Was It Appropriate for Thomas to Address Yeshua as "My God"?

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 20:
24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!”
27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
The only rebuke from Jesus in that reply was for his lack of faith. That is he needed to see with his eyes before he would believe.

Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.
...and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

It is in Jesus that ALL things hold together. And when the present heavens wear out He will roll them up like a scroll.

All the fullness of the deity dwells in Jesus. He is the radiance of God glory and the exact representation of Gods being. He is all that the Father is. Mighty God and He and the Father are one.

That is the glory the Father has bestowed upon Jesus by His own authority. No one can take away from it.

Upvote 0

Mokelizer

Jun 26, 2020
Buffalo
✟7,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Could this be what you are making reference?
John 14:
If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.
8 Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”
9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.
11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
No reference is made to YHWH since Yeshua only referred to "The Father". He must have had some insight into the significance of that name that He was not willing to disclose.

How do you give a specific name to the Creator of everything? How do you encompass "I am who I am" into a singular title? After all He is everything, wouldn't it be almost a disservice to give a "name" to the Lord of everything, every emotion, experience and observable and not observable thing?

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a good question.
We know that Jesus is elohim and we know that the Father handed all authority on this earth over to His son. (John 3:35 and John 13:3) So I'd say yes, it was appropriate. Jesus is God the Son. Some might say he is co-regent.

A little word study needed?

Jesus alone is not Elohim.. That means "Gods." He is a part of Elohim (= plurality)

That plurality speaks of the Trinity when spoken in reference to God.

Now, Jesus is Jehovah. He is the Lord God. A member of the Trinity of Elohim.

Plurality!

Then God (Elohim) said, “Let us make mankind in our image,
in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea
and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild
animals, and over all the creatures that move along the
ground.”

grace and peace... :angel:

Upvote 0

Lady Chuza

Nov 6, 2009
✟12,420.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
A little word study needed?

Jesus alone is not Elohim.. That means "Gods." He is a part of Elohim (= plurality)

That plurality speaks of the Trinity when spoken in reference to God.

Now, Jesus is Jehovah. He is the Lord God. A member of the Trinity of Elohim.

Plurality!

Then God (Elohim) said, “Let us make mankind in our image,
in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea
and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild
animals, and over all the creatures that move along the
ground.”

grace and peace... :angel:
I never said that Jesus alone was elohim. I'm well aware of the meaning of the word.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never said that Jesus alone was elohim. I'm well aware of the meaning of the word.

How you worded it could have been said differently to avoid that impression.

This is a good question.
We know that Jesus is elohim and we know that the Father handed all authority on this earth over to His son. (John 3:35 and John 13:3) So I'd say yes, it was appropriate. Jesus is God the Son. Some might say he is co-regent.

More correct would have been.... We know that Jesus himself is Jehovah and we know that the Father handed all authority on this earth over to His son.

We can argue if you wish. Jesus is not a plurality. Jesus is not the Trinity. Yet, he is One, and one with the Plurality Trinity.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe if you studied the Law & Prophets you would read all kinds of stories of God intervening directly with human history - that’s not exclusive to the NT.
I study what God Himself said while He was physically here, and the words of those who He dealt with face to face. None of that in the OT is there?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I study what God Himself said while He was physically here, and the words of those who He dealt with face to face. None of that in the OT is there?

Actually a great deal of what Yahshua said while he was here came straight from the TaNaK. It was after all his Father's words that he was speaking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
John 20:
24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!”
27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Yup. Every statement in scripture referring to Jesus' divinity is additional evidence against other faiths like Islam, JW's, etc who will challenge us on this subject. Therefore it is important because it serves as scripturally supported.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually a great deal of what Yahshua said while he was here came straight from the TaNaK. It was after all his Father's words that he was speaking.
His own Words in fact. Yeah, I prefer going straight to the source.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God has spoken way more than just when the Messiah was walking around as a human being.

maybe you have one of those bibles that is New Testament only, that’s missing the first half?

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
God has spoken way more than just when the Messiah was walking around as a human being.

maybe you have one of those bibles that is New Testament only, that’s missing the first half?
For example,
All of David's Psalms are written under the Anointing of Messiah, The Spirit of Truth that is working in all His saints.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 20:

Yes, it was. John records this incident because from the very beginning to his gospel's end, he chooses incidents in Jesus' words and actions that testify to Jesus' deity as well as his humanity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God has spoken way more than just when the Messiah was walking around as a human being. maybe you have one of those bibles that is New Testament only, that’s missing the first half?
Yeah, the first part of the Bible is good stuff. Seems like a good many people feel like it's all they need. I think they're wrong. God showed up on site in person, and gave us the straight message, not filtered through other people. The OT is great history, but the the New Testament is the actual working document. In any and all differences, the NT takes precedence, end of. When in doubt, the NT is authoritative. That's the long and the short of it. If Moses and all the prophets said A and our Lord Christ says B, then the discussion is at an end and the answer is B. Any doctrine that directly conflicts with New Testament Scripture is a bogus doctrine, punto. I reckon that clarifies my position.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, the first part of the Bible is good stuff. Seems like a good many people feel like it's all they need. I think they're wrong. God showed up on site in person, and gave us the straight message, not filtered through other people. The OT is great history, but the the New Testament is the actual working document. In any and all differences, the NT takes precedence, end of. When in doubt, the NT is authoritative. That's the long and the short of it. If Moses and all the prophets said A and our Lord Christ says B, then the discussion is at an end and the answer is B. Any doctrine that directly conflicts with New Testament Scripture is a bogus doctrine, punto. I reckon that clarifies my position.
In many ways the OT explains the NT. The NT is filled with references to the OT.

Hebrews 4:12.....

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than
any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul
and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the
thoughts and intents of the heart."​

We read line after line preceding the conclusion drawn in Heb 4:12 (even chapter 3) that are filled with one OT reference after another. The OT has now become the NT in our application!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”...

Bible tells God dwells in Jesus and so was also there. That is why I think it was ok what Thomas said.

Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. …
John 14:10

Jesus is the temple of God.

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews therefore said, "Forty-six years was this temple in building, and will you raise it up in three days?" But he spoke of the temple of his body.
John 2:19-21

• Agree
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bible tells God dwells in Jesus and so was also there. That is why I think it was ok what Thomas said.

Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. …
John 14:10

Jesus is the temple of God.

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews therefore said, "Forty-six years was this temple in building, and will you raise it up in three days?" But he spoke of the temple of his body.
John 2:19-21

He not only has God indwelling Him. All that can be known of God - past, present, and future - is manifested in, and through Jesus Christ.

Not like us who have a little bit of God manifested (if we are faithful)... But, all that God is - is found not only in Christ. But, all that is God is coming from the Lord Jesus Christ to anywhere in the universe!

"For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form."

Col 2:9​

We are not to confuse the Jesus who was yet to be crucified with the resurrected Jesus. For He is no longer the same as He once had to become in order to die as a man in our place. Especially, not to be confused with the Christ who ascended to heaven to receive glorification by the Father.

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh.
Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now
we know Him thus no longer."
2 Cor 5:16​

We will not be standing before a man in heaven. But standing before God appearing in bodily form.

grace and peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He not only has God indwelling Him. All that can be known of God - past, present, and future - is manifested in, and through Jesus Christ.

Not like us who have a little bit of God manifested (if we are faithful)... ...

Sorry, I don’t think there is Biblical scriptures to support those claims. I think it is better to remain in these teachings.

But if the Spirit of him who raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised up Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8:11

Don't you know that you are a temple of God, and that God's Spirit lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Upvote 0