Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And yet whenever this is pointed out by someone who holds beliefs that defy current scientific consensus their credibility is questioned because they know this.

Tell that to Einstein or alfered wegener. Didn't stop them though. Objective evidence corroborated with physical reality, prevails.

Upvote 0

RC Tent

Jan 28, 2019
South
✟20,500.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tell that to Einstein or alfered wegener. Didn't stop them though. Objective evidence corroborated with physical reality, prevails.

I have not seen either of them deriding people for knowing that science changes with the evidence.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have not seen either of them deriding people for knowing that science changes with the evidence.

I'm just pointing out that criticism of ideas is common and happens to everyone. But If what the person is saying, is backed by the evidence, they will win out regardless.

Unfortunately, young earthers have been arguing against geologists and biologists for hundreds of years. Their support has only declined.

• Informative
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I remember when I was in college, Wegener's theory of continental drift was not accepted by most geologists. Then, when mid-oceanic ridges were discovered to be centers of seafloor spreading, his ideas were quickly adopted. My copy of Nevin's Structural Geology (1931) dismisses Wegener's ideas, while remaining open to any demonstration of a means by which continents might actually move great distances.
Wyllie's The Way the Earth Works, (1971) has a very good description of the changes in thinking right after those discoveries.

Worth reading both, to get some idea of the way science works through such controversies.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And yet whenever this is pointed out by someone who holds beliefs that defy current scientific consensus their credibility is questioned because they know this

If my barber tells me that my auto mechanic doesn't know what he's doing, I take that for what it's worth. If another certified mechanic tells me this, I pay more attention.

For the obvious reasons. It does matter if one knows what one is talking about.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Perhaps you'd do better by learning what "theory" means. It's an idea or set of ideas that have been repeatedly verified by evidence. See above to learn about some of the evidence, or if you can't find it, I'll show you some.

Evolutionary theory is not physics. Try again.

(Barbarian checks) Nope. Still making useful new discoveries. But as you just learned, this isn't about physics.

Don't see how that's going to get your house built, your computer designed, or your medical diagnoses.

Einstein was a Spinozian deist. Newton was an Arian, who believed the Trinity was a later insertion into the Bible. Boltzmann wasn't particularly religious. Shrodinger referred to himself as an atheist. I don't agree with any of those on religion, but I wouldn't call them "religious nuts."

So, from your list, only Schrodinger described himself as an atheist. And I wouldn't put him up with Einstein and Newton. Newton eventually claimed to despise mathematics, in favour of his version of deism.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So, from your list, only Schrodinger described himself as an atheist. And I wouldn't put him up with Einstein and Newton. Newton eventually claimed to despise mathematics, in favour of his version of deism.

Newton was closest to being an Arian, rather than a deist. But it was complex; he wasn't an orthodox anything.

Upvote 0