Was the first day of the week also called the Lord's day?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟88,731.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disclaimer: Please note that this OP/thread is NOT about the Sabbath. I assume that the Sabbath is on Saturday. See Should we keep the Sabbaths?.

Apostle John mentioned "first day" in John 20:
20 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.​

Later, the same John also mentioned "Lord's Day" in Revelation 1:
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet.​

Was the first day of the week also called the Lord's Day?

NT alone does not say that explicitly.

Outside Scripture, Didache 14:
But every Lord's day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.​

Wiki:
Didache 14 was apparently understood by the writers of the Didascalia and Apostolic Constitutions as a reference to Sunday worship.

Around 110 AD, St. Ignatius of Antioch used "Lord's" in a passage of his letter to the Magnesians. ...

In the expanded version of Magnesians, this passage to make "Lord's Day" a clear reference to Sunday, as Resurrection Day.

I think the Lord's Day was more likely the first day of the week than any other day of the week.

Last edited:

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
John 20:
20 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.​

Revelation 1:
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet.​

Didache:
But every Lord's day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure.​

I think the Lord's day was more likely the first day of the week than any other day of the week.
You’re adding to what’s not there Rev 1 does not say the first day. God claimed a day in His own Words. He wrote it and spoke it.
John 20 speaks nothing about the first day being the Lords day, His holy day or a new Sabbath. Scripture shows the Sabbath has not changed.

Jesus rested on the Sabbath even in death and never said anything about a change in one of the commandments we are told no editing Deut 4:2. His followers still kept the Sabbath after His death and long after the cross Acts 13:42 Acts 13:44 Acts 18:4

Matthew 28:1 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.
Luke 23:56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

God said and wrote :

Exo 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

The Lord says:

Isaiah 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,

The Sabbath will be kept in heaven, no mention of the first day being the Lords day of worship in heaven only the Sabbath from beginning Gen 2:1-3 to the end because its eternal. God’s will for us on earth is the same as it is in heaven

Isaiah 66:22“For as the new heavens and the new earth
Which I will make shall remain before Me,” says the Lord,
“So shall your descendants and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass
That from one New Moon to another,
And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You’re adding to what’s not there Rev 1 does not say the first day. God claimed a day in His own Words. He wrote it and spoke it.
John 20 speaks nothing about the first day being the Lords day, His holy day or a new Sabbath. Scripture shows the Sabbath has not changed.

Jesus rested on the Sabbath even in death and never said anything about a change in one of the commandments we are told no editing Deut 4:2. His followers still kept the Sabbath after His death and long after the cross Acts 13:42 Acts 13:44 Acts 18:44

Matthew 28:1 Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.
Luke 23:56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

God said and wrote :

Exo 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

The Lord says:

Isaiah 58:13 “If you turn away your foot from the Sabbath,
From doing your pleasure on My holy day,
And call the Sabbath a delight,
The holy day of the Lord honorable,
And shall honor Him, not doing your own ways,
Nor finding your own pleasure,
Nor speaking your own words,

The Sabbath will be kept in heaven, no mention of the first day being the Lords day of worship in heaven only the Sabbath from beginning Gen 2:1-3 to the end because its eternal. God’s will for us on earth is the same as it is in heaven

Isaiah 66:22“For as the new heavens and the new earth
Which I will make shall remain before Me,” says the Lord,
“So shall your descendants and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass
That from one New Moon to another,
And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.
-
The Sabbath is not the same as The Lord's day.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
the
-
The Sabbath is not the same as The Lord's day.
God only identified one holy day in scripture Exodus 20:8-11 Gen 2:1-3 Isaiah 58:13 all other days are working days Exodus 20:9, not holy or blessed or sanctified by God. If you have a scripture that identifies the first day as God’s holy day, the day He blessed and sanctified I am sure you would have shared. God never changed His holy Sabbath day, man did and we are warned about it Dan 7:25 and see it changed in history not through God’s Word just as predicted. God said the Sabbath will continue forever Isaiah 66:22-23. I place my faith in God and His Word because only God can sanctify us Eze 20:12, we cannot sanctify ourselves.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Can you quote my words where I claim that Rev 1 says it is the first day?
The way you placed your post seems like you were trying to make that argument, if it wasn’t then my apologies. :)

So are you saying the first day is not the Lord’s day? If not, do you have scripture that shows this as clear as how God identified His holy day in scripture- the Sabbath is My holy day, thus saith the Lord. Isaiah 58:13

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟488,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think the Lord's day was more likely the first day of the week than any other day of the week.
I would want a Text for it before I speak for our Heavenly Father, especially if it conflicts with the Words from His own mouth.

The Sabbath……My holy day Isaiah 58:13
The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God. Exodus 20:10
Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath. Mark 2:28

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟88,731.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would want a Text for it before I speak for our Heavenly Father, especially if it conflicts with the Words from His own mouth.
Can you detail this conflict step by step? I fail to see any contradiction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟281,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Later, the same John also mentioned "Lord's day" in Revelation 1:

More later, Didache:

It is the day of the resurrection which the early church chose for their regular assembly in lieu of Saturday.

Reactions: tonychanyt

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟725,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

More later, Didache:

Mark 2:28
Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Jesus kept the 7th day Sabbath (even in death He rested in the tomb)

The Didache is considered part of the group of second-generation Christian writings known as the Apostolic Fathers. The work was considered by some Church Fathers to be a part of the New Testament, while being rejected by others as spurious or non-canonical. In the end, it was not accepted into the New Testament canon.

Mary (and the others) kept the 7th day Sabbath even at the death of Jesus and afterwards.

The Lord's day in Revelation does not specify the first day of the week .... more than likely it was the 7th day.

Worshipping on the 7th day Sabbath continued after the death and resurrection of Jesus .... and is still continued today by
some.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟88,731.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 2:28
Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Jesus kept the 7th day Sabbath (even in death He rested in the tomb)

The Didache is considered part of the group of second-generation Christian writings known as the Apostolic Fathers. The work was considered by some Church Fathers to be a part of the New Testament, while being rejected by others as spurious or non-canonical. In the end, it was not accepted into the New Testament canon.

Mary (and the others) kept the 7th day Sabbath even at the death of Jesus and afterwards.

The Lord's day in Revelation does not specify the first day of the week .... more than likely it was the 7th day.

Worshipping on the 7th day Sabbath continued after the death and resurrection of Jesus .... and is still continued today by
some.
See Should we keep the Sabbaths? and follow up there :)

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟725,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Disclaimer: Please note that this OP/thread is NOT about the Sabbath. I assume that the Sabbath is on Saturday. See Should we keep the Sabbaths?.

More later, Didache:

It is about the Sabbath ... and that being the Lord's day .... not the 1st day and also about other sabbaths .... ceremonial sabbaths that were kept .... not the same as the 7th day Sabbath of the Lord. There is a forum about the 7th day Sabbath and probably be more appropriate to discuss this there.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟88,731.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is about the Sabbath ... and that being the Lord's day .... not the 1st day and also about other sabbaths .... ceremonial sabbaths that were kept .... not the same as the 7th day Sabbath of the Lord. There is a forum about the 7th day Sabbath and probably be more appropriate to discuss this there.
Let proposition P1 = Every Christian today is required to keep the weekly Saturday Sabbaths.
P2 = Not every Christian today is required to keep the weekly Saturday Sabbaths.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.