Was Adam a Hermaphrodite?

RoboMastodon

Jul 6, 2004
✟8,340.00
Faith
Atheist
Kris_J said:
In that case you should stick to discussing easy threads like "how can a snake talk in Literal Biblical Creation?". ;)
My settings have 40 pages per post, this is still page one. If you would like me to address a specific post, please refer to it by it's number.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
gluadys said:
I can see that. But I think Gen. 2:23 is a much stronger argument:

"This one shall be called Woman for out of Man this one was taken."

It is interesting as well, that everywhere else in the chapter the individual created in Gen. 2:7 is called 'adam', a generic term for 'human'. But the word translated as "Man" in vs. 23 is 'ish' which refers specifically to human who is male as 'ishah' (Woman) refers to a human who is female.

Are we dealing with the Hebrew equivalent of the Greek story of the creation of humanity, which also suggests the first humans were hermaphrodites until they were divided by the gods into male and female halves?
It may be - & there seem to be quite a number of "creation legends" that suggest the hermaphrodite ancestor around the world too.

It would be interesting if the homophobia that much of the world has stems from our evolution from the less effective system of hermaphrodites that we evolved from. It would also be doubly interesting if we find that theistic creation legends have been describing this all along.

Upvote 0

RoboMastodon

Jul 6, 2004
✟8,340.00
Faith
Atheist
Alright here it goes...
Kris_J said:
What if it can be found that the Bible implies that Adam was a hermaphrodite - & if scientific evidence shows that the earliest primates were hermaphrodites?

Apparently Greek mythology speaks of first humans (hermaphrodite) being split into male & female by Zeus.
This is dumb.

I hope you find my refutation of your post is satisfactory.

In all seriousness, no mammals have been exclusively hermaphroditic in evolutionary history that I know of. I think you are taking genesis a little too literally. Most theologians, I would think, would agree with the statement that "God created man in His image" means spiritual image, I don't think very many people believe God is a bipedal primate.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
RoboMastodon said:
Alright here it goes...

This is dumb.
& you still sound like a frightened YEC. :D

I hope you find my refutation of your post is satisfactory.
In all seriousness, no mammals have been exclusively hermaphroditic in evolutionary history that I know of. I think you are taking genesis a little too literally. Most theologians, I would think, would agree with the statement that "God created man in His image" means spiritual image, I don't think very many people believe God is a bipedal primate.
If you read my profile it says "theistic evolution". Now does the world exist as a black & white? nope. That means that there may be an avenue between Literal Biblical Creation & Atheistic Evolution - ie "Theistic Evolution". This is one such possible path for Theistic Evolution that you seem to be too frighted to even consider.

According to one Jewish Rabbi, Adam is a hermaphrodite.
http://www.freeessays.cc/db/39/pnl53.shtml

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Commentary (Hermaphrodite polar bears)

There appear to be two distinct positions in the scientific community right now about the appearance of hermaphroditic polar bears. Bruce Bagemihl and his camp believe that the bears are part of a long tradition of transgender bears (not just polar bears) and that indigenous peoples have long had myths and stories about the "Bear Mother." In his view, therefore, the newest scientific discoveries are simply confirming something that native peoples have long known--that homosexuality and transgender characteristics exist in the natural world, that they are not "against nature." In the other camp, the scientists who made the recent discoveries in Svalbard, Norway, prefer to see the hermaphroditic polar bears as evidence of a world out of balance, as evidence that human pollutants are radically altering the bears' "natural" condition.What do you think?

http://www.artistandpolarbear.com/Transgender.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Kris_J said:
It may be - & there seem to be quite a number of "creation legends" that suggest the hermaphrodite ancestor around the world too.

It would be interesting if the homophobia that much of the world has stems from our evolution from the less effective system of hermaphrodites that we evolved from. It would also be doubly interesting if we find that theistic creation legends have been describing this all along.

Of course the really interesting thing is that we may be restored to our original hermaphrodite condition in heaven. Jesus does say that in heaven there is neither marriage nor giving in marriage.

To me the myth of original hermaphroditism speaks of the unity and equality of male and female.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
gluadys said:
Of course the really interesting thing is that we may be restored to our original hermaphrodite condition in heaven. Jesus does say that in heaven there is neither marriage nor giving in marriage.

To me the myth of original hermaphroditism speaks of the unity and equality of male and female.
Speaking of hermaphrodites, how can a virgin give birth?

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Its amazing how the Gnostic gospels speaks on this topic too.

Gospel of Thomas (Gnostic)

22 Jesus saw some babies nursing. He said to his disciples, "These nursing babies are like those who enter the kingdom."

They said to him, "Then shall we enter the kingdom as babies?" Jesus said to them, "When you make the two into one, and when you make the inner like the outer and the outer like the inner, and the upper like the lower, and when you make male and female into a single one, so that the male will not be male nor the female be female, when you make eyes in place of an eye, a hand in place of a hand, a foot in place of a foot, an image in place of an image, then you will enter [the kingdom]."
http://reluctant-messenger.com/gospel-thomas-Stephen_Patterson.htm

& Islam's sign of Armageddon:

Men will imitate women; and Women will imitate men. (Allama Jalaluddin Suyuti, Durre-Mansoor)

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Christian Bible -Revelations

A Vision of the Son of Man

9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. 10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, 11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; 13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

-----
pap[size=-1]1[/size] n.
  1. Midland U.S. A teat or nipple.
  2. Something resembling a nipple.
Blessed [is] the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. But he said, Yea rather, blessed [are] they that hear the word of God, and keep it. Luke 11:27,28

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ravenscape said:
I have no idea if human hermaphrodite self insemination is physically possible. But if it IS possible, the individual would no longer qualify as a virgin.
Are you suggesting that intercourse is necessarily the only way for the hermaphrodite self to inseminate the self?

Upvote 0

ravenscape

Free Crazy Liz
Dec 19, 2004
Norton's Empire
✟58,184.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Kris_J said:
Are you suggesting that intercourse is necessarily the only way for the hermaphrodite self to inseminate the self?

Any other form of self insemination would be artificial, no? You posited self insemination as a third way a virgin could become pregnant, adding to the two ways Glaudys suggested: artificial insemination and cloning.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ravenscape said:
Any other form of self insemination would be artificial, no? You posited self insemination as a third way a virgin could become pregnant, adding to the two ways Glaudys suggested: artificial insemination and cloning.
I doubt the shortest way from the testes to the ovaries is via external appendages of the hermaphrodite. It may be the external tools of the hermaphrodite are merely to have the option of inseminating/be inseminated by monogenders.

Upvote 0