Warren Harvard Law's "first women of color" tenured faculty member???

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Elizabeth Warren Was Celebrated as ‘First Woman of Color’ at Harvard Law

John Nolte 16 October 2018

In 1993, the Harvard Crimson reported that the “Law School faculty voted yesterday to offer a tenured position to Visiting Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren.”

The article goes on to celebrate that this hiring “marks an advance in the student and faculty effort to improve faculty diversity[.]”

Warren began teaching at Harvard in 1995. Then…

Elizabeth Warren Was Celebrated as 'First Woman of Color' at Harvard Law | Breitbart

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Elizabeth Warren Was Celebrated as ‘First Woman of Color’ at Harvard Law

John Nolte 16 October 2018

In 1993, the Harvard Crimson reported that the “Law School faculty voted yesterday to offer a tenured position to Visiting Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren.”

The article goes on to celebrate that this hiring “marks an advance in the student and faculty effort to improve faculty diversity[.]”

Warren began teaching at Harvard in 1995. Then…

Elizabeth Warren Was Celebrated as 'First Woman of Color' at Harvard Law | Breitbart

Pretty strange. Kind of an emperor's new clothes type of scenario.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As someone with a Native American heritage I say that nothing Elizabeth Warren has done has been offensive or inappropriate. Way to much has been made over an inconsequential detail of her heritage. Calling her Pocahontas and posing with a dime store Indian to mock her the way Jason Chaffetz has done are the real inappropriate and racist actions here.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Also I wouldn't use Breitbart as a source as it is not a reputable news site. Much of their reporting is heavily biased towards the right and often false.

Breitbart - Media Bias/Fact Check

Editor Admits Breitbart Publishes Fake News
If it weren't for Breitbart, Drudge report, Fox news etc, we wouldn't get a great deal of reporting as the media is dominated by The Left. The main stream media tends to emphasize stories that fit their agenda and ignore stories that don't. In America most so called journalists are (D)'s and (I)'s.

Warren may not bother you because you are perhaps politically aligned with her, but it dose bother other Native Americans.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Also I wouldn't use Breitbart as a source as it is not a reputable news site. Much of their reporting is heavily biased towards the right and often false.

Breitbart - Media Bias/Fact Check

Editor Admits Breitbart Publishes Fake News
... yes, Breitbart is not greatly truthful in the linked article.

Here is the Harvard Crimson article cited by Breitbart: https://mk0elizabethwarh5ore.kinsta...oman-Prof-The-Harvard-Crimson-6-Feb.-1993.pdf

One might notice that Warren was celebrated as a woman ... not because of native American ancestry.

• Agree
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,263.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Way to much has been made over an inconsequential detail of her heritage.
I agree. She made way too much of it. As did Harvard. I have much more Indian blood than she does (1/32) and it never once in my life occurred to me to call myself an Indian or brag about it.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree. She made way too much of it. As did Harvard. I have much more Indian blood than she does (1/32) and it never once in my life occurred to me to call myself an Indian or brag about it.
She isn't the one who made it an issue nor did she brag. This entire "controversy" was started by Republicans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
... yes, Breitbart is not greatly truthful in the linked article.

Here is the Harvard Crimson article cited by Breitbart: https://mk0elizabethwarh5ore.kinsta...oman-Prof-The-Harvard-Crimson-6-Feb.-1993.pdf

One might notice that Warren was celebrated as a woman ... not because of native American ancestry.
It was in the 1996 linked article that Warrens Native American ancestry was cited not the 1993

"The fact that there never have been Asian Americans, Native Americans, gays, lesbians, Latinos, Latinas and women of color [on the faculty] is a subject of major concern," said Wilkins, who is black.

Of 71 current Law School professors and assistant professors, 11 are women, five are black, one is Native American and one is Hispanic, said Mike Chmura, spokesperson for the Law School.

Although the conventional wisdom among students and faculty is that the Law School faculty includes no minority women, Chmura said Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren is Native American."

Survey: Diversity Lacking At HLS | News | The Harvard Crimson

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's amazing how many Conservatives on here are half-black, dated a Hispanic person or have Native American ancestry.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Imagine if it was Trump who claimed Native American ancestry with the same DNA percentage as Warren is now known to have. They media and Democrats would have a field day calling him an offensive, racist liar who used minorities to advance himself. We wouldn't see any of this support or "it doesn't matter" nonsense. And they know it.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It was in the 1996 linked article that Warrens Native American ancestry was cited not the 1993

"The fact that there never have been Asian Americans, Native Americans, gays, lesbians, Latinos, Latinas and women of color [on the faculty] is a subject of major concern," said Wilkins, who is black.

Of 71 current Law School professors and assistant professors, 11 are women, five are black, one is Native American and one is Hispanic, said Mike Chmura, spokesperson for the Law School.

Although the conventional wisdom among students and faculty is that the Law School faculty includes no minority women, Chmura said Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren is Native American."

Survey: Diversity Lacking At HLS | News | The Harvard Crimson
Breitbart plays the same game as the mainstream media. The individual facts are often correct but those are put together in such a way as to often be seriously misleading.

Here's a look at the timetable of events around Elizabeth Warren and Harvard ... which includes perhaps all the references provided by Breitbart ... but the overall conclusions are significantly different.

Contemporary accounts suggest that Elizabeth Warren’s ancestry played no role in her hiring at Harvard | Blue Mass Group

Neither Breitbart nor BMG come to a conclusion which is supported by facts. That both use the same "facts" to support their different erroneous conclusions is a pretty good indicator that the facts in evidence simply don't support a definitive conclusion regarding Elizabeth Warren and Harvard.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe that her native American ancestry claims played no part in her initially getting on Harvard's faculty and then later receiving tenure. The only denials I've heard voiced from Harvard were that race was not discussed during her tenure consideration ... not that race played no part in her initial hiring. By the time of her tenure, her "native American" ancestry was so well-known that there was no reason for the committee to overtly consider that. It could have been implicit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Breitbart plays the same game as the mainstream media. The individual facts are often correct but those are put together in such a way as to often be seriously misleading.

Here's a look at the timetable of events around Elizabeth Warren and Harvard ... which includes perhaps all the references provided by Breitbart ... but the overall conclusions are significantly different.

Contemporary accounts suggest that Elizabeth Warren’s ancestry played no role in her hiring at Harvard | Blue Mass Group

Neither Breitbart nor BMG come to a conclusion which is supported by facts. That both use the same "facts" to support their different erroneous conclusions is a pretty good indicator that the facts in evidence simply don't support a definitive conclusion regarding Elizabeth Warren and Harvard.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe that her native American ancestry claims played no part in her initially getting on Harvard's faculty and then later receiving tenure. The only denials I've heard voiced from Harvard were that race was not discussed during her tenure consideration ... not that race played no part in her initial hiring. By the time of her tenure, her "native American" ancestry was so well-known that there was no reason for the committee to overtly consider that. It could have been implicit.

This issue was first brought to light …."In April 2012, The Boston Globe sparked a campaign controversy by reporting that from 1986 to 1995 Warren had listed herself as a racial minority in the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) Directory of Law Teachers.[33] Harvard Law School had identified Warren as a "woman of color" in response to criticisms about a lack of faculty diversity.[34][35] Scott Brown, her Republican opponent in the Senate race, accused Warren of fabricating Native American heritage to gain advantage in the job market."

Listing herself as a "minority" as early as 1986 in addition to a being a women would have given Warren an advantage over others as a "box to check" for interested employers.

Elizabeth Warren - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Imagine if it was Trump who claimed Native American ancestry with the same DNA percentage as Warren is now known to have. They media and Democrats would have a field day calling him an offensive, racist liar who used minorities to advance himself. We wouldn't see any of this support or "it doesn't matter" nonsense. And they know it.

Isn't that ironic... I said just the other day on this very site that if Trump claimed even the slightest amount of NDN heritage that his supporters would fierecly back him up and defend him.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,263.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
She isn't the one who made it an issue nor did she brag. This entire "controversy" was started by Republicans.
Dude. No one would have ever known she claimed to be Indian if she hadn't claimed to be Indian. And got lauded for it by Harvard.

Upvote 0