Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think the wiccan faith is an recently invented religion that is sorta a "catch" all... that is that anything goes really.
It's ecclectic, but certainly not without common ground. The Wiccan Rede, for instance, and a reverence for nature.

I think it's most common feature is the belief in "magic" either white or black, and the preformance of it (which unites them with any religion that has tried to perform magic such a shamans).
Wicca is not a system of magick, it is a religion. You are thinking of Witchcraft, which is indeed akin to Shamanism, Druidism, etc, in that it involves magick. Magick is to Wiccans what prayer is for Christians: useful, but ultimately unnecessary.

They most commonly believe in a mother earth goddess called isis I believe,
Not quite. Wiccans worship two primary deities, the God and the Goddess (a.k.a., the Lord and Lady, etc). Isis is considered a deitiy in her own right, albiet a facet of the more general feminine divine. The same is true of the male deities and the masculine divine: independant entities in their own right, but facets nonetheless.

but as far as pagan, commonly there were no other gods mentioned or thought about.
I'm not aware of any atheistic Pagan faith, though I don't think there are any deities common to all faiths.

They have preistesses in their cults, ect.
Some Covens (organised groups of Wiccans and/or Witches) usually have a leading man and/or woman, dubbed the High Priest and the High Priestess, respectively. This are not mandatory, though.

Does this sound accurate at all? :)
The general idea is pretty much right, but the specifics were all over the place. Nice try though.

Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not quite. Wiccans worship two primary deities, the God and the Goddess (a.k.a., the Lord and Lady, etc). Isis is considered a deitiy in her own right, albiet a facet of the more general feminine divine. The same is true of the male deities and the masculine divine: independant entities in their own right, but facets nonetheless.

I'm sorry I didn't include the "male" God, but it's because he doesn't seem very important to the religion, if he was, wouldn't you have named him? Who is he anyways, for my own info? :)

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm sorry I didn't include the "male" God, but it's because he doesn't seem very important to the religion, if he was, wouldn't you have named him? Who is he anyways, for my own info? :)
He is the counterpart to the Goddess. They have no formal names; we call them what we wish. Indeed, their Charges (poems dedicated to them) all include a list of names by which they go by. For the God, I prefer the title of Lord (and Lady for the Goddess), though I also like the name Cerunnos. Ultimately, names are irrelevant. It's the entity itself that's important.
If I may ask, from whom did you get your information regarding Wicca?

Upvote 0

Chie

A wise King finds happiness in acts of mercy
Aug 13, 2006
Texas
✟17,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My cousin is Pagan, Wiccan, and specifically a Druid. She's one of the nicest, most understanding people I've ever met and she's my closest cousin. Now I've been asking her about her beliefs and common base beliefs of Wiccans. And all the devil worshiping sacrificing babies garbage that's thrown around when a person hears 'Wicca' is false. It's actually a very free and spiritual faith. I'm looking more and more into it myself.

Now what are your views on it?
It is not the view of people we as christians need to be seeking but the view and will of God concerning false gods and doctrine of men.
When we look from God there is always something that will be pleasing to our eyes.
Gal. 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
I know without a doubt , that covers even nice people too. ;)

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

Accurate? Um…no

Lets count things off

I think the wiccan faith is an recently invented religion that is sorta a "catch" all...
Evolving is probably a better term. Being a young religion does not make it invalid. Remember there was a time when Christianity was young and I am sure you would prefer it not be referred to as “recently invented”

that is that anything goes really.
You might want to learn about a religion form its practitioners before saying things likt that

I think it's most common feature is the belief in "magic" either white or black,
No such thing as “white” or “black” magic….any more than there is good and bad electricity

and the preformance of it (which unites them with any religion that has tried to perform magic such a shamans).
Shamanism is WHOLE nother ball game

They most commonly believe in a mother earth goddess called isis I believe,
Isis is the primary Goddess of the Egyptian pantheon.

but as far as pagan, commonly there were no other gods mentioned or thought about.
Again…you might actually want to talk to a few Pagans about this (cause you are WAY off base)

They have preistesses in their cults, ect. Does this sound accurate at all? :)
Wiccan_Child will undoubtedly correct me if I am wrong (thanks in advance there ) but if memory serves EVEYRONE in Wicca is technically a member of the clergy.

Calling any organized religion a “cult” is considered rude in the extreme.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wiccan_Child will undoubtedly correct me if I am wrong (thanks in advance there ) but if memory serves EVEYRONE in Wicca is technically a member of the clergy.

Aye, spot on.

Not to mention it revokes our tax-exempt status :(

Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Evolving is probably a better term. Being a young religion does not make it invalid. Remember there was a time when Christianity was young and I am sure you would prefer it not be referred to as “recently invented”

ok, next time I'll make it sound prettier for you

You might want to learn about a religion form its practitioners before saying things likt that

actually I was once a "practicing" wiccan, so, you might say I have learned a bit about it.

No such thing as “white” or “black” magic….any more than there is good and bad electricity

I think the difference between white and black magie is the difference between non-manipulative vs. manipulative.

Shamanism is WHOLE nother ball game

As far as I can remember, it is because of shamanism that wiccans claim to be the oldest religion in the world.

Isis is the primary Goddess of the Egyptian pantheon.

and now the goddess of wiccans too.

Again…you might actually want to talk to a few Pagans about this (cause you are WAY off base)

I don't think so, and Wiccan_Child didn't think so. Like he mentioned, it is somewhat electic, so you will get many different versions of wiccan.

ok, does this matter?

cult
n. 1. a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.

2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.

Wiccan_Child didn't seem to mind being called cultic, I believe that was a term that was used when I was "practicing." I guess Witch carries a bad conentation as well, but I thought that's why people like these terms :)

Upvote 0

Cordelia

Temperamental Girl of God
Apr 14, 2004
Leeds, United Kingdom
✟10,155.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
My cousin is Pagan, Wiccan, and specifically a Druid. She's one of the nicest, most understanding people I've ever met and she's my closest cousin. Now I've been asking her about her beliefs and common base beliefs of Wiccans. And all the devil worshiping sacrificing babies garbage that's thrown around when a person hears 'Wicca' is false. It's actually a very free and spiritual faith. I'm looking more and more into it myself.

Wicca was what led me, indirectly, to Jesus and Christianity, so I tend to see all spirituality as positive in light of my experience.

Good luck with your quest :)

Upvote 0

chris777

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
GA
✟17,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That without Jesus alone as their savior they have no hope of salvation.

the descriptions of wicca just in this thread alone, tend to allude to a "club" if you will.
its all fun and games.
free, and spiritual faith are ultimately meaningless, if they are consistently defined by those who practice them. Ultimately they are useless distraction. The appearance of godliness is ultimately vanity.
It is Christ in the believer that saves them, not the christliness, of the believer.

This hodge podge, mentality of bits and pieces, of all religions are true, and valid, is frankly satanic poison.

Christ was not crucified in vain.
if it were not an absolute, immutable nessesity, It would not have happened. Christ himself asked for another way, if it were possible.

Christianity is not the way out of eternal seperation from God, because we spun the bottle and it landed on Christ, it is the only way out because he is the Son of God, himself.
The singular, absolute, only way out period.

No one else has ever come back from the dead.
Not Mohammed, not Gandhi , not joseph smith, not the buddha.

These men were not saved by their deeds, they were not saved, by their spirituality, In fact the only way that they could have been saved at all, is if they asked Jesus the Christ, to save them.
If they did not, I pity their fate.
Many will likely take offense, But God is not a respecter of people, so the saintliest of the bunch is not more, (or less) valuable to God than the Adolf, Hitler, or Jeffery dahmer of the bunch.
The scriptures only speak of one sin that is unforgivable.
So other than blasphemy of the Holy spirit, salvation is possible for, and open to any one.

But ultimately it will only be granted to those who accept Jesus as Lord, and Savior alone.

Obviously many will likely argue, but If you read the scriptures, then the truth shall be revealed to you.
Seek him out, and He will find you.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
the descriptions of wicca just in this thread alone, tend to allude to a "club" if you will.
its all fun and games.
Indeed. Should it be dark and dogmatic, cruel and unforgiving?

free, and spiritual faith are ultimately meaningless, if they are consistently defined by those who practice them. Ultimately they are useless distraction.
Is this your belief based on your Christian faith, or do you have objective reasoning to support your slander of all other religions?

This hodge podge, mentality of bits and pieces, of all religions are true, and valid, is frankly satanic poison.
Wiccans, and most other non-Abrahamic relgions, pay no heed to the Judaeo-Islamo-Christian notion of Satan. You may believe it to be what you want, but that does not make it so.

Christ was not crucified in vain.
if it were not an absolute, immutable nessesity, It would not have happened. Christ himself asked for another way, if it were possible.
To diverge somewhat, does this not limit your god's omnipotence and omniscience hugely?

Christianity is not the way out of eternal seperation from God, because we spun the bottle and it landed on Christ, it is the only way out because he is the Son of God, himself.

No one else has ever come back from the dead.
Not Mohammed, not Gandhi , not joseph smith, not the buddha.
Neither has Jesus.

These men were not saved by their deeds, they were not saved, by their spirituality, In fact the only way that they could have been saved at all, is if they asked Jesus the Christ, to save them.
If they did not, I pity their fate.
Many will likely take offense, But God is not a respecter of people, so the saintliest of the bunch is not more, (or less) valuable to God than the Adolf, Hitler, or Jeffery dahmer of the bunch.
Then your god is cruel and unjust. Tell me again why I should submit?

The scriptures only speak of one sin that is unforgivable.
The scriptures are also inconsistant, both internally and externally. Forgive me if I do not put much faith in them.

So other than blasphemy of the Holy spirit, salvation is possible for, and open to any one.
Ah, but you claim that other religions are Satanic, which is itself blasphemous. So, according to your logic, only Christians can be saved. Might as well continue with what I'm doing, then.

But ultimately it will only be granted to those who accept Jesus as Lord, and Savior alone.

Obviously many will likely argue, but If you read the scriptures, then the truth shall be revealed to you.
Seek him out, and He will find you.
I was a Christian for 11 years. Nothing was revealed, nothing sought me out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeMerchant

Apr 15, 2007
27°57'N 82°46'E
✟19,925.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wicca was what led me, indirectly, to Jesus and Christianity, so I tend to see all spirituality as positive in light of my experience.

Good luck with your quest :)

That's very intriguing. I'd love to read your story should you find time to write it.

Upvote 0

Abufihamat

Jul 17, 2007
✟7,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My question is this; why would you come into a Christian section and ask a question of this nature KNOWING that we as Believers would not be supportive of it in any sense?

Kerrie, he was asking on our views, not our rhetorical questions. He's also not barred from asking anything that pertains to our members outlook of the world and spirtuality.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Those who want to learn more about what wicca is and is not might want to read The Truth About Witchcraft Today by Scott Cunningham. If your local public library does not have it, they should be able to get it for you on interlibrary loan.

Upvote 0

chris777

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
GA
✟17,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. Should it be dark and dogmatic, cruel and unforgiving?
It does not matter, it leads away from Christ. The point was that happy, and cheerful, or dogmatic, and unforgiving, are not what makes Christianity, Christ makes it.
it all rest on his shoulders, anything that is not founded on him ultimately leads away from him. I mean this in the sense that people believe that if they do not like a religion they can just go and invent a new one, when they have no concept of it s relevance whatsoever.
We do Good because He is in us, not because its the rule .
a collection of morality is just that a collection of morality.

Is this your belief based on your Christian faith, or do you have objective reasoning to support your slander of all other religions?
some of both. We are not saved because we are good, we are saved, because we seek after him. Jesus is the only way of salvation, so therefore what does that say about all other religions? I call them false because they are. sorry to offend but I see no point in soothsaying. As we do not know if I will even be able to finish this post before the end comes.
Considering this is supposed to be a Christian message board I see no reason to be tactful in how I speak of other religions.
I call them all false as Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation.

Wiccans, and most other non-Abrahamic relgions, pay no heed to the Judaeo-Islamo-Christian notion of Satan. You may believe it to be what you want, but that does not make it so.
and the same can be said of all other beliefs.
I do not associate with islam, as it is accursed, being a new gospel, not from God. As for satan, he is defined as the enemy, of God.
all of the little red man with horns and a fork, is of men. But Satan is rather any opposition to Christ. As whosoever is not for him, is against him.

To diverge somewhat, does this not limit your god's omnipotence and omniscience hugely?
you may have to clarify, as I am not sure of your question, is it about Christ being crucified, or something else?

Neither has Jesus.
I believe the witnesses to the resurrection, as well as the complete lack of those who were alive at the time who denied it.

Then your god is cruel and unjust.
is that why he waited around to be crucified, instead of avoiding it?

Tell me again why I should submit?
we all will some day, the scriptures tell us that every knee will bow, and every tongue shall confess Jesus is Lord. I do not know why you reject him, but I can say that I did, out of my false notion, that I was good, and did not deserve hell.
problem was I did not deserve heaven either.
After I came to realize I was deceived, just like the rest of the world I came into submission.

The scriptures are also inconsistant, both internally and externally. Forgive me if I do not put much faith in them.
the funny thing about that is that all of the sources that claim that are inconsistent, yet they attempt to down trod the word of God at their own peril, and face dire concequence.

Ah, but you claim that other religions are Satanic, which is itself blasphemous.
You have lost me with this?
So, according to your logic, only Christians can be saved. Might as well continue with what I'm doing, then.
Again not sure hat you are speaking of?

I was a Christian for 11 years. Nothing was revealed, nothing sought me out.
But did you seek him out? You claim all of these problems with the scriptures, but did you ever consider that it was not the scriptures that were wrong, but yourself?

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The point was that happy, and cheerful, or dogmatic, and unforgiving, are not what makes Christianity, Christ makes it.

it all rest on his shoulders, anything that is not founded on him ultimately leads away from him.
Like cars? Intravenous medication? Molecular biological research?

I mean this in the sense that people believe that if they do not like a religion they can just go and invent a new one, when they have no concept of it s relevance whatsoever.
We do Good because He is in us, not because its the rule .
a collection of morality is just that a collection of morality.
Then you have no understanding of Wicca.

some of both. We are not saved because we are good, we are saved, because we seek after him. Jesus is the only way of salvation, so therefore what does that say about all other religions? I call them false because they are. sorry to offend but I see no point in soothsaying. As we do not know if I will even be able to finish this post before the end comes.
Considering this is supposed to be a Christian message board I see no reason to be tactful in how I speak of other religions.
I call them all false as Jesus Christ is the only way of salvation.

and the same can be said of all other beliefs.
I do not associate with islam, as it is accursed, being a new gospel, not from God. As for satan, he is defined as the enemy, of God.
all of the little red man with horns and a fork, is of men. But Satan is rather any opposition to Christ. As whosoever is not for him, is against him.
As I said, it is your choice to believe this, but that does not make it true. Have you considered the possibility that you may be wrong?

you may have to clarify, as I am not sure of your question, is it about Christ being crucified, or something else?
That the only method by which your god could offer us salvation is manifesting as a man and brutally sacrificing himself to himself, seems to limit your god's capacity for omnipotence. After all, the more omnipotent he is, the more directly he could offer us salvation. The method told in the Bible seems rather... crude.

I believe the witnesses to the resurrection, as well as the complete lack of those who were alive at the time who denied it.
Do you also believe those who witnessed the resurrection of Mithras?

is that why he waited around to be crucified, instead of avoiding it?
You assume, of course, that Jesus was your god.

we all will some day, the scriptures tell us that every knee will bow, and every tongue shall confess Jesus is Lord. I do not know why you reject him, but I can say that I did, out of my false notion, that I was good, and did not deserve hell.
problem was I did not deserve heaven either.
After I came to realize I was deceived, just like the rest of the world I came into submission.
How did you come to such a realisation?

the funny thing about that is that all of the sources that claim that are inconsistent, yet they attempt to down trod the word of God at their own peril, and face dire concequence.
How so? I have constructed two disproofs of a Literal Bible. One is the six-legged/four-legged locust problem, and the other is the based on the fact that there is too much variation in modern human Y-chromosomes for them to be derived from just one varient 4000 years ago (i.e., a disproof of the Flood).

But did you seek him out? You claim all of these problems with the scriptures, but did you ever consider that it was not the scriptures that were wrong, but yourself?
I found the contradictions many years after my deconversion. I was a Christian for 11 years, and I felt nothing. I started practicing Wicca, and wham, I felt something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chris777

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
GA
✟17,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
in some cases yes
but I was specifically referring to all other religions as they lead away from Christ.
I wasnt directly refering to wicca, but to the notion that morality in itself is
As I said, it is your choice to believe this, but that does not make it true. Have you considered the possibility that you may be wrong?
yes I have, thats in part how I came to believe the way I do.

That the only method by which your god could offer us salvation is manifesting as a man and brutally sacrificing himself to himself, seems to limit your god's capacity for omnipotence. After all, the more omnipotent he is, the more directly he could offer us salvation. The method told in the Bible seems rather... crude.
That assessment is based on the presumption that the method of salvation is outright an "offer" and not a statement.
by that I mean the route of salvation, is meant for us, not necessarily his chosen method. Remember Christ asked if there were any other way, then he would do it, but not his will, but that of the father.

Do you also believe those who witnessed the resurrection of Mithras? I am unaware of any witnesses to mithras.
However I am aware of Paul's reference to over 500 witnesses of the resurrected Christ, living in corinth (the witnesses)
1Cor.15
[1] Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
[2] By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
[3] For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
[4] And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
[5] And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
[6] After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
[7] After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
[8] And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
[9] For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
[10] But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
[11] Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.
[12] Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
[13] But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
[14] And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
[15] Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
[16] For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
[17] And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

You doubt the ressurection now, if you were living in corinth when this epistle arrived there, would you not ask around?
Would you not seek out these people and ask them if the ressurection was some scam?
yet I am aware of no one that denied it.
think about it, Paul is providing ammo for the first doubters, he is even offering up at least several hundred people ,as examples, If the ressurection did not occur, don't you think that the people who knew it would have said something?
wrote anything?
yet their is no refutation, no argument, no dismissal. it was somehow acceped.
You called him Cruel, I asked if he were so cruel ,and injust why would he wait to receive a punishment he was undeserving of, when he had clear opportunity to leave it behind.
It began with my belief that some of the scriptures were true, and had not been corrupted of men, as at that time like many I believed falsely that they were corrupt and tampered with.
then the more I read turned out to be true.
then things I had been convinced were lies, and alterations turned out true.
Then I ran acros the verses of warning , not to add nor diminish from the scriptures. And I asked myself, did I really trus all of these new age fools who cast all of this doubt on the authenticity of the scriptures? or was it doubt in mankind in General.

To clarify, many people doubt the scriptures, because they presume mankind tampered with what they said., yet they do not hold the same level of doubt in the people who make the accusations in the first place. So I did some investigation myself, I sought out a true translation, and the more I looked, and looked, and looked ,the more I realized, my own doubt with no proof that the text had been altered even one jot or tittle, was just as bad as if I had altered it myself.
I found nothing to demonstrate the text were altered in any way.
just for example, the most popular slander, that the bible was written to controll the masses. yet Scriptures do not paint a flattering picture of those in power. Effective propaganda, does not slam those it is intended to keep in power. and ineffective propaganda, does not remain in existence for well over 3000 years.
I believe every Jot , and every tittle.
I will not add nor diminish from it.
I have learned my lesson.

How so? I have constructed two disproofs of a Literal Bible. One is the six-legged/four-legged locust problem,
praying mantis
and the other is the based on the fact that there is too much variation in modern human Y-chromosomes for them to be derived from just one varient 4000 years ago (i.e., a disproof of the Flood).
its funny how evolutionist claim that rapid genetic change is possible, until it is not in their favor to do so.
Honestly I don't know, It no longer concerns me, I did my own evolutionary research, and the who thing collapsed in my lap like a house of tissue paper.
I also believed the biblical people who lived for hundreds of years actually lived for hundreds of years.
Evolution is an alluring fairy tale, but it no longer interest me, as it is not reducable to its original components.
argue abiogenesis is seperate all you want, it does not function in absence of a system, and every living thing is a system.
sorry off topic

I found the contradictions many years after my deconversion. I was a Christian for 11 years, and I felt nothing. I started practicing Wicca, and wham, I felt something.
I have felt many things for non existent ideas. I had planned on creating fiction my whole life, I was enthralled by it, motivated, by it, and moved by it.
But the thing about Christianity, is that it doesnt just move me, it speaks to me. I see things I have never seen before, know things I should not know.
I spent the majority of my life dismissing it as moral codes, and inconsequential, after all I wasn't as bad as those murderers, or child molesters, or liars.
But I am.
the crucifiction spoke to me, in that it is nothing like any other heroic deed I have ever seen, or have seen since.

Christ did not leap in front of a bullet, he did not die for a meaningful cause, he did not perform any of the traditional or un traditional heroisms.
He did something that made no sense whatsoever.

unless of course it makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
in some cases yes
but I was specifically referring to all other religions as they lead away from Christ.
Well, of course.

yes I have, thats in part how I came to believe the way I do.
Unorthodox, I'll give you that.

That assessment is based on the presumption that the method of salvation is outright an "offer" and not a statement.
Semantics. The events leading up to (and indeed after) the crucifixtion are unnecessary.

by that I mean the route of salvation, is meant for us, not necessarily his chosen method. Remember Christ asked if there were any other way, then he would do it, but not his will, but that of the father.
And as I have said, this limits his omnipotence. By definition there is another way.

I am unaware of any witnesses to mithras.
Nevertheless, there were witnesses to the resurrection of Mithras. Do you doubt their testimony?

However I am aware of Paul's reference to over 500 witnesses of the resurrected Christ, living in corinth (the witnesses)
Wait, none of these witnesses gave their own testimony? Paul merely referenced them when he wrote some decades after the events allegedly took place? Is there any independant, first-hand account of the ressurection of Jesus?

You doubt the ressurection now, if you were living in corinth when this epistle arrived there, would you not ask around?
Would you not seek out these people and ask them if the ressurection was some scam?
yet I am aware of no one that denied it.
think about it, Paul is providing ammo for the first doubters, he is even offering up at least several hundred people ,as examples, If the ressurection did not occur, don't you think that the people who knew it would have said something?
wrote anything?
One word: fraud. What makes you think Paul actually went around asking people for thier testimony?

yet their is no refutation, no argument, no dismissal. it was somehow acceped.
Blind faith has a dangerously powerful influence over humans.

It began with my belief that some of the scriptures were true, and had not been corrupted of men, as at that time like many I believed falsely that they were corrupt and tampered with.
then the more I read turned out to be true.
then things I had been convinced were lies, and alterations turned out true.
Then I ran acros the verses of warning , not to add nor diminish from the scriptures. And I asked myself, did I really trus all of these new age fools who cast all of this doubt on the authenticity of the scriptures? or was it doubt in mankind in General.

To clarify, many people doubt the scriptures, because they presume mankind tampered with what they said., yet they do not hold the same level of doubt in the people who make the accusations in the first place. So I did some investigation myself, I sought out a true translation, and the more I looked, and looked, and looked ,the more I realized, my own doubt with no proof that the text had been altered even one jot or tittle, was just as bad as if I had altered it myself.
I found nothing to demonstrate the text were altered in any way.
just for example, the most popular slander, that the bible was written to controll the masses. yet Scriptures do not paint a flattering picture of those in power. Effective propaganda, does not slam those it is intended to keep in power. and ineffective propaganda, does not remain in existence for well over 3000 years.
I believe every Jot , and every tittle.
I will not add nor diminish from it.
I have learned my lesson.
I see.

praying mantis
I'm sorry?

its funny how evolutionist claim that rapid genetic change is possible, until it is not in their favor to do so.
Where have I claimed this?

Honestly I don't know, It no longer concerns me, I did my own evolutionary research, and the who thing collapsed in my lap like a house of tissue paper.
Irrelevant, though I would be interested to hear your thoughts on Evolutionary theory. I am talking of variation in a single human chromosome. Even the most staunch fundamentalist acknowledges 'microevolution'.

I also believed the biblical people who lived for hundreds of years actually lived for hundreds of years.
Your choice.

Evolution is an alluring fairy tale, but it no longer interest me, as it is not reducable to its original components.
Self-replicating systems + time = systems better at self-replication. What's not to get?

argue abiogenesis is seperate all you want, it does not function in absence of a system, and every living thing is a system.
sorry off topic
Indeed.

I have felt many things for non existent ideas. I had planned on creating fiction my whole life, I was enthralled by it, motivated, by it, and moved by it.
But the thing about Christianity, is that it doesnt just move me, it speaks to me. I see things I have never seen before, know things I should not know.
I spent the majority of my life dismissing it as moral codes, and inconsequential, after all I wasn't as bad as those murderers, or child molesters, or liars.
But I am.
the crucifiction spoke to me, in that it is nothing like any other heroic deed I have ever seen, or have seen since.

Christ did not leap in front of a bullet, he did not die for a meaningful cause, he did not perform any of the traditional or un traditional heroisms.
He did something that made no sense whatsoever.

unless of course it makes perfect sense.
That's nice.

Upvote 0

cookiebaker

May 1, 2007
✟8,011.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Do you also believe those who witnessed the resurrection of Mithras?

How so? I have constructed two disproofs of a Literal Bible. One is the six-legged/four-legged locust problem, and the other is the based on the fact that there is too much variation in modern human Y-chromosomes for them to be derived from just one varient 4000 years ago (i.e., a disproof of the Flood).

hi,

I'm sorry that you didnt seem to experience what you were hoping to in practicing Christianity.....however as I've gotten older i've learned the importance of not just basing things on 'feelings'....feelings are really good at being arbitrary, and arent necessarily grounded on what is right, or good for us. Some people for ex feel great, they really feel something when they take cocaine for example, a friend of my sister's died last year, because she coudnt tear herself away form the feelings she got when she would be high on coke.
I am just saying that basing something on a feeling alone, isnt necessarily going to guide you in the right direction...otoh, 'feeling' something isnt bad either...it's just not reason enough to follow after something

Upvote 0

WiscWiccan

Jul 26, 2007
✟7,613.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Well.....first off, being Wiccan I can tell you that we're NOT possesed by the "devil" or "satan" or whoever you want to refer to. We don't even believe in a "evil" being. It's a Christian concept. We don't need a "evil" being to blame mans "sins" on. The evil that man does is brought about by MAN. We don't ask you to try to save us, because we believe that we don't need saving. We DO believe in God, and many of us even believe in Jesus and all that believing in Him entails. Yes, believe it or not, there ARE Christian Wiccans!
I was a Christian for 40 years. I promoted the Christian faith in every way I could...through publications, ministering to others, and spreading the "Word". But I became very concerned about the path that the Christian church has taken. I saw MANY so called Christians practicing their faith on Sundays (or Saturdays) and putting it off the rest of the days of the week. You know what I mean, and if you don't, your just not paying attention. THESE are the people that you need to pray for. THESE are the people who need saving! To say you're a Christian and then live an unChristian lifestyle is an insult to God AND your religion!
In the Wiccan lifestyle, we believe that you should live a good, wholesome life EVERY DAY.....not just in church. And you shouldn't need the punishment of hell to make you do so.
Yes, there are some that claim to be Wiccan that REALLY are satanist...but the two are further apart than TRUE Wicca and Christians.
You can say what you want about the witchcraft aspect of Wicca. I can sit here and type till my fingers fall off and many of you wouldn't believe it anyways because you've been conditioned to believe otherwise, just like many would believe its a SIN just to THINK about it....remember I was a Christian for MANY years....I questioned MANY things about Wicca, but have many of the answers that I looked for. I cant say that about the Christian faith.
Many Wiccans don't even use "spellcrafting" in practice.
I don't need to be saved....I'm NOT possessed....I dont need to be "born again", I was born just fine the first time.
Also, I have the UPMOST respect for your religion (just not many of the people who claim to practice it) so is it so much to ask that you have some respect for mine?
Brightest Blessings to all of you....
Wisc Wiccan

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
We don't even believe in a "evil" being.
Actually, we do. Both the God and the Goddess have three aspects: the Hunter, Father, and Wise one, and Maiden, Mother, and Crone, respectively. The latter of these triplets are traditionally seen as 'dark', or 'evil' when compared to the other two aspects.
More simply, we do not subscribe to omnibenevolence (well, the fluffy bunnies do). Evil is done by man's hand, yes, but our gods are not hell-bent on trying to remove it.

Yes, there are some that claim to be Wiccan that REALLY are satanist...but the two are further apart than TRUE Wicca and Christians.
Indeed, one of the two forms of Satanism is just a perversion of Christianity (inverted Lord's Prayer, Pauline Crosses, etc).

Many Wiccans don't even use "spellcrafting" in practice.
I dunno, Wiccan Witches are pretty damn common.

Also, I have the UPMOST respect for your religion (just not many of the people who claim to practice it) so is it so much to ask that you have some respect for mine?
To their defense, some of them do believe that their faith calls for our destruction. It's hard to respect something that your god has called an abomination.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.