Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"...looks like it was designed..." What does design look like to you? How do you tell if something "looks designed?"

I'll refer you to the story about the judge who when asked to define inappropriate contentography said, "I can't define, but I know it when I see it."

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If that's the way you took it I can't argue.

You could always apologize.

You have to see it from my point of view. I'm like a coach. I appreciate what my players do correctly. It's what they are missing that really concerns me.

Your "players" are missing the fact that we are evolved beings. That does not negate Christianity, merely some of the creation myth of Genesis. Others, such as the Noah's Ark story, were shown to be myths even longer ago.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'll refer you to the story about the judge who when asked to define inappropriate contentography said, "I can't define, but I know it when I see it."

And that poor answer is why inappropriate contentography is legal. He really could not identify it. He was being dishonest.

Now I can explain to you why child inappropriate content is wrong. I doubt if you could come up with a good reason for regular inappropriate content to be wrong.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And that poor answer is why inappropriate contentography is legal. He really could not identify it. He was being dishonest.

I think he was being honest.

Now I can explain to you why child inappropriate content is wrong. I doubt if you could come up with a good reason for regular inappropriate content to be wrong.

Are you defending 'regular' inappropriate content?

inappropriate content is wrong because of the bad effect it has on society, much like pot.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think he was being honest.

He may have thought that he was being honest. He clearly was not.

Are you defending 'regular' inappropriate content?

Why not? Countless people enjoy it. It is more than likely a positive source for society on average.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why not? Countless people enjoy it. It is more than likely a positive source for society on average.

What is the scientific opinion? I would think that any more nonsense and people's heads would explode.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A better source that points out the same thing:

inappropriate contentography: Beneficial or Detrimental?

I could go on. There have been no real drawbacks to inappropriate content. "inappropriate content addiction" is mostly nonsense. There may be a few people out there that can't control themselves, but one has to wonder what they would to to relieve themselves if inappropriate content was not available. They could be the people that do not rape when inappropriate content is available.

If people do not like inappropriate content, they can simply avoid it. Forcing someone to watch or see it that did not want to would be wrong too of course. So if you don't want to see it, don't watch it. And you do not have to feel guilty for not wanting to watch it, nor should others hassle you for that. Of course turnabout is fair play. You should not hassle your friends, coworkers, and neighbors that like inappropriate content.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That it has obvious benefits. As inappropriate content usage goes up, sex crimes go down:

http://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...03/title/inappropriate content--Good-for-us-/

So correlation does equal causation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A better source that points out the same thing:

inappropriate contentography: Beneficial or Detrimental?

I could go on. There have been no real drawbacks to inappropriate content. "inappropriate content addiction" is mostly nonsense. There may be a few people out there that can't control themselves, but one has to wonder what they would to to relieve themselves if inappropriate content was not available. They could be the people that do not rape when inappropriate content is available.

If people do not like inappropriate content, they can simply avoid it. Forcing someone to watch or see it that did not want to would be wrong too of course. So if you don't want to see it, don't watch it. And you do not have to feel guilty for not wanting to watch it, nor should others hassle you for that. Of course turnabout is fair play. You should not hassle your friends, coworkers, and neighbors that like inappropriate content.

There are much more comprehensive studies available that show more of the negative aspects of inappropriate content. Men's Health has a good one (I didn't post it because the visuals aren't appropriate here).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There are much more comprehensive studies available that show more of the negative aspects of inappropriate content. Men's Health has a good one (I didn't post it because the visuals aren't appropriate here).
That's all very well, but it won't deflect us from the fact that you have no idea of what "design" is, or what it "looks like."

But you are not alone. The ID position boils down to this:

"We know evolution couldn't do it because that would interfere with our religious beliefs, so it must have been designed--whatever that means (and we really don't care what it means as long as evolution didn't do it)."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's all very well, but it won't deflect us from the fact that you have no idea of what "design" is, or what it "looks like."

But you are not alone. The ID position boils down to this:

"We know evolution couldn't do it because that would interfere with our religious beliefs, so it must have been designed--whatever that means (and we really don't care what it means as long as evolution didn't do it)."

Tangents aren't necessarily deflection.

My position has more to do with what is obvious than my beliefs. It's an "eyes to see" thing.

Science articles on the creation are replete with the term "design". I heard it again last evening watching NatGeo. If I hadn't been debating the point I probably wouldn't have noticed. Writers of these shows should be cautioned not to use inappropriate terms when describing the physical world. It might confuse people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You could still link it, though "Men's Health" does not hold a candle to Psychology Today in respect from the experts in the field. One can find sources that support almost any argument. Then one must look and see how valid the source is and how valid their references are. I will take Psychology Today any day over a magazine such as Men's Health.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not necessarily. That was not the claim. But the claims of the "evils of inappropriate contentography" have been shown to be false.

I doubt that this could be 'shown'.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Tangents aren't necessarily deflection.

My position has more to do with what is obvious than my beliefs. It's an "eyes to see" thing.

Science articles on the creation are replete with the term "design". I heard it again last evening watching NatGeo. If I hadn't been debating the point I probably wouldn't have noticed. Writers of these shows should be cautioned not to use inappropriate terms when describing the physical world. It might confuse people.

Yes, but what you are performing is an equivocation error every time that you run across that word.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You could still link it, though "Men's Health" does not hold a candle to Psychology Today in respect from the experts in the field. One can find sources that support almost any argument. Then one must look and see how valid the source is and how valid their references are. I will take Psychology Today any day over a magazine such as Men's Health.

Most articles on the subject rely on credible sources. I read yours and Men's Health. Men's Health was not one-sided like yours was.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant