Mar 24, 2005
Long Island, NY
Visit site
✟18,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I never read the book but I just came back from the theatre and it is indeed a summer blockbuster. I liked it A LOT. Special effects and sound design are amazing, in the theatre I saw it, at several points during the movie, my chest rumbled from the deep bass from the sound. :D

Tom and Dakota are very convincing as father and daughter, they both do a great job acting wise. It all seems very realistic and desperate, just like how you'd feel if you were there. There is constant tension throughout to keep you gripped, especially between Tom and the son.

I'll be taking my fiancee to see this with me whether she likes it or not. :D

Upvote 0

goscott4

Jun 29, 2005
✟112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi...Just got back from the movie. I had a really big debate with myself as to weather or not I was going to see it,because of the possible language violations.

YES, low and below, not 5 minutes into the movie, TC takes the Lord's name in vain.

I counted at least three time this happened, it really sears my soul when I hear this.

Anyhow, I was caught in the dust cloud during 9/11/2001, and TC get's alien dust on him during the first few scenes in the movie, it really brought a chill to me in remembering my own experience, because TC has human remains on him in the dust, and I breath human remains on 911.

Even more chilling DF at one point ask's "are we alive", and it's the same question I had to ask myself on 911 after I came out of the dust cloud.

OK! The the special effect's are easily some of the most incredible created in any movie.

The film is not really "scary" per-se, it's JUST about mans will to survive.

At TC's lowest point, he sings a "Beach-Boy's" song, "Lil-Duce Coop."

TC commit's the murder of a man who offered him shelter where there was none to be found anywhere.

Bottom line: this movie is about man's will to survive WITHOUT God's help.

Glad I saw it, BUT, it is not a Christian movie......

Upvote 0

Dizzy

Pastor of Muppets
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago,IL
✟15,432.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

I thought the movie was just okay... I was expecting more outta the movie going in and feeling unsatisfied coming out due to the anticipation... The movie could've used a different variety of alien technology then the same constant machines...Could've thrown in some space ships invading the planet... The plot is the same from the book, the ending is the same... I give it a 3 outta 5... I'd wait and buy it on DVD so you can watch it again and then decide if you really thought it was all that great, instead of wasting 9 bucks in a movie theatre.... All in all theres nothing great about it to rush in and theatres and watch it...

Upvote 0

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
I hated it quite frankly. Dakota Fanning acts the part of an annoying little whiney girl very well, to the point where you wanted to get up and strangle her. The plotholes are glaring in their obviousness. I mean... 2 hand grenades? Seriously... :p And how did the kid get to Boston... tch... :p

waste of money - both production, and actually me seeing it... Seriously, Tom Cruise should get an acting double. :p

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have a funny feeling I am going to dislike this film , I hope not , but I have seen the trailers and they look great , but also lacking something........ can't put my finger on it , but I doubt this film is going to be any near as good as the new Batman movie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Br0k3n

I DOWNLOADED THE INTERNET!!!
Apr 19, 2005
Iowa
Visit site
✟8,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I saw the film and thought it was really good. Not a classic by any means...but a good flick. I thought Cruise and Fanning were excellent. Tim Robbins was good too in his little part. I would recommend the flick. Go in with an open mind and enjoy it for what it is. Great effects in my eyes. Just wish you could have seen more of the battles.

Upvote 0

General_Peanut

Randy Torres, You're My Hero
Apr 21, 2005
Bonner Springs, KS
Visit site
✟16,968.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
lI just saw it and thought is was really good.

Side note : when we saw it, it really nice weather apparentley it stormed during the movie and the power went out of theatre in the middle of the movie (if you've seen it you know how weird it was) but it made the whole movie seem more real.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A masterpiece socially rejected. Or something close to that. My immediate rating on IMDB.com was a 9 -- but it would closer to a 9.45 or so. By far the darkest movie I have seen in a while, and with such precision and detail -- so beautiful, so haunting. Special effects were incomparable, but just the general vibe of the movie was worth seeing. A hypnotic experience. See it for Tim Robbins' 20 minute appearance -- creepy as heck!

*shudder*

The man can do everything. Oh, and so can Cruise and Spielberg. :)

Upvote 0

DaBronx

Mar 10, 2005
New Jersey
✟16,289.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
goscott4 said:
Hi...Just got back from the movie. I had a really big debate with myself as to weather or not I was going to see it,because of the possible language violations.

YES, low and below, not 5 minutes into the movie, TC takes the Lord's name in vain.

I counted at least three time this happened, it really sears my soul when I hear this.

Anyhow, I was caught in the dust cloud during 9/11/2001, and TC get's alien dust on him during the first few scenes in the movie, it really brought a chill to me in remembering my own experience, because TC has human remains on him in the dust, and I breath human remains on 911.

Even more chilling DF at one point ask's "are we alive", and it's the same question I had to ask myself on 911 after I came out of the dust cloud.

OK! The the special effect's are easily some of the most incredible created in any movie.

TC commit's the murder of a man who offered him shelter where there was none to be found anywhere.

First of all let me say I'm sorry you had to endure all of that on 9/11...I, too, was in the city that day and I just want to say thank God you were a Christian going through it I'm sure it helped (I was not saved at the time.)

OK
My son saw the movie and said that the aliens killed people by zapping them and leaving just their clothes behind (and some dust) I found it interesting that this is the way the invasion was depicted...

Sort of lends some creedence to some people's idea that when WE leave this planet this is what people are going to think: that aliens took us...interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Br0k3n

I DOWNLOADED THE INTERNET!!!
Apr 19, 2005
Iowa
Visit site
✟8,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
loveliving said:
i am dying to see it-- havent seen it yet-- I just think that little Dakota Fanning is the cutest little thing ever...she is one of those 30 yr old women trapped in a little girl's body! she seems so grown up yet so young!

Truly! She does a great job in this as well!

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dakota Fanning worked for this movie, and this was a relief (sort of a balance from the slight dissapointment that slowly faded upon realizing Tim Robbins' character wasn't what the book completely portrayed him as), because I feared she would be the emotional security that most bad directors use to grasp superficial audiences. But there is another kid who I think is somewhat superfluous, though there is a great scene with he and Tom Cruise.

Off to see it again tonight. The addiction intensifies!

Upvote 0

MetalBlade

Defender of the Faith
Feb 23, 2003
Bowling Green, Ohio
Visit site
✟2,632.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I hope to see it sometime next week in the morning, or the week there after, since I work nights right now. I still need to see Star Wars again, cause my mom wants me to go with her to see it. Plus FF is coming out soon! w00t w00t!

I heard Tom is really bad in it, and the little girl takes away the gold (acting wise). Oh and it is inaccurate from the book, at least in one perspective. The story (book) is held in England, the movie is in the US me thinks.

Upvote 0

fieldlily

God heals and restores!
Mar 7, 2005
USA
✟26,824.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
goscott4 said:

Great summary. Thanks...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0