Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if the microcosm I experienced in another situation is at all analogous. I'm afraid it's too micro to apply. But there was a Mennonite community where I used to live, and they shopped almost exclusively from each other. They did open their store to the general public, but there was almost a two-layer thing there.

I wasn't Mennonite, but I was a struggling farmer. I asked the store owner at one time for "seconds" at a cheaper price, and he sold me things usually reserved for those in the community at a cheaper price. (And there was nothing wrong with the quality, in fact.) Another farmer was very generous with advice and information, and helped me in many ways, but I wasn't completely allowed/invited in.

But at any rate, that community benefited greatly, by all appearances, from their dynamics. They really depended on outsiders, almost a "tourist" kind of thing, and their reputation to command premium prices. But the internal workings of the community, from what I could gather, were extremely beneficial. The nicest farm in the area (MUCH nicer than the others) was a part of the community.

• Agree
Reactions: Timahani
Upvote 0

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Wow ... well thanks for the extra insight. I see the results, but NO IDEA what's really driving it.

My heart breaks for this.

I kind of wondered what happened with Tyler Perry. I have dearly loved some of the themes he brought up.

(Not to mention I see a few characters - I mentioned that we moved to a slum-type neighborhood for a while. I was often the only white child at my school. But I still remember with very great fondness some of the mothers and grandmothers of the other children. I can't say it was easy for me to make friends there, so it wasn't my peers who were my real friends, but I loved many of their mothers and grandmothers and aunts.)
I am mixed race Creole. my moms family is very fair and takes after the French creole side my father is very dark (native and black). Once the kids saw the white side of my family I was no longer considered black at all. I was the mixed kid or they would just say " but your grandma is white". Anyways, I think all kids go through that experience either you are too white, too black to tall, too short, too nerdy, too beautiful. Its sad that you had to experience that Anastasia. It is really ugly for people to have treated you that way, but maybe your story can help someone else :oldthumbsup:. My skin is honey dipped in Carmel and my hair is curly. I would have never thought in a million years that I was not a person of color but to those kids I was a white girl because my grandmother was white. (my grandma raised me so the kids would see her all the time at school) Lol!

ETA and I'm so glad I didn't offend. :)

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hey Paul my friend ,
So are u saying that the white community and the years of injustice in terms of unequal opporitunities in the job, housing, and educational components of the united states does NOT play a major role in the current condition of the black community? You dont think almost 400 or more years of oppression has not impacted them? Because if so I can educate you a bit on how those things can impact and has impacted some of my family members today. Let me know ☺

If someone needs a hand up, I'm all for it. But government does not do that well, because in its hands charity becomes entitlements, and the positive spirit of the effort is destroyed. Charity belongs in the private sector, among churches, organizations and individuals, who can apply it with discretion. Welfare has devastated the black community because it rewards negative behavior and fosters negative attitudes.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In a sense it is still around. It may not be legal and it may not be noted, but for example I am in the south, by the way and too young to remember those days, but think about it there are white and black churches, white and black funeral homes and even businesses and colleges that TEND to cater to and tend to focus on particular races.

I, for example attend a " white church" There is a "black church" literally right across the street. We have ONE black boy that recently joined our church and a few Hispanics, but it is for the most part white. I would not want to go to a black church not because I am racist and do not like black people, but because they TEND to have different customs than we do particularly as it relates to the length of their services.

Reactions: Timahani
Upvote 0

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In a sense it is still around. It may not be legal and it may not be noted, but for example I am in the south, by the way and too young to remember those days, but think about it there are white and black churches, white and black funeral homes and even businesses and colleges that TEND to cater to and tend to focus on particular races.

I, for example attend a " white church" There is a "black church" literally right across the street. We have ONE black boy that recently joined our church and a few Hispanics, but it is for the most part white. I would not want to go to a black church not because I am racist and do not like black people, but because they TEND to have different customs than we do particularly as it relates to the length of their services.

You made a great point. Society is still segregated. You can see it during lunch, on school campuses, amongst churches and in certain neighborhoods. I think some of the reasons why there are different churches like the black church or the white church is due to different styles of music and basic cultural differences in terms of how the church is ran.

Upvote 0

Timahani

Jan 6, 2012
United States-Arizona
✟43,111.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If someone needs a hand up, I'm all for it. But government does not do that well, because in its hands charity becomes entitlements, and the positive spirit of the effort is destroyed. Charity belongs in the private sector, among churches, organizations and individuals, who can apply it with discretion. Welfare has devastated the black community because it rewards negative behavior and fosters negative attitudes.

Yes, I agree with you Paul that you cannot blame white people for all your problems. Blacks must take responsibility for THEMSELVES. You are correct. But sometimes what stops meaningful dialogue between the white race and the black race is that white people automatically get offended when racism is brought up. Here is how racism effects future generation.

Now , I am young. I am in my 30's I have 2 tios one aunt and one uncle who cannot read and cannot sign their name. One worked for a white women in the 60's cooking and cleaning and the other was a farmer. During that time period blacks had below standard education and poverty was 10x that of their white counter parts. Now you tell me, how are you suppose to navigate society if you cannot read a book, magazine, you cant sign your name (all my aunt could do was scribble her name). She helped raise her children, her grandchildren, and some of her nieces. How do you think her lack of education effected her children when they came with homework assignments. My 15 year old cousin had to read everything to her. How marketable would she be in the employment world, if she could not spell, write , or read. My uncle asked my grandmother to ask me if I could help him read. We were really close, but he never asked me. I think they were so embarrassed and ashamed that pride got in the way of that.
My grandmother who takes after the French side of the family, but still considered herself colored would flip out in the car, or have a fit when my friends lived on certain sides of town. She felt that it was unsafe for "colored people" to be in that area, because in her day it was not allowed to travel past certain roads :doh:. Driving with her was a pain, and I was even forbidden to take the freeway because I might accidentally be killed for being in one of those areas. My friends would make fun of me all the time when I first learned to drive because my grandma was NOT having it, at all and she was serious. That's a little bit more light hearted however, racism does impact people in the HERE and IN THE NOW. It really HURTS me to he that my loved ones were so ashamed and could barely read or write in this media obsessed world. Do you not understand the impact of that? I think its logical.

My next point is that, yes there are some black people that take advantage of the welfare system. Those blacks however are either older, from the elderly generation who had to raise their grandchildren , who did not have a descent education due to the segregated unequal school system. or its the Lazy, drug addict, single mothers who prefer to drink , smoke , not and continue to have children. There is a small majority of people who do work, but their jobs are not sufficient. Again, I think its that wrap culture that is teaching these black youth, that drugs, hustling, single parenthood is good.

However please don't forget all the black universities that are graduating thousands of black students , even those with advance degrees and specialties. A recent study showed that at Harvard 94% of their black population graduated, Princeton 93% of those who are graduating are black, I can go on and on. I don't think all of these college graduates are looking for welfare, blaming whites, and wanting handout. I think it is mostly those of a lower socioeconomic and secular background. But please don't think Paul that we can eliminate white oppression and the effects on the black community. It aint pretty Lol, but its reality :oldthumbsup:.

Upvote 0