Was the choice of Mathias as Apostle 12 Kosher?

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was Mathias God's choice given that casting lots is a doubtful way to ascertain God's will ?

Was No. 12 actually Paul ???
Yes,casting lots was a method used in the OT to make choices. ...all the way back to the choice of the scapegoat (Leviticus 16:8). It was written into the LAW by God's command.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps Barnabus was one of those 70, that's possible, but if we stick to just scripture it's impossible to ascertain. I can see how church tradition may fit in there but from a strictly scripture standpoint Barnabus never met Jesus.

I could see how it'd be difficult to anoint Apostles with the church being so fractured in its current state.

One thing I'm very confident in is most of those who parade around now with the title of Apostle are decidedly not so.
We do know from Scripture alone that there were more apostles apart from the 12 plus Paul...Romans records this for us...Romans 16:7.
It is said that there are two categories of apostles: Apostles (capital A) appointed by Jesus as eye witnesses and apostles.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,899.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok so everyone is comfortable with casting lots as a way of determining God's will ???

Casting lots is prescribed several times in the Old Testament, such as:

And they cast lots for their duties, small and great, teacher and pupil alike. The first lot fell for Asaph to Joseph; the second to Gedaliah, to him and his brothers and his sons -- 1 Chronicles 25

After you have written descriptions of the seven parts of the land, bring them here to me and I will cast lots for you in the presence of the LORD our God. -- Joshua 18

Then Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats: one lot for the Lord and the other lot for the scapegoat. Leviticus 16

Basing their actions on the OT, the disciples had no reason to think there was anything wrong with it.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, good information.

What other means of determining a right course of action are accepted if covered in prayer?
At times reasoning was used...not simple human reasoning but reasoning based on knowledge of God. Abraham used such reasoning in determining to sacrifice his son...he reasoned God could raise him up again. Aaron did not eat the sin offering which was commanded because his sons had offered unauthorized fire/incense before the Lord and were put to death...Aaron's conscience dictated his actions as he explained to Moses. Therefore conscience and godly reasoning were used and justified by God.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, good information.

What other means of determining a right course of action are accepted if covered in prayer?
Another good passage about casting lots...
Proverbs 16:33:
The lot is cast into the lap, but it's every decision is from the LORD.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0