Was the OT totally in reference to God the Father?

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
the Lord said to him, “I am the Lord. Tell Pharaoh, Egypt’s king, everything that I’ve said to you.” Exodus 6:29

Statements like this are from God the Father, correct? The New Testament is God the Father speaking through Jesus, is that correct? Jesus says that the Father is in Him. So was the Old Testament mainly God the Father speaking?

Dustoff

May 28, 2017
Ontario
✟87,718.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No you are incorrect. Our Jesus is the Yahveh of the OT. Anytime you see God appearing thats Jesus. The pre-incarnate Christ. It was Jesus speaking out of the burning bush for eg. Gen.1/1 Jesus was the creator God. Obviously, there is only one God and when God speaks they are all speaking. But almost everywhere in the OT you see or hear God its the pre-incarnate Christ.

If you want to see Jesus in the OT read Isaiah 6 and Ezek 1.

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No you are incorrect. Our Jesus is the Yahveh of the OT. Anytime you see God appearing thats Jesus. The pre-incarnate Christ. It was Jesus speaking out of the burning bush for eg. Gen.1/1 Jesus was the creator God. Obviously, there is only one God and when God speaks they are all speaking. But almost everywhere in the OT you see or hear God its the pre-incarnate Christ.

How do you know this?

Reactions: OzSpen
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
the Lord said to him, “I am the Lord. Tell Pharaoh, Egypt’s king, everything that I’ve said to you.” Exodus 6:29

Statements like this are from God the Father, correct? The New Testament is God the Father speaking through Jesus, is that correct? Jesus says that the Father is in Him. So was the Old Testament mainly God the Father speaking?

All three persons of the Trinity are present in the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

Dustoff

May 28, 2017
Ontario
✟87,718.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is theology 101 Every "conservative evangelical " seminary in the world teaches this. This is basic christian doctrine. The only way God deals with this world is through Jesus.
Jesus himself in John 8 claimed to be the person speaking out of the burning bush. Called himself "I am" Which the Jews correctly interpreted and tried to stone him.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

But the OT says that the Lord is telling "Son of Man" to do things. When Jesus is on the cross, or praying in the Wilderness, He is not talking to Himself. When the sky opened up upon His baptism, was it not The Father who said " This is my beloved Son with whom I am well pleased"? And Jesus said " Father, please forgive them for they know not what they do". Wasn't that in reference to the Father ? Are you saying that YWHW and Emmanuel are the same being?

Upvote 0

Dustoff

May 28, 2017
Ontario
✟87,718.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the NT it was Jesus speaking to the Father and the Father speaking to the world. Its interesting that the Father in speaking pointed only at Jesus. Anywhere in the OT where God appears it is Jesus in his pre-incarnate form. That is him prior to his incarnation. The son of man there in Ezek is Ezek. God (Jesus) speaking to Ezek.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Jaxxi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Jaxxi, though I am unwilling to be dogmatic about it, I believe that all of the physical appearances of God in the OT were actually made by the second Member of the Godhead, the pre-incarnate Lord Jesus Christ. IOW, the finger that wrote on the ground (in the presence of the scribes, the Pharisees and the adulterous woman .. in John 8), also wrote the Decalogue on two tablets of stone atop Mt. Sinai centuries earlier.

I believe that this fact helps us understand what verses like these really mean: John 1:18, 6:46; 1 Timothy 6:16; 1 John 4:12 (IOW, how it can be true that God "the Father" has never been/cannot be "seen" by anyone, except God the Son, that is).

Also, in John 12:41, the Apostle John seems to say that Isaiah saw God the Son (not God the Father), sitting on the throne in his Throne Room vision .. Isaiah 6:1-4. In fact, the translation teams of paraphrased translations, like the NIV, confirm this fact (as you will see at the link to v41 above).

The jury about this is still out for me, but I am definitely leaning toward the idea that it was the "pre-incarnate" God/2nd Member of the Godhead, who made all of the various, physical appearances of God in the OT.

--David

Upvote 0

Dustoff

May 28, 2017
Ontario
✟87,718.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that YWHW and Emmanuel are the same being?

That is exactly what I am saying. YWHW is Jesus in the OT before the incarnation. Emmanuel is Jesus in the NT in a physical body. The Emmanuel prophecy was a prophecy through a prophet. OT or NT there are still Father and Son but the member of the Godhead speaking in the OT is Jesus

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That is exactly what I am saying. YWHW is Jesus in the OT before the incarnation. Emmanuel is Jesus in the NT in a physical body. The Emmanuel prophecy was a prophecy through a prophet. OT or NT there are still Father and Son but the member of the Godhead speaking in the OT is Jesus
Ok and we have this.
He was exalted to God’s right side and received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit. He poured out this Spirit, and you are seeing and hearing the results of his having done so. Acts 2:33

So where do we find God the Father?

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello @Jaxxi, though I am unwilling to be dogmatic about it, I believe that all of the physical appearances of God in the OT were actually made by the second Member of the Godhead, the pre-incarnate Lord Jesus Christ. IOW, the finger that wrote on the ground (in the presence of the scribes, the Pharisees and the adulterous woman .. in John 8), also wrote the Decalogue on two tablets of stone atop Mt. Sinai centuries earlier.

I believe that this fact helps us understand what verses like these really mean: John 1:18, 6:46; 1 Timothy 6:16; 1 John 4:12 (IOW, how it can be true that God "the Father" has never been/cannot be "seen" by anyone, except God the Son, that is).

Also, in John 12:41, the Apostle John seems to say that Isaiah saw God the Son (not God the Father), sitting on the throne in his Throne Room vision .. Isaiah 6:1-4. In fact, the translation teams of paraphrased translations, like the NIV, confirm this fact (as you will see at the link to v41 above).

The jury about this is still out for me, but I am definitely leaning toward the idea that it was the "pre-incarnate" God/2nd Member of the Godhead, who made all of the various, physical appearances of God in the OT.

--David
Thank you! I never picked up on that clue before because we never knew what He was writing but it was important enough to tell us that He did it. That is telling us He wrote the tablets too right? See the Bible is forever blowing my mind

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dustoff

May 28, 2017
Ontario
✟87,718.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok and we have this.
He was exalted to God’s right side and received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit. He poured out this Spirit, and you are seeing and hearing the results of his having done so. Acts 2:33

So where do we find God the Father?

We find God the Father in the same place he always is ie: in heaven. OT & NT
Col.1 15-16 When you look at the invisible triune God you see Jesus. Everything that was created was created by Jesus.

"but the member of the Godhead speaking in the OT is Jesus"

I said that above maybe I didn't phrase it well. The HS was still present all through history speaking through the prophets.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

--David
Spot on, David!
Jesus is also the Logos of God (John 1:1-3), so there is an argument to be made that the second Person was the first Person's mouthpiece.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

OP question: Was the OT totally in reference to God the Father?

Before the creation of our universe. God the Father-Son-Holy Spirit, crafted & executed the plan for our universe.

Lk 1:68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

Jn 6:38 "Jesus said; I have come down from heaven"

Jn 8:23 Jesus said, You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world, this earthly order; I am not of this world

Jn 16:28 Jesus said; I came out from the Father & have come into the world; again, I am leaving the world & going to the Father

Jn 17:5 Father, glorify Me along with Yourself & "restore Me to such majesty & honor in Your presence as I had with You before the world existed

God the Son Jehovah/Jesus is the agent by whom God the Father works in our universe.

God the Son = Jehovah/Jesus is PREEMINENT (Col 1:18) in ALL things within our realm:

Creation: Jn 1:3 & 10, Col 1:16, 1 Cor 8:6, - Redemption: Gal 3:13, Rev 5:9, Col 1:14, Rom3:24, - Resurrection: Jn 11:25, Acts 4:33, 1Pet 1:3 & 3:21, - Mediation: 1 Tim 2:5, Heb 8:6, 9:15, - 12:24,- Jugdment: Jn 5:22, Rom 2:16, 2 Tim 4:1.

After creation; Gen 1: Jehovah/God the Son rested from his work.

After Jesus/Jehovah = God the Son finished the work of redemption. He go's to Heaven and sits down next at the right hand of the One that sent him = God the Father (Acts 7:55-56, Eph 1:20, Col 3:1, Heb 8:1). JJ

Upvote 0