some of these scenes I am hearing about this is not something I care to see. But then I never trusted anything hollywood comes out with to hold to biblical standards. In fact I am offended half the time when I watch their views on biblical things.

Besides, I never cared how mary is depicted in catholic things, and that whole kissing mary magdalene thing goes a long way to fix in peoples minds that maybe Jesus did have a family. Such a thing is just perfect for the coming man of sin to be able to say he came from the blood line of david. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

flyfishing

Feb 6, 2004
✟612.00
Faith
Christian
Zayit said:
One, other thing, I just noticed bigat's poster, the two thieves that were crusified with him only carried the top cross beams but Jesus carried a rough-hewn ( with bark still on) fully put together cross, I found that rather strange.

Also there are Catholic overtones everywhere, such as all the disciples referring to Mary as "Mother", and Mary saying ( in the movie not the Bible) that she wanted to die with him at the cross. And on the way to the hill he stumbles and a young woman offers him a drink and her head covering which he wipes his face with and leaves an exact impression of his face in blood ( even though blood isn't covering everywhere to match what is on the cloth).

One other part was rather odd, in a flashback Jesus is building a table, not a 1st century table but one that would need chairs like we have today. He playfully swipes at Mary Magdalene and kisses her in a very familiar way, (like the gnostic texts speak about) leaving you with the feeling that Mel wants you to believe that Jesus invented the dining room table. I found this rather strange.

These things were put in by gibson because of a catholic writer (sorry forget the name).. This woman is so controversial is doubtful whether she was a believer. The scenes mentioned do contradict Gods word, so i label her as a false prophet...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bigat

Jan 10, 2003
Chicago - area
Visit site
✟616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This film is amazing. You can sit and pick it apart line by line if you want - but by doing this you miss out on the entire point of the movie. Is there catholic influences in there? Yeah - obviously due to Mel's religious views - is this terrible? No. None of these catholic influences are such that it takes the movie way off base or even slightly off base. You must understand - this is what Mel's interpretation of the Gospels. I don't think that's a bad thing. I'm sure some of you have used a concordance in your Biblical studies - isn't that just a large book full of people's opinions on the Biblical text?

Is this for non-believers? It's tough to say. It depends on where that person is in their relationship (or lack of ) with Christ. Or their understanding of the story.

The
crucifixion of Christ was not a beautiful event as many films present it. Many Christians would love to think & feel this way. To think that Jesus didn't go through any type torture is just covering your eyes to the real sacrifice. He wasn't getting a lethal injection and falling asleep - he was being tortured - beaten - and killed in a very slow and painful way. Crucifixion is torture! I hate to break it to you - it was ugly, nasty, harsh,and very bloody. Gibson made no bones about showing this in his film. I applaud him for it.

When I was watching the movie (I've posted this in other places) the thing that was running through my mind was: How could he do this? How could he take this punishment for me? How easy would it have been for him to just come down off that cross and just walk away? He had all power. He was Jesus. God's son. He healed the sick, made the lame walk, turned bread to fish, water to wine, and walked on water. He could've said, "forget this - I'm outta here". Instead he took the torture and pain for me - for you - for everyone. This movie, as harsh as it is, makes me realize how amazing the sacrifice really was. No other movie has brought this to light.
By showing Mary also brought to mind how this would affect those around him. Imagine your child being brutally beaten - you have some understanding of why it's happening - but you can't do anything about it. You can only watch. You know that is why he is even here on this planet - to go through this torture - this moment - this is why he is here. Still - the anguish Mary must have felt. No parent would want to watch a child go through that.

This covers a 12 hour time span. that's it. Just 12. If you are/were expecting it to be completed all nice & neat like a James Bond movie - you are wrong. I think Gibson did a good job of sharing the Gospel story, although it is rather sparingly done, when he tosses in the "flashback" scenes. Jesus feeding the 5000 - meeting w/ the disciples in the last supper ect.. I heard the msg come through.

Anyway - take this movie for what it is. go into this movie ready to be profoundly changed. If you go into this movie with a chip on your shoulder - looking for mistakes - looking for something to point out what is wrong - you will miss it.

Again - it's all just my opinion - for what it's worth.

God bless.

Reactions: wonder111
Upvote 0

LovinGod

Jun 30, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟284.00
Faith
Christian
It was an awesome movie.

When did Jesus kiss Mary M in a "familiar" way? Or are we referring to Mary his mother?

Do we know that Mary M was the same woman who Jesus rescued from being stoned?

What was up with Satan carrying that "baby" while Jesus was being beaten? I didn't get what that was about.

I absolutely think that non-believers can get something out of this. Even if this movie wasn't about Jesus Christ, but about any old Joe Smith, it has a very poignant story about intolerance and controversy and what lengths some people, even religious people, go through in order to protect what they hold sacred.

I definitely would encourage all parents to view the movie first before deeming it appropriate for their own child. It is an R-rated movie for a reason.

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
well I found it to be quite acurate biblically.

And someone earlier said that they beat him too much or something? I dont think so. If you have ever done any research historically, the ROmans were brutal people, and it dose not surprise me that they would have beaten him as badly as they did.

I will post more later about that, because I need to dig out my history books, I want to secure my points (Im a history major)

Anyways I saw it alst night also. And, wow. I still havent been able to fully conceive it in my mind yet.
After the movie ended, the whole theater just sat there in scilence, even after the credits rolled. No one moved. NO ONE.
There was complete silence on teh way home. IM sitll having a hard time thinking about it. I feel sick and I am having a hard time eating.

I cried.... no not cried, sobbed the whole way through it. Not just at the end, the whole way thru it. There wass o many times I wanted to turn my eyes away, but I forced myself to watch it. I found the whipping scene to be particularly difficult to watch.

It was most definetly bloody and gory, but I think it wasnt too over done. And I hope peopel dont simply go see it because there is blood and gore. Its not blood and gore, but we have to remember that its reality. It is what happened. And so many times churhc or sunday school waters down the reality of the fact.

Someone perviously said that they were upset with the fact that there wasnt more emphasis on the ressurection because that is the base of our salvation, however, Mels direction behind this movie was NOT the ressurection BUT the curcifixion. The whole point to the movie was the crucifixion. Not the ressurection. Now IM an in NO WAY stating that the ressurection is not important, because it certainly is. But we cant go making comments about the lack of ressurection, when the movie was not about the ressurection
I went in tehre, and was surprised that they did as much as they did for teh ressurection. I think it was very tastefully done too.

I also enjoyed how they portraied satan in the movie. But I did have one question, maybe you guys can help me out.
Durring one scene, "satan" was seen holding a demond like baby, what does that symbolize? Cos I checked in my bible and I cant find anything. Maybe its not acurate biblically, but it would have to symbolize something. ANy takes on it people??

I think it was well done. Hats off To Mr Gibson for taking a step no one else was willing to take. I think many people will be affected by this. Whether they are a believer or not. Its powerful. It really is. And Im not just saying that because I am a christian. I am only a fairlyt new christian of under 2 years. And I think we should encourage people to see it.

I will post more once I get it all sorted out in my brain. I just really hope that between these threads and all the controversy (aroudn teh world) there isnt huge arguments and fights :( I dont think God would want us fighting over this.

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
bigat said:
This film is amazing. You can sit and pick it apart line by line if you want - but by doing this you miss out on the entire point of the movie. Is there catholic influences in there? Yeah - obviously due to Mel's religious views - is this terrible? No. None of these catholic influences are such that it takes the movie way off base or even slightly off base. You must understand - this is what Mel's interpretation of the Gospels. I don't think that's a bad thing. I'm sure some of you have used a concordance in your Biblical studies - isn't that just a large book full of people's opinions on the Biblical text?

Is this for non-believers? It's tough to say. It depends on where that person is in their relationship (or lack of ) with Christ. Or their understanding of the story.

The
crucifixion of Christ was not a beautiful event as many films present it. Many Christians would love to think & feel this way. To think that Jesus didn't go through any type torture is just covering your eyes to the real sacrifice. He wasn't getting a lethal injection and falling asleep - he was being tortured - beaten - and killed in a very slow and painful way. Crucifixion is torture! I hate to break it to you - it was ugly, nasty, harsh,and very bloody. Gibson made no bones about showing this in his film. I applaud him for it.

When I was watching the movie (I've posted this in other places) the thing that was running through my mind was: How could he do this? How could he take this punishment for me? How easy would it have been for him to just come down off that cross and just walk away? He had all power. He was Jesus. God's son. He healed the sick, made the lame walk, turned bread to fish, water to wine, and walked on water. He could've said, "forget this - I'm outta here". Instead he took the torture and pain for me - for you - for everyone. This movie, as harsh as it is, makes me realize how amazing the sacrifice really was. No other movie has brought this to light.
By showing Mary also brought to mind how this would affect those around him. Imagine your child being brutally beaten - you have some understanding of why it's happening - but you can't do anything about it. You can only watch. You know that is why he is even here on this planet - to go through this torture - this moment - this is why he is here. Still - the anguish Mary must have felt. No parent would want to watch a child go through that.

This covers a 12 hour time span. that's it. Just 12. If you are/were expecting it to be completed all nice & neat like a James Bond movie - you are wrong. I think Gibson did a good job of sharing the Gospel story, although it is rather sparingly done, when he tosses in the "flashback" scenes. Jesus feeding the 5000 - meeting w/ the disciples in the last supper ect.. I heard the msg come through.

Anyway - take this movie for what it is. go into this movie ready to be profoundly changed. If you go into this movie with a chip on your shoulder - looking for mistakes - looking for something to point out what is wrong - you will miss it.

Again - it's all just my opinion - for what it's worth.

God bless.
Beautifully said. WOnderful :clap: :clap: I agree with you 100% on every point you made. You were just able tyo get them out better then I did :)

I have to say, when he was on teh cross and he was saying forgive them for they know not what they do, was such a statement in his faithfulness. WOW!

Anotehr thing, I loved how they brought mary into it. Like you said yu can really relate because she was his mother.

When teh movie ended, all I could think about was :
"amazing love how can it be, that YOU MY KING WOULD DIE FOR ME, amazing love I knohw its true, and its my joy to honor you... in all I do I honor you... you are my king... you are my king...." like wow.

I felt so many emotions... shame, guilt, anger, hurt, frustration, at one point I was questioning GOd why he would do that. WE ARE SO NOT WORTHY.

Wow....
just wow.

I did not expect what I saw. I prayed before seeing it, and still... I have left moved.

Wow...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ShetlandRose

Loves Dogs!
Jan 18, 2004
Land of Hiawatha
✟1,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am eager to read all the posts of those of you who have seen The Passion already. I won't be able to go to see it for a couple of weeks.

The "pink" typeface font is very hard to read in your posts, however. I had to highlight your posts in order to view them. Just letting you know.

Upvote 0

flyfishing

Feb 6, 2004
✟612.00
Faith
Christian
ShetlandRose said:
Again, I haven't seen the movie, but regarding Satan holding a baby... Do you think perhaps it represents the prophecy of the anti-christ, which will be a human mortal man but possessed by Satan himself? Just wondering.

Or perhaps an anti abortion message sublingual??

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ShetlandRose said:
I am eager to read all the posts of those of you who have seen The Passion already. I won't be able to go to see it for a couple of weeks.

The "pink" typeface font is very hard to read in your posts, however. I had to highlight your posts in order to view them. Just letting you know.
Thanks Sheldo, I changed it... plain old black, I hope thats better! :p

Upvote 0

Philip4Jesus

Sep 26, 2003
Washington
Visit site
✟288.00
Faith
Christian
After reading some comments posted ....,

I don't mean to be the "party crasher" so to speak , but may I point out/ remind people that this is just a movie, not everything in it is going to be biblical... some of it is in there for entertainment purposes or to keep the veiwer interested. Mel Gibson knows that the object of a movie to to bring a story to life and keeping your veiwers interested in the story is key...., that is what sells tickets, people , that is how movies get word of mouth advertising.

My grandmother, who is a Christian, found the movie boring . I don't plan on seeing it because like I said before ...., it is just a movie.. If you really want to develope your relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ/GOD , istead of wasting your time in some movie theater watching some gory movie, why don't you spend that time reading the bible, expanding your knowlegde of GODS word or in a bible study class or some activity that will draw you closer to the Lord.

Upvote 0