Which is preferable? You can only pick one.

• Require photo identification to both buy a gun and vote.

• Don't require identification for either voting or buying a gun because they are both constitutional

Results are only viewable after voting.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Oompa, it is listed in another page.

You must present documents showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Please refer to Real ID Requirements for more information.

REAL ID REQUIREMENTS
  1. Identity Document (one document) - An original or certified document to prove WHO YOU ARE such as a certified Birth Certificate, US Passport, Certificate of Naturalization, I-551, etc.
  2. Your Social Security Card. (one document) - Visit Social Security Administration for more information.
  3. Two Documents showing Georgia residency - where you live (e.g. utility bill, phone bill). These documents must show a street address and be dated within the past six (6) months.
  4. Non-Citizens - must provide proof of identity and/or lawful status
Number three is an interesting requirement which may bite someone it wasn't intended to. It hasn't been six months since I received mail in my own name, but several weeks at least, and might become six months in future. No land line, utility, other payments and banking, interchanges with various government bodies all done on line. Really, most of the snail mail that ever comes to my house now is addressed to "Current Resident."

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Number three is an interesting requirement which may bite someone it wasn't intended to. It hasn't been six months since I received mail in my own name, but several weeks at least, and might become six months in future. No land line, utility, other payments and banking, interchanges with various government bodies all done on line. Really, most of the snail mail that ever comes to my house now is addressed to "Current Resident."

I believe a printed bill works. We registered when we got our new drivers licenses.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe they are able to and the Right will just have to think of something else. ;)
Like mandating covid passports to vote in the name of health concerns? Perhaps the GOP will mandate presenting a photo ID to validate their covid passport. That way they can disenfranchise more voters indirectly.

• Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

immadatyou.gif

This thread had a small clean up of off topic and posts that goad/flame others.

Keep it civil!

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,601.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Like mandating covid passports to vote in the name of health concerns? Perhaps the GOP will mandate presenting a photo ID to validate their covid passport. That way they can disenfranchise more voters indirectly.

I can't see a problem with a covid passport. All you need is a card with your photo on and your signature saying that you've had your jabs. You don't need proof of address or your aunty's birth certificate.

And machines that bang out a laminated card with your piccie on it are easily available. In fact, all you need when someone gets a jab is to take their photo nd get them.to sign a form. The card can be done later.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think it would be a mistake to combine an ID which would constitute proof of citizenship with a certificate of vaccination. The two documents fulfill two different and unrelated purposes. In addition, right now health care workers are giving around three million doses of vaccine per day. They are very busy and have neither the training nor the experience to verify identity and citizenship from original documents. The little yellow booklet works just fine and has for decades. If you want to replace it with a plastic card that's fine--it would be more durable--but it is not and was never intended to be a ID.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Proposition: How about making voting at least as much a basic right for US citizens as owning firearms. That would be a good start.

-CryptoLutheran

You can't get a firearm without proper identification and a background check...

And yes, I'm fine with voting being treated the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,601.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The International Certificate of Vaccination required for foreign travel.

Ah yeah. Apparently we have something similar, if not the same (my wife handles the paperwork - I'm a complete klutz at it). Seems we needed it when we went to India and we took it with us when we went to the US, but no-one asked for it. Mrs. Bradskii says our doctor supplied it.

Not sure if it will be used as confirmation that we've had our covid jab. Which is still a couple of months away.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some states require a background check for private sales, others do not.

I think at this point they all do, even for private sales...

And, since voting is not a private enterprise, I think we can conclude that asking voting to be equal to gun laws (since a person's vote can indeed be far deadlier than a single gun) is not a stretch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think at this point they all do, even for private sales...

And, since voting is not a private enterprise, I think we can conclude that asking voting to be equal to gun laws (since a person's vote can indeed be far deadlier than a single gun) is not a stretch.
Not sure and can't find a reference that says so. Have you got anything? I know that N. Carolina just passed such a law that applies to handguns only

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You can't get a firearm without proper identification and a background check...

And yes, I'm fine with voting being treated the same.

Under federal law licensed sellers need ID and to run background checks. But not all states require ID and background checks for all gun sales and transfers. Private transactions don't require identification or background checks.

I happen to live in a state that does require ID and background checks for all gun sales, not just from officially licensed sellers.

To say that one can't get a firearm without proper identification and a background check only applies if one is purchasing a firearm from a licensed seller; so it is only half-true.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Ah yeah. Apparently we have something similar, if not the same (my wife handles the paperwork - I'm a complete klutz at it). Seems we needed it when we went to India and we took it with us when we went to the US, but no-one asked for it. Mrs. Bradskii says our doctor supplied it.

Not sure if it will be used as confirmation that we've had our covid jab. Which is still a couple of months away.
If you don't have one you'll get a little card with the same health department stamp. If you bring your little yellow book they'll stamp that instead. Mostly it's a handy record of the inoculations you need (Hep A & B, etc.) but are not required. So far I've only had to show mine in Yellow Fever countries.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,601.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you don't have one you'll get a little card with the same health department stamp. If you bring your little yellow book they'll stamp that instead. Mostly it's a handy record of the inoculations you need (Hep A & B, etc.) but are not required. So far I've only had to show mine in Yellow Fever countries.
I got hep A about thirty years ago. Definitely not recommended. Not withstanding that I had to give up booze for 6 months (I lasted 5 months, 3 weeks and 4 days).

Upvote 0