South
✟13,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nope. It just collapses into "Godmustadunnit." But evolutionary theory explains why it is that way. Would you like to learn how we know?

I have already told you that I am aware of the reasons why you think "we" know.

Belief in a first cause that had no first cause is really not something that can realistically be presented as "Godmustadunnit". Nothing collapses into anything because of it, it does not collapse at all. The physical world might, and all science will be gone with it, but a non-physical God that did create it won't be going anywhere. (Unless that God was never there).

The perspective that "God did it." does not mean God must have done anything, it does not mean that a person thinks science is a conspiracy against God, it does not mean that the person who said it knows nothing (they might even know a lot of science) - it means they possess a conviction, a belief that you do not agree with. That is all.

Upvote 0

RC Tent

Jan 28, 2019
South
✟13,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yet, creationists like Kent Hovind, the ICR, and "Answers in Genesis" all make scientific claims. The ICR used to call their modern doctrines, "Flood Geology" until they realized how foolish that was.

Yes they do make claims regarding science...based on their declared religious foundation, why do you think that people cannot have a religious perspective on science? Clearly, you have a scientific perspective on religion, but you will not politely tolerate anyone having a religious perspective on science.

When I say that they are not conducting "modern science" I do not mean that they are not contemporary, that they are somehow historical ministries....I mean they are not bound by the same parameters that science is at this time.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes they do make claims regarding science...based on their declared religious foundation,

And the result is Kent Hovind telling people that men killed T. rex by pulling off it's "tiny"arms. If you apply religion to scientific questions, that's what you get. Pretty much the same as if you try to apply science to the supernatural.

why do you think that people cannot have a religious perspective on science?

Instead of imagining what I think, why not ask first? I have a religious perspective on science. Sometimes, when I'm out by myself in nature, it all comes together for me. And I see how amazing it is that He could make a world in which all this comes about as He intended. A humbling epiphany. I feel sorry for those who can't see what I've seen, or who are unwilling to accept a God that wise and powerful. Pretty much all the men I've studied under have the same experience. Even Stephen Gould, an agnostic, once admitted that he wondered if this is all here because God wanted to share it with someone.

If more non-scientists had an informed religious perspective on science, there'd be less trouble in the world.

Clearly, you have a scientific perspective on religion, but you will not politely tolerate anyone having a religious perspective on science.

I'm merely pointing out the cautionary tale of lightning bolts thought to be God tossing them at sinners. I'm not intolerant of people who think like that. I'm only pointing out that they lead themselves away from the truth thereby. And a Christian should never do that.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian observes:
Nope. It just collapses into "Godmustadunnit." But evolutionary theory explains why it is that way. Would you like to learn how we know?

I have already told you that I am aware of the reasons why you think "we" know.

Unlikely, but I could be wrong. Why does evolutionary theory show why whales have horizontal flukes and sharks have vertical tail fins? Why does the theory show why mammals have simple lower jaws and complex ears, while reptiles have complex lower jaws and simple ears? What do you think?

Belief in a first cause that had no first cause is really not something that can realistically be presented as "Godmustadunnit".

But the answers to the above two questions by most creationists are so presented. The last time I asked, a creationist said that "God designed them that way." When I asked why they both had the same shape, he said "Common creator; common design." If it's different, "Godmustadunnit." If it's alike, "Godmustadunnit."

Which, in the long view, is true enough. God created everything; some people just aren't comfortable with the way He did it.

Like the man who "helped" the balloonist lost in a fog. Balloonist yells down to a man on the ground "Where are we?"

The man yelled back, "You're in a balloon."

True enough but useless for the problem at hand. That's what "Godmustadunnit" means.

Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

RC Tent

Jan 28, 2019
South
✟13,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unlikely, but I could be wrong.

Seriously, there are people who know why people believe in evolution, who do know the evidence, and actually just do not believe that science is the ultimate arbiter of all reality.

Your assumption that only ignorance or dishonesty could possibly explain why anyone doubts it as truth is not science, it is an attitude.

God created everything; some people just aren't comfortable with the way He did it.

So you can prove your empathic and mind reading skills with science can you? Otherwise, you don't really have much here except what certainly appears to be another condescending assumption.

That's what "Godmustadunnit" means.

Okay, but since this is simply the assumption that everyone is constantly trying to pass a biology or geology exam, and therefore you see everyone who in fact is not even trying to do that as failing the exam. When someone says "God did it" they are making a statement of faith, not answering a biology quiz.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,184.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
You've been misled about that, too. We now know there was a long history of complex multicellular organisms long before the Cambrian. At least some of them were animals. Would you like to learn more about it?

Sounds interesting. Do you go to your barber when you need your car worked on? If not, why would you go to people who aren't familiar with the evidence?

They've forgotten more about the imaginary evidence for Evamalution than you're ever likely even to read about. Every new discovery that goes counter to the evolutionists' stated beliefs, elicits a hilariously predictable response : 'My ! Evolution is always surprising us, isn't it ?'

Why don't you expose those 'know-nothing' shabby heretics by writing a book demolishing Behe's book Darwin Devolves, which you can buy cheaply, if you are quick ?

Upvote 0

RC Tent

Jan 28, 2019
South
✟13,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Instead of imagining what I think, why not ask first?

I am not imagining what you think - you are posting what you think. You read certain obviously Creationist web sites as if they are trying to conduct science, because along with their statements of faith and declarations on Genesis, they also have articles about science. You are posting words about how you count that as attempts at science which fail....that is where, in your strongly expressed objections, you do not tolerate their choice to use faith as a basis of reality, then they interpret science in accordance with that faith.

You have stated your objections, I did not imagine them.

Your testimony about the natural world and how your faith is sometimes supported and strengthened when you are in it is all good, but it does seem to miss the point I am making. You are not actually talking about having a faith that impacts on your perspective on science - that is the study of the physical or natural world, you are talking about how you feel while actually in the natural world. That is what science studies....it is not what science is.

You choose to take science as the arbiter of what is real, and figure it is okay to have a faith in something too...so why be so intolerant of people who take God (in their understanding) as the arbiter of reality, and then interpret science according to that?

Upvote 0

paul becke

Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,184.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Barbarian observes:

Unlikely, but I could be wrong. Why does evolutionary theory show why whales have horizontal flukes and sharks have vertical tail fins? Why does the theory show why mammals have simple lower jaws and complex ears, while reptiles have complex lower jaws and simple ears? What do you think?

But the answers to the above two questions by most creationists are so presented. The last time I asked, a creationist said that "God designed them that way." When I asked why they both had the same shape, he said "Common creator; common design." If it's different, "Godmustadunnit." If it's alike, "Godmustadunnit."

Which, in the long view, is true enough. God created everything; some people just aren't comfortable with the way He did it.

Like the man who "helped" the balloonist lost in a fog. Balloonist yells down to a man on the ground "Where are we?"

True enough but useless for the problem at hand. That's what "Godmustadunnit" means.

Unfortunately for you evolutionists, your theory that doesn't even amount to a theory, having been left behind with the materialism that you fancied would lead you to all knowledge of the universe and life, itself - classical physics. You would never have discovered quantum physics in a month of Sundays, as the paradoxes have just kept proliferating. The only way progress has been made was by using the paradoxes as spring-boards for further discoveries by the normal logic of classical physics.

'True enough but useless for the problem at hand. That's what "Godmustadunnit" means.'

You still don't get it, do you ? It's the end of the line, or close to it, as far as physics is concerned. Only spiritual Christian knowledge will be helpful before long, if not from here on in.

Why do you think all the great paradigms of physics were discovered by men who were not just Sunday Christians, but what would today be termed, 'religious nuts' ? Hmm ?

It seems to me that the evidence of QM suggests that the rabbi in the Talmud long ago, who stated that when a person dies a whole world disappears with him, had it just about right. We each live in a little world of our own, created, sustained, integrated and coordinated by God. Even the fact that the light from the head-lights of a car travelling behind another car travelling in the same direction, at a constant speed, will always hit the back of the car in front at its absolute speed, irrespective of the speed at which the latter is travelling.

It means that the light photons or the agency behind them must know every person in the world, in order to make sure those photons don't only travel at its absolute speed minus the speed at which the car in front is travelling. Photons have a different framework of reference, distinct from space-time (although in this case, interacting with it), which quantum physicists, I believe, call 'non-locality').

We call that 'theism' - a God in a personal relationship with every individual, and clearly with infinite knowledge and power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul becke

Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,184.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
They've forgotten more about the imaginary evidence for Evamalution than you're ever likely even to read about. Every new discovery that goes counter to the evolutionists' stated beliefs, elicits a hilariously predictable response : 'My ! Evolution is always surprising us, isn't it ?'

Why don't you expose those 'know-nothing' shabby heretics by writing a book demolishing Behe's book Darwin Devolves, which you can buy cheaply, if you are quick ?

'Would you like to learn more about it?'

Yes and no.
Yes, I'd be intrigued to see what contortions, fantasies and misleading half-truths your authorities would come up with ; and
No, I have not a scintilla of doubt that your authorities, compared to the likes of Behe and Meyer, would be fantasists, with only minimally greater intellectual integrity than Richard Lewontin. Read this and weep for the company you keep :

Amazing admission - Lewontin Quote - creation.com

Upvote 0

NobleMouse

We have nothing, if not belief in the Lord
Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. The evidence doesn’t exist.
2. The historical timelines that purportedly support it are constantly mutating.
3. The theory is a complete failure as a predictive model.
4. The theory is scientifically and technologically irrelevant. There are no evolutionary engineers.
5. Theoretical epicycles are increasingly required to maintain its viability.
6. The theory is a repeated failure as an explanatory model.
7. There is a very long track record of scientific fraud surrounding it.

Vox Day, “Dark stream: The descent of TENS” at Vox Popoli

Read the whole article at the link below, at Uncommon Descent.

Science fiction writer Vox Day on the “darkstream descent” of Darwin’s theory of evolution
May be worth defining "evolution" here. What kind of evolution are you referring?

If you're talking about evolution from a universal common ancestor over 3.8 billion years, then points 1 - 7 are definitely correct. Evolution on that scale requires new information and there are no naturalistic/materialistic processes that create the new information. Neo-Darwinian evolution is a closed case for me - there has been no proof that has ever been observed or reproduced, and this hypothesis has been rejected not only by creationists, but also the folks with the ID movement (such as Meyer, Behe, et al.), as well as even some with no religious affiliation at all.

On the other hand, evolution as describing minor variations of life that result from the pre-programmed information already in the DNA (such as peppered moths, variations in hares, etc...), that does happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unfortunately for you evolutionists, your theory that doesn't even amount to a theory,

Perhaps you'd do better by learning what "theory" means. It's an idea or set of ideas that have been repeatedly verified by evidence. See above to learn about some of the evidence, or if you can't find it, I'll show you some.

having been left behind with the materialism that you fancied would lead you to all knowledge of the universe and life, itself - classical physics.

Evolutionary theory is not physics. Try again.

You still don't get it, do you ? It's the end of the line, or close to it, as far as physics is concerned.

(Barbarian checks) Nope. Still making useful new discoveries. But as you just learned, this isn't about physics.

Only spiritual Christian knowledge will be helpful before long, if not from here on in.

Don't see how that's going to get your house built, your computer designed, or your medical diagnoses.

Why do you think all the great paradigms of physics were discovered by men who were not just Sunday Christians, but what would today be termed, 'religious nuts' ? Hmm ?

Einstein was a Spinozian deist. Newton was an Arian, who believed the Trinity was a later insertion into the Bible. Boltzmann wasn't particularly religious. Shrodinger referred to himself as an atheist. I don't agree with any of those on religion, but I wouldn't call them "religious nuts."

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not imagining what you think - you are posting what you think.

You attributed something to me that I didn't say. So there is that.

You read certain obviously Creationist web sites as if they are trying to conduct science, because along with their statements of faith and declarations on Genesis, they also have articles about science.

If they make scientific claims, then they have to be judged in that context, just as a scientist making religious claims must be judged in terms of theology.

You are posting words about how you count that as attempts at science which fail....

That's demonstrably true. There are many prominent creationists who regularly pronounce things about science that are false. Would you like some examples?

that is where, in your strongly expressed objections, you do not tolerate their choice to use faith as a basis of reality

"Toleration" doesn't mean "freedom from criticism." I defend their right to do it; I'm just pointing out why it fails.

Your testimony about the natural world and how your faith is sometimes supported and strengthened when you are in it is all good, but it does seem to miss the point I am making. You are not actually talking about having a faith that impacts on your perspective on science - that is the study of the physical or natural world, you are talking about how you feel while actually in the natural world. That is what science studies....it is not what science is.

As I said, I feel sorry for those who are unable to see nature as it is, and rejoice in God's power and wisdom. This is the sad aspect of YE creationism.

You choose to take science as the arbiter of what is real

As I pointed out to you, science is no more able to be an arbiter of the supernatural than religion is able to be an arbiter of the physical world.

so why be so intolerant of people who take God (in their understanding) as the arbiter of reality, and then interpret science according to that?

Perhaps you don't know what "intolerant" means. I'm aware of their right to believe as they will, just as anyone else is. I would fight for their right to do so. That does not mean anyone is immune to criticism of their ideas. It just means they are free to express them.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Show us one of those. Which of Darwin's five points do you think has been countered by recent discoveries? That's not a rhetorical question, I'd really like to know what you have. Tell us about it.

Why don't you expose those 'know-nothing' shabby heretics

If you're actually a Catholic, you should know that YE creationists are necessarily heretics. The Church considers the question of evolution and even of a literal six-day creation week to be open questions, and Catholics may believe either without being contrary to Church doctrine.

by writing a book demolishing Behe's book Darwin Devolves, which you can buy cheaply, if you are quick ?

More learned people than I, have done that beyond my ability. However, this is a message board, and you are more than welcome to present whatever you think his most convincing argument for creationism might be.

That could be a real test for you, since Behe says he accepts evolution as true. He just thinks God has to step in every now and then, to keep it working properly.

He's the guy, if you don't know, who testified in court that Intelligent Design is science in the same sense that Astrology is science.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Seriously, there are people who know why people believe in evolution, who do know the evidence, and actually just do not believe that science is the ultimate arbiter of all reality.

I, for example, don't believe that science is the ultimate arbiter of all reality. It's O.K. to be unscientific when the circumstances fit something else. I am often unscientific.

Your assumption that only ignorance or dishonesty could possibly explain why anyone doubts it as truth is not science, it is an attitude.

To be precise, it's an inference from evidence.

"People are usually down on things they aren't up on."
Everett Dirkson

So you can prove your empathic and mind reading skills with science can you?

You were the one attributing to me beliefs that I don't have.

Okay, but since this is simply the assumption that everyone is constantly trying to pass a biology or geology exam,

Why do you assume that? If I'm praying to God, for example, how would that apply? I think you are wrong here.

and therefore you see everyone who in fact is not even trying to do that as failing the exam.

Don't see how. I'm just pointing out the fact.

When someone says "God did it" they are making a statement of faith, not answering a biology quiz.

If they try to answer why reptiles and mammals have jaws and ears of different complexities, by a statement of faith, they fail. Not a quiz, just a failure to answer.

Pretty much like trying to use science to define the Trinity. It just won't work.

Upvote 0

M Walter

Feb 10, 2019
Cambridge
✟8,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hate to be a jerk, but I really don't understand how anyone can accepts the tenets of evolution. It is irrational at best: lacks cause-and-effect, doesn't agree with basic thermodynamics, doesn't work mathematically, is contrary to the laws of probability, lacks empirical data, to name a few things, and besides it is really quite silly. What exactly do you get outta it...I mean the personal relationship?? There must be a great disparity in your life as your belief-system disagrees with reality so much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I realise there are quite a number of young earthers out there that would like to think that life on this planet is only about 10,000 years old, but it is not.

Please repeat after me...

Evolution of life and the belief in a creator God are not mutually exclusive...

repeat again.......

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hate to be a jerk, but I really don't understand how anyone can accepts the tenets of evolution.

Mostly, because it's directly observed to happen. But also because Darwin's five points of evolutionary theory have been repeatedly confirmed by observation, and because the many, many predictions of evolutionary theory that have been since verified.

Things like that.

It is irrational at best: lacks cause-and-effect,

Direct observation has shown that selective pressure does indeed produce a change in allele frequencies that tend to make a population more fit to its environment.

doesn't agree with basic thermodynamics

Tell us what process, required for evolution, violates any law of thermodynamics. Be sure to show which law and what process it is.

doesn't work mathematically

Sounds good. Show us your numbers, and how you got them.

is contrary to the laws of probability

Show us your numbers and how you got them.

lacks empirical data

Even honest YE creationists admit the many, many transitional series of fossils are very good evidence for evolution.

What exactly do you get outta it...I mean the personal relationship??

How do you think scientists have a personal relationship with natural phenomena?

There must be a great disparity in your life as your belief-system disagrees with reality so much.

See above. And don't forget to show us that evidence, hear?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So Paul, you haven't said -- what was risible about my use of common descent? What was wrong with the evidence I presented? You've made a lot of assertions and slung around a lot of insults, but when confronted with any scientific evidence, you get suddenly . . . shy.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hate to be a jerk, but I really don't understand how anyone can accepts the tenets of evolution. It is irrational at best: lacks cause-and-effect, doesn't agree with basic thermodynamics, doesn't work mathematically, is contrary to the laws of probability, lacks empirical data, to name a few things, and besides it is really quite silly. What exactly do you get outta it...I mean the personal relationship?? There must be a great disparity in your life as your belief-system disagrees with reality so much.
I'm not going to echo the responses @The Barbarian just gave, but I'll try asking you the same question I asked Paul earlier: how much actual experience do you have with the science of evolution? Do you read scientific papers in the field? What are you basing your conclusions on?

Upvote 0