Jul 22, 2005
BBQ Heaven: Texas, USA
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ozymandius said:
Highly ironic comming from someone who belives in talking donkeys and magical, 2000 year old carpenters. Why should it be any more crazy to suggest adam was a hermaphrodite or whatever, considering he didnt exist, at least not in a literal sense?
Because I actually have a SOURCE for my beliefs! That's why. There is no source that even remotely suggests that Adam was a hermaphrodite. The idea is taken out of thin air and is totally ridiculous.

But I think the OP knows this. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Ozymandius

May 15, 2005
✟1,237.00
Faith
Atheist
SackLunch said:
Because I actually have a SOURCE for my beliefs! That's why. There is no source that even remotely suggests that Adam was a hermaphrodite. The idea is taken out of thin air and is totally ridiculous.

All the other people to ever believe in any god that ever existed had a source for their beliefs. You are no different.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Kris_J said:
It seems from a quick scan of readings including the Bible, Adam was a hermaphrodite.

What do you think?
Umm...I'd hate to be bothersome, but would you mind explaining how you came to this conclusion and what parts of the Bible you scanned?

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hydra009 said:
Umm...I'd hate to be bothersome, but would you mind explaining how you came to this conclusion and what parts of the Bible you scanned?
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply,...

Upvote 0

RoboMastodon

Jul 6, 2004
✟8,340.00
Faith
Atheist
Kris_J said:
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply,...
Always thought "image" was supposed to mean "spiritual image". Or do you think God is a bipedal primate?

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Kris_J said:

This is before God created "Eve" - so how were the Adam(s) to multiply?
You know about the whole "adam" and "adamah" pun, right?

A hebrew scholar could do a much better job, but here's the jist:

ADAM - אדם

ADAMAH (ground) - אדםה

[Bible]Genesis 2:7[/Bible]

It can also be read: And the LORD God formed ADAM out of the ADAMAH. Get the dual meaning?

---

Anyway, the point is a lot is lost in the translation, and looking at a word used both as mankind in general and a single individual in a poetic fashion for a biological description misses the point of the passage.

And just to be clear, you're aware of the whole Documentary Hypothesis thing and the Priestly Source of the multiple occurances of "be fruitful and mutilply" in Genesis?

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kris_J said:
I don't think this conclusion is necessary. As an allegorical "history" intended to impart morals and to counter polytheistic religions prevailant in the culture, Genesis isn't intended to be either a literal account, nor was it intended to portray a literal timeline.

Upvote 0

Talcos Stormweaver

Fighter of Ignorance!
Aug 13, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟890.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think this conclusion is necessary. As an allegorical "history" intended to impart morals and to counter polytheistic religions prevailant in the culture, Genesis isn't intended to be either a literal account, nor was it intended to portray a literal timeline.

Either way, if Adam was a hermaphrodite, that would have serious implications. I mean, I could never look at myself in the mirror again! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
RoboMastodon said:
Always thought "image" was supposed to mean "spiritual image". Or do you think God is a bipedal primate?
What if it can be found that the Bible implies that Adam was a hermaphrodite - & if scientific evidence shows that the earliest primates were hermaphrodites?

Apparently Greek mythology speaks of first humans (hermaphrodite) being split into male & female by Zeus.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
SackLunch said:

Why is it ridiculous? Do you believe that in the literal Creation, all animals, plants & humans were only either male or female?

Upvote 0

madarab

Nov 15, 2002
Visit site
✟15,835.00
Faith
Atheist
Kris_J, it would be very surprising (and likely damaging to the theory of evolution) if early primates acquired the trait of normally being hermaphrodites well after the time and cladistic catagorization where distinct sexual differentiation was acquired and then for every currently living primate to have lost it.

Upvote 0

Kris_J

Apr 13, 2004
✟20,058.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
madarab said:
Kris_J, it would be very surprising (and likely damaging to the theory of evolution) if early primates acquired the trait of normally being hermaphrodites well after the time and cladistic catagorization where distinct sexual differentiation was acquired and then for every currently living primate to have lost it.
Hermaphrodites still exist today in both humans & primates, though not very common. Other animal species however can be hermaphrodites, & some are hermaphrodites/one gender at one stage in life & evolve to another gender later in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Kris_J said:

I can see that. But I think Gen. 2:23 is a much stronger argument:

"This one shall be called Woman for out of Man this one was taken."

It is interesting as well, that everywhere else in the chapter the individual created in Gen. 2:7 is called 'adam', a generic term for 'human'. But the word translated as "Man" in vs. 23 is 'ish' which refers specifically to human who is male as 'ishah' (Woman) refers to a human who is female.

Are we dealing with the Hebrew equivalent of the Greek story of the creation of humanity, which also suggests the first humans were hermaphrodites until they were divided by the gods into male and female halves?

Upvote 0