Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ravenscape said:
Are you positing some kind of completely internal transport mechanism between testes and ovaries? Is there any evidence of such?
Why not? There is an all female lizard species that seems more improbable than such a mechanism yet they exist.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
RoboMastodon said:
Those lizards reproduce by parthenogenesis: the giving birth of unfertilized eggs. There is no hermaphroditic mechanism involved.
Are you in any way showing that it is inconceivable for a hermaphrodite to self fertilize by an internal mechanism rather than by some sort of self sexual-intercourse?

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To any interested:

What if eggs are fertilized in the ovotestes? I think most Christians believe life begins at conception.

Ovotestes may present with either a fallopian tube or a vas deferens but usually not both. If a fallopian tube has a fimbriated end, the end is closed in most patients, perhaps contributing to the usual lack of fertility. While rare, fertility has been reported. Gonadal tumors also are rare but have been reported.

http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic1492.htm

o·vo·tes·tis n. pl. o·vo·tes·tes (-t
emacr.gif
z
lprime.gif
)
A hermaphroditic reproductive organ that produces both sperm and eggs, found in certain gastropods.

Upvote 0

Matthew777

Faith is the evidence of things unseen
Feb 8, 2005
Spokane, WA
✟6,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Kris_J said:
It seems from a quick scan of readings including the Bible, Adam was a hermaphrodite.

The answer to this question will not come from a "quick scan" but only the works of the church fathers and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Based on my studying of patristics, the best answer that I can give you is that God designed Adam and Eve with the same sexual organs a male and female would have; knowing that they would fall from grace and need them for reproduction.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Matthew777 said:
The answer to this question will not come from a "quick scan" but only the works of the church fathers and the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Based on my studying of patristics, the best answer that I can give you is that God designed Adam and Eve with the same sexual organs a male and female would have; knowing that they would fall from grace and need them for reproduction.
Or perhaps when men out there are having "cysts" removed from their testicles, they are actually removing the dead human fetus that was conceived in their testicles - in place of gonads, they may have ovotestes - the human reproductive organ of hermaphrodites.

http://jdm.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/19/1/51

Upvote 0

Lawry

Jan 12, 2021
Melbourne
✟7,877.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those lizards reproduce by parthenogenesis: the giving birth of unfertilized eggs. There is no hermaphroditic mechanism involved.
We have fish on the Great Barrier Reef that change genders, they can swap genders and are fully functional both directions, its quite weird.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,256.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
We have fish on the Great Barrier Reef that change genders, they can swap genders and are fully functional both directions, its quite weird.
Don't think any Mammals can though.

It seems unlikely that you could be functional as both male and female with all the conflicting hormones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lawry

Jan 12, 2021
Melbourne
✟7,877.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't think any Mammals can though.

It seems unlikely that you could be functional as both male and female with all the conflicting hormones.

According to scripture Adam also translated "Them" interestingly enough, was created perfect so I can only assume the mechanics were also perfect.

By the way, curious, what is a Atheist doing on a Christian page? (your welcome by the way, Christians shouldnt be afraid of those who think they are deluded)

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems from a quick scan of readings including the Bible, Adam was a hermaphrodite.

What do you think?

He was a male.

7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

What scripture suggests otherwise?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way, curious, what is a Atheist doing on a Christian page? (your welcome by the way, Christians shouldnt be afraid of those who think they are deluded)

This is the open section, plenty of atheists here.

Upvote 0

Lawry

Jan 12, 2021
Melbourne
✟7,877.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He was a male.

7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Might I encourage you to read some jewish thought on this, they might have an insight or 2 (just a hunch) into Hebrew

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,256.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
According to scripture Adam also translated "Them" interestingly enough, was created perfect so I can only assume the mechanics were also perfect.

You could also interpret any possible plurality as Adam being a representation of mankind, as some Christians do.

In your studies when people are translating the Hebrew word to "Them" is it because it's a non gendered singular pronoun, or that it's a collective pronoun? (I'm not certain they are the same thing in Hebrew as they are in English).

He was a male.

He seems unambiguously male in modern English Christian versions, but apparently it's less clear in context of original translations.

Some Jewish folklore has Adam and Lilith being created as one creature who were then split in two. But Lilith was rebellious and didn't want to be a wife, so God banished her and crafted Eve from Adam's rib.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lawry

Jan 12, 2021
Melbourne
✟7,877.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You could also interpret any possible plurality as Adam being a representation of mankind, as some Christians do.

In your studies when people are translating the Hebrew word to "Them" is it because it's a non gendered singular pronoun, or that it's a collective pronoun? (I'm not certain they are the same thing in Hebrew as they are in English).

He seems unambiguously male in modern English Christian versions, but apparently it's less clear in context of original translations.

Some Jewish folklore has Adam and Lilith being created as one creature who were then split in two. But Lilith was rebellious and didn't want to be a wife, so God banished her and crafted Eve from Adam's rib.

the problem with translation is that it isnt word for word, for instance my wife speaks speaks madarin and when we watch chinese shows with english sub titles its never a true translation.

So imagine Hebrew a very ancient, rich and complex language being translated into a young and rough language- english- sometimes it appears straight forward and sometimes its hard to fit and express the full meaning of a word.

Im no expert but when I read stuff that said Adam could be translated as "Them' - Male and Female he created Them- it did actually make sense to me. For if Adam was created as sexually only male, then how could he reproduce, therefore it made sense that he was created with both organs. My thoughts are based on the text, that Woman was created as God felt Adam had no suitable helper/companion, that he was unique in creation and alone, by creating another human and dividing the sexual reproductive process up, forced cooperation, love and trust (ideally).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My research shows that jewish thought on the matter would say yes.
...and we have a new winner of the prize for posting on an inactive thread.

Over 15 years in the case of this one.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟114,865.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 19
4 And He [Jesus] answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’
5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?
6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+19&version=NKJV

Upvote 0