Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Different people come closer to Christ in different ways. If the Walk To Emmaus was not for you, and did not draw you closer to Christ then there is no reason to try and repeat it - or feel bad that it did not work for you. I can say that from what I have read about it the Walk would absolutely NOT be something I would be comfortable with.

If people try and make you "feel it" or fell bad for not being touched, or feel as if you are not close enough to God because you are not "moving in the Spirit" then you do not need that in your life. This is one of the reasons I do not go to modern worship and dislike most non-denominational style worship. It seems like so much is just for show, or that if you are not raising your hands and singing then you are not really worshiping "in the Spirit" or "letting the Spirit guide you". A liturgical style worship with an organ and beautiful coir brings me closer to God than a modern band with drums and guitars.

Find what brings you closer to Christ and go towards that. Maybe it is a weekend of silent prayer and contemplation much as many lay Catholics or monks do. Maybe it is with a service that you can preform for your church. Maybe it is just being in nature and walking around the forest while praying. Whatever it might be, find it and use that to get closer to Christ, not be judged by other people's views on what should be working for you.
You know, crazy as it may sound I like to fish and hunt. I don't think I have ever felt closer to my creator, than when I am sitting in a tree stand deep in the woods or out on my Jon boat on the river. Those people at the walk thought they could force me to see Jesus I guess. It just didn't work for me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am with you there, being out in the wilderness is a transforming experience. As we read in the Bible, our Father will run to us when we come looking, we do not have to force the experience.

• Agree
Reactions: ForrestM
Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well, I just want to thank everyone for your comments. I left the walk feeling a bit guilty because it was not good for me. I just don't see everything thru rose colored glasses all the time. But I do feel better now. I guess I am not the only one who found the walk to emmaus kind of strange.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Your Attention Please!
Move it move it thread.jpg

This thread is a better fit for Christian Advice so
it is being moved to that forum.​

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I am a retired pastor. About half the people in my church did "the Walk" and most would say it was a life-changing experience for them. The impact was such that they meet monthly as a group to celebrate their joyful experience on the Walk and to plan the recruitment of others in my and other nearby churches. This recruitment has been successful with electrifying results. Many Walk graduates are so moved that, at considerable financial cost to themselves, they volunteer on new Walks, even maintaining all-night prayer vigils and work details.

That said, the Walk has a few flaws. Any believer can attend a walk and they know nothing about the experience that awaits them. That secrecy is conducive to awesome pleasant surprises, but it also draws in people like the OP author who are not temperamentally suited to the Walk. There is constant turnover in the leadership teams conducting these Walks and the inexperience of some teams can detract from the spiritual experience of some "pilgrims." The spiritual maturity of the "pilgrims" can also be factor in the quality of the sharing.

As an ex-theology professor and current pastor, my own experience of the Walk was a bit of a let-down, but I must concede that all the others on my Walk seemed deeply moved and even transformed and it was a joy to observe these transformations unfolding in front of my eyes.

Of the legion volunteers on future Walks, the major complaints I've heard are these: they feel that Walk volunteers tend to be too evangelical and too theologically conservative (e. g. on gay marriage).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well I guess I just don't get it. I really don't see how, what I went though, could cause any miraculous transformations. It was exhausting..... 14 hours straight of talks and those guys beating on guitars was too much to even take in. The candlelight service was very cultish..... Chanting a 2 line song over and over again, in the dark, while 200 people walked by us, smiling in our faces. One of the instructor's told me to look into all their faces because I might see Jesus. It was just weird!! I know some of the people that walked by me and I never hear from any of them. So what did it all prove? That they love me but they still don't have time for me? It really didn't mean anything. And now I am invited to come to their private meetings.... because you are only invited if you did the walk. It makes me wonder if they will be messing with snakes at the next meeting. And what was with the single clap when someone got up and said what table they sat at? It was all very secretive, strange and cult like. Not like any Christian gathering I have ever been to before. The only really good part was the letters from my family... that was nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know I probably sound like I am being too critical to you and I don't really mean to be. I know that they meant well. I just didn't see anything there that seemed to be life changing. Some of the talks were pretty good. Some of the talks were designed to make us cry like babies. I just don't be see how playing with people's emotions is life changing or even right. I don't care to have people play with my mind..... Christian or otherwise. But I do apologise for being so hard on you.

Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know I probably sound like I am being too critical to you and I don't really mean to be. I know that they meant well. I just didn't see anything there that seemed to be life changing. Some of the talks were pretty good. Some of the talks were designed to make us cry like babies. I just don't be see how playing with people's emotions is life changing or even right. I don't care to have people play with my mind..... Christian or otherwise. But I do apologise for being so hard on you.
They also told us that the walk was like what heaven is going to be like. I seriously doubt they, or anybody else on this earth knows what heaven is going to be like. I guess I am too old for that one...lol. I have found nobody in this world who knows much as they try to make out.

Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Sounds different that's for sure.
It was different and a little bit disturbing for me. It did make me think though.....lol. I still don't know how I feel about the whole thing. I came away from it wondering if I can really be a Christian..... at least according to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
What I like about God is He takes us as we are, He doesn't try to make us something we are not, and He loves us unconditionally and we are safe in that. Its great you're processing it all by the way.

You can definitely be a Christian, don't have to be an Emmaus walker to be a Christian thankfully or i couldnt be one as havent done that walk before! :)

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Forest,

From your description, I'm confident that you weren't subjected to the new and improved version of the Walk that I attended. Also, as I mentioned, there is a routine turnover in Walk leadership that has the unfortunate consequence of creating inconsistency in the quality and maturity of the leadership team--and that can make all the difference. But this post has a different purpose than to defend the Walk. You seem reluctant to share your personal life with other believers. Is your reluctance only around strangers?

From the days of John Wesley to the early 1900s, you had to attend a weekly "class" to be a Methodist. In these classes, among other things, believers would do their best to share the outer and inner state of their soul; i. e., they would share their high and low points during the preceding week and would then make themselves vulnerable by sharing the patterns of their thought life. The result? A great Methodist revival! For example, in 1870 40% of all Americans were Methodists! (Notice that I didn't say 40% of all American Christians were Methodists.)

Then at the turn of the century, many Methodists were no longer willing to air their dirty linen in small groups. So Methodism made class meetings optional and in effect abolished them. The result? A slow, steady decline in American Methodism that continues today.

Jesus' brother James says: "Confess your sins to one another and pray for one another that you may be healed (James 5:16)." He makes it clear that it is not good enough just to confess your sins to God. Confession of sin can be routine and superficial. When we make ourselves vulnerable and accountable to each other, repentance is far more likely to be truly transforming. Thus, Paul offers this instruction in Galatians 6:1-2:

"Brothers, if any one is detected in a transgression, you who have received the Spirit should restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness. Take care that you yourselves are not tempted. Bear one another's burdens and in this way fulfill the law of Christ."

Forest, ask yourself whether you satisfy the requirements of these 2 basic texts.

As a pastor, I arranged for our church to sponsor an interchurch weekly gathering to watch a series of excellent videos on the basics of the Christian life. Afterwards, these believers from different churches wanted to form an interchurch prayer group. In our first meeting, one lady confessed the sins of her youth with great emotion and sincerity. A lady from another church took her aside and rebuked her for airing her dirty linen in public lie that. By doing so, she effectively killed that prayer group.

Upvote 0

June July

May 26, 2017
Post Falls, Idaho
✟9,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I went on a Walk a few years ago - I also had the word "cult" come to my mind but there's no compulsion to participate in the organization just because we've been on a Walk. I enjoyed many aspects of the weekend. There were a few things that didn't appeal to me... but overall, the Walk was fine as a learning experience. Now we know what it is! I'll bet most people who go there can pick out some peak experiences and some not so much fun. Let's just be glad it is only one weekend of our lives unless we plan to work at walks - something I haven't done except once, setting up for the ending event. I really don't like the group sleeping arrangements so I'm not enthusiastic about being one of the workers for that reason. If I could work then go sleep at a hotel in a private room, I might like it more... but that's just not the way it is set up.. Unlike some, I really loved the candles.

Upvote 0

ForrestM

May 23, 2017
Richmond
✟8,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I went on a Walk a few years ago - I also had the word "cult" come to my mind but there's no compulsion to participate in the organization just because we've been on a Walk. I enjoyed many aspects of the weekend. There were a few things that didn't appeal to me... but overall, the Walk was fine as a learning experience. Now we know what it is! I'll bet most people who go there can pick out some peak experiences and some not so much fun. Let's just be glad it is only one weekend of our lives unless we plan to work at walks - something I haven't done except once, setting up for the ending event. I really don't like the group sleeping arrangements so I'm not enthusiastic about being one of the workers for that reason. If I could work then go sleep at a hotel in a private room, I might like it more... but that's just not the way it is set up.. Unlike some, I really loved the candles.
I am like you. I have mixed feelings about the whole weekend. I did not like being pressured for some kind of response. I am a very shy, private person. My relationship with God is very personal and not something to be toyed with. I guess I should not be like that though. I am trying to figure out a way to open up more. Maybe it is something I can work on. As far as the sleeping arrangements went, it was real nice. We were at a missionary training center. The rooms where just like hotel rooms and I had one room mate. There was lots of food. The accommodations were real nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anybody here been on the Walk to Emmaus? I went last weekend. I did not find it to be that great. The people were mostly really nice and I know they mean well, but it was not for me. I found it exhausting, a little weird and a little cultish. They wanted to push me into being really open ( I am not a very open person and never have been). When we went to table chapel they implied that I didn't belong there or I am not a Christian because I didn't want to tell them my problems. I just can not bring myself to trust people with personal things, that I have known for only a couple of hours. And they proved me right because one of guys made a few smart remarks to me. Why would I trust this guy? They did their best to make everybody cry, and they did make most of the men there cry like babies. I came close, but I held back. I am just not programed like that. I was not raised to wear my emotions on my shirt sleeve..... Not that I think it is bad, I have just been trained to shut up and stop whining..... If you know what I mean. Anyway, I left the walk to Emmaus feeling bad about myself and maybe a little angry. I just didn't fit in. And I left wondering if I can even be a Christian being I am very shy and find it almost impossible to share my inner feelings. Has anybody else had a similar experience with the walk to emmaus ?? Or is it just me ??
As long as you open up to God. I know how you feel, I didn't trust anyone to know my feelings or innermost thoughts because people tend to turn around and hurt you...but God never does and now I'm married to someone I can open up to. But God is still my most private confidant. No one should make you feel bad, that's not right but it is human nature. Pray for their forgiveness and don't be mad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MOLLY78

Oct 11, 2018
Indiana
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anybody here been on the Walk to Emmaus? I went last weekend. I did not find it to be that great. The people were mostly really nice and I know they mean well, but it was not for me. I found it exhausting, a little weird and a little cultish. They wanted to push me into being really open ( I am not a very open person and never have been). When we went to table chapel they implied that I didn't belong there or I am not a Christian because I didn't want to tell them my problems. I just can not bring myself to trust people with personal things, that I have known for only a couple of hours. And they proved me right because one of guys made a few smart remarks to me. Why would I trust this guy? They did their best to make everybody cry, and they did make most of the men there cry like babies. I came close, but I held back. I am just not programed like that. I was not raised to wear my emotions on my shirt sleeve..... Not that I think it is bad, I have just been trained to shut up and stop whining..... If you know what I mean. Anyway, I left the walk to Emmaus feeling bad about myself and maybe a little angry. I just didn't fit in. And I left wondering if I can even be a Christian being I am very shy and find it almost impossible to share my inner feelings. Has anybody else had a similar experience with the walk to emmaus ?? Or is it just me ??
No, I dont think it is just you. My thoughts on an Emmaus walk is that it would be great for someone who doesn't have a strong relationship with Jesus or are not aware of the Holy Spirit. Or even someone wanting to renew or strenthen their faith. We have had several attend a walk from our small country church. Everyone always said that they had a life changing experience and they cant tell you what happens but that I should go and would love it! I feel I have had my own awesome experiences through my faith in Jesus and my answered prayers and trials I have gone through to strenthen my faith. I dont feel it is something I need to do. I dont understand the pressure they put on people and why they just beg people to go. I think it really needs to be something you want for yourself. I guess the thing that has really turned me off is that several who attended the walk came back to our church acting mad! They stirred up trouble in our church and some eventually left and went elsewhere. Some try not to look at you and dont want to speak unless you speak to them first. I feel really negative about this and dont feel it is Christian at all!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Diving into something like that if you are shy might be more than a bit overwhelming.

Having said that, being shy can be paralyzing. It's true there's nothing wrong with being reserved, but the whole point of going to something like Emmaus is to share feelings and experiences.

Maybe it is something you should talk to a therapist or counselor about.

Yes, I have been through a lot in my life. I was abandoned by my parents and my first wife. I pretty much raised myself as a teenager. I am okay now.

It sounds like you are potentially minimizing or trivializing alot of painful experiences. That can prevent you from connecting with other people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0