• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tend to wake up in the morning, have a few seconds of peace, and then BAM, I start worrying and ruminating about something. It's enough to make me nauseous and I don't want to get out of bed and go to work--in fact, I had to stop writing this post and run to the bathroom because I nearly threw up.

That's a general problem, that happens to some degree with almost anything I worry about.

In this case, I'm worried because my boyfriend and I were having a conversation about theology (he had some questions he was wrestling with) and the answers I gave... FELT wrong in the moment, but I said them anyway. (They were hard questions about trusting God and managing to have no fear--if a person fully trusts God, they should have no fear. Fitting conversation.) And we talked some more and came to a better conclusion, but I'm just scared that he's going to remember something wrong that I said and latch onto that. I feel like I deliberately led him astray, but I can't remember everything I said. Thankfully he's the type to analyze pretty much everything, and I did tell him that he should talk to the pastor, but still.

Edit: in fact, I texted him this morning telling him to just mentally throw away everything I said and start over with the pastor. Which I guess is technically impossible, but it's the best I can do now.

Last edited:

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to wake up in the morning, have a few seconds of peace, and then BAM, I start worrying and ruminating about something. It's enough to make me nauseous and I don't want to get out of bed and go to work--in fact, I had to stop writing this post and run to the bathroom because I nearly threw up.

That's a general problem, that happens to some degree with almost anything I worry about.

In this case, I'm worried because my boyfriend and I were having a conversation about theology (he had some questions he was wrestling with) and the answers I gave... FELT wrong in the moment, but I said them anyway. (They were hard questions about trusting God and managing to have no fear--if a person fully trusts God, they should have no fear. Fitting conversation.) And we talked some more and came to a better conclusion, but I'm just scared that he's going to remember something wrong that I said and latch onto that. I feel like I deliberately led him astray, but I can't remember everything I said. Thankfully he's the type to analyze pretty much everything, and I did tell him that he should talk to the pastor, but still.

Edit: in fact, I texted him this morning telling him to just mentally throw away everything I said and start over with the pastor. Which I guess is technically impossible, but it's the best I can do now.
Thinking and praying about your situation... considering what to write...

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So... I know it doesn't do any good to tell someone who is feeling what you're feeling not to worry.

One thing that came to mind was Jesus saying don't be anxious about stuff, instead consider the birds, how they fly around in the air and God feeds them.

Maybe having a set prayer that you can do anytime you start to have these feelings. Like if you're Catholic, you could say a Hail Mary.

Just something repetitive to take your mind out of the cycle. For me it would be something like praying Psalm 18
The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
and I have been saved from my enemies.

Upvote 0

RosesandDaisies

Jun 27, 2022
Fulton
✟15,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Do you have overall good health? You overreact. Do you eat right and get enough sleep? Magnesium will
definitely help you with decreasing your anxiety. Since you are a Christian like I, I assume you pray about it and you try to practice self-control. Even with some anxiety you can go to work and you should. Prayers for change and for more balanced emotions my dear :)

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Anxiety can be so rough! I'm sorry it's giving you a hard time. :( What do you think are your biggest compulsions right now?

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anxiety can be so rough! I'm sorry it's giving you a hard time. :( What do you think are your biggest compulsions right now?

Right now I'm in a cleaning compulsion cycle; I'm obsessed over germs and obsessed over contaminants potentially getting into foods...

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right now I'm in a cleaning compulsion cycle; I'm obsessed over germs and obsessed over contaminants potentially getting into foods...
Hi again, MaddKat

I have a good friend who has intrusive thoughts and obsessions, anxiety. (Unfortunately, he's not a compulsive cleaner, pretty much the opposite. I kind of wish he would clean a bit more, I'd be more comfortable in his apartment :D )

But anyways, I came across this advice on the internet that I shared with him. He said it really helped him, and it was something he'd actually come to on his own, anyway.

1) Tell yourself the worst will happen, has already happened, will probably happen... things like that. (That's counterintuitive for me, since I like to focus on positive things. But apparently in some cases it will reduce anxiety in the long term!)

2) Don't fight the anxiety, go ahead and feel it. Let it wash over you.

His obsession/anxiety is over a coming civil war in the USA. In the past I always try to talk him out of it, like it's probably not going to happen.

But yesterday I said Yeah, civil war, it's coming. Might happen as soon as this November with the elections.

He was actually relieved. Like, Finally, someone believes me.

We ended up laughing and joking about it.

Anyways, I just put that out there. Maybe it helps, maybe it not.

And like Jesus told his disciples Peace be with you.

Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know how that is!! What are some ways you think you could work on limiting your compulsions?

Upvote 0

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know how that is!! What are some ways you think you could work on limiting your compulsions?
I think just trying to "just do it," like pretend as though I wasn't having any intrusive thoughts.

I did finally get in to the therapist; she's gonna have me do an OCD workbook so hopefully that'll help.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think just trying to "just do it," like pretend as though I wasn't having any intrusive thoughts.

I did finally get in to the therapist; she's gonna have me do an OCD workbook so hopefully that'll help.
I'm so glad to hear this!! And I like your strategy, too. :) Please keep us posted if you can!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums