Visit site
✟11,774.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
My cousin is Pagan, Wiccan, and specifically a Druid. She's one of the nicest, most understanding people I've ever met and she's my closest cousin. Now I've been asking her about her beliefs and common base beliefs of Wiccans. And all the devil worshiping sacrificing babies garbage that's thrown around when a person hears 'Wicca' is false. It's actually a very free and spiritual faith. I'm looking more and more into it myself.

Now what are your views on it?

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
My cousin is Pagan, Wiccan, and specifically a Druid. She's one of the nicest, most understanding people I've ever met and she's my closest cousin. Now I've been asking her about her beliefs and common base beliefs of Wiccans. And all the devil worshiping sacrificing babies garbage that's thrown around when a person hears 'Wicca' is false. It's actually a very free and spiritual faith. I'm looking more and more into it myself.

Completely irrational belief system that is an abomination according to the Christian system.

Reactions: Brennin
Upvote 0

EdtheJesusfreak

Jul 17, 2005
Port Orchard, WA
✟389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Wicca is the worship of a false god, "Mother Earth" if I'm not mistaken. There are plenty of really nice people out there that don't believe in Jesus Christ or have other religious points of view, but that doesn't make them right. You should be seeking truth not just niceness.

Upvote 0

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I think Wicca is repellent, quite apart from identifying it with devil worship.

Upvote 0

KarrieTex

HOOK EM HORNS
Supporter
Nov 2, 2006
Houston, Texas
✟38,214.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

My question is this; why would you come into a Christian section and ask a question of this nature KNOWING that we as Believers would not be supportive of it in any sense?

Side note: This is why I don't like the new formate

Wicca, Paganism et al is not of God and thus we as Christians should "flee from it".

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I see nothing wrong with finding out about your cousin's religion, as long as you are sharing your beliefs with her as well.
I have encountered Wiccans and Druids who are extremely nice, but that does not mean their beliefs are correct.

Reactions: Brennin
Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Well as a Christian I do believe Wicca to be wrong in the sense that I believe it isn't worshipping God.

However, in itself being Wiccan does not make someone immoral, holding Wiccan beliefs does not make a person immoral and Wiccan beliefs (while to me are incorrect) are not intrinsically immoral in themselves. I know many wonderful Wiccans (including my own mother) who are very good, pleasent and loving people and behave in a more "christian" way than many Christians I have met.

I just tend to pray that those who are Wiccan will find the Christian God and spread some of the love, tolerance and general good nature I have found them to have throughout Christianity instead.

Upvote 0

mooduck1

Dec 7, 2006
✟16,270.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Wicca is a Neopaganistic religion that is loosely based on the reported practices of the Druids, and other Pagan sects that would have existed in preChristian Europe. Druidism as the Romans Encountered is a dead religion. Those who call themselves "druids" or "witches" usually are facinated by either Dark ages European History or Mythology, and have tried to resurrect some spirit of the people at a time and a place that they long for. The point is, strictly speaking 'real' druids are no more, and IMO, anyone who calls them self a 'druid' would have a hard time fitting their ways and beliefs with those of first century Druids. While I can honestly say that I never met a Wiccan that I didn't like, the fact that they are really really nice people is irrelevant. Lots of Jews are really nice, so are Lots of Muslims, so are lots of Mormans. None of this makes any of these relgions comparable to Christianity because we believe that 'being nice' is great but it does not save you.

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟22,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Completely irrational belief system that is an abomination according to the Christian system.
rofl. this never gets old. ^_^
My question is this; why would you come into a Christian section and ask a question of this nature KNOWING that we as Believers would not be supportive of it in any sense?
other believers seem to disagree. i've had an exceptionally difficult time reconciling the notion of god with the idea that generally mean people will gain entry to 'his presence' simply because they are 'believers', while other, arguably more deserving people will not. this has troubled me for some time.

Side note: This is why I don't like the new formate
case in point.

Reactions: SallyNow
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

MrPirate

Wicca is a Neopaganistic religion that is loosely based on the reported practices of the Druids, and other Pagan sects that would have existed in preChristian Europe. Druidism as the Romans Encountered is a dead religion. Those who call themselves "druids" or "witches" usually are facinated by either Dark ages European History or Mythology, and have tried to resurrect some spirit of the people at a time and a place that they long for. The point is, strictly speaking 'real' druids are no more, and IMO, anyone who calls them self a 'druid' would have a hard time fitting their ways and beliefs with those of first century Druids. While I can honestly say that I never met a Wiccan that I didn't like, the fact that they are really really nice people is irrelevant. Lots of Jews are really nice, so are Lots of Muslims, so are lots of Mormans. None of this makes any of these relgions comparable to Christianity because we believe that 'being nice' is great but it does not save you.
Just as you would have a hard time fitting your ways and beliefs with those of first and second century Christians.

Upvote 0

Zimfan

Dec 12, 2005
DFW
✟8,753.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just as you would have a hard time fitting your ways and beliefs with those of first and second century Christians.

That might be hard, but not impossible if he has a decent grasp of church history and a working knowledge of one of the two major languages of the Roman Empire (Latin and Greek). Just about all of the books of the New Testament were written in the first century, and most of the basic traditions common to modern Christians (e.g. baptism and communion) would be familiar in concept to early Christians. Much of Christian theology developed from ideas originating in the earliest centuries of Christianity.

On the other hand, the Celtic peoples of the first century haven't left us much in the way of writings, especially about religion. Members of the Druidic class (including not only religious figures but other high status individuals like bards and teachers, if I recall correctly) jealously guarded their secrets, and their teachings were memorized rather than written down. Any attempt to connect the paganism of wiccans today to that of the Celts of the first century(or almost any century since or before) would be difficult, since our knowledge of what they believed is so scanty, and based on conjecture from archaeological evidence and not documents.

Upvote 0
A

Anonoymous

You'd be surprised how much of that is about :sigh:

My favorite are the Christians that want to know what we do with all the bodies from our human sacrifices.

It would be funny if they weren't serious

Reactions: Tenebrae
Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
what, what, what are those?
Paganism is a catch-all term for nature-based faiths. Wicca is one such faith, and is the fastest growing. Druidism is not Wicca, but the two are not mutually exclusive. I'm not as clued up on Druidism as I am on Wicca, but I think the former is soley nature-based, while the latter has two deities to boot.

Oh, and to the OP: I am Wiccan. And for the record, I love babies. I just can't eat a whole one.

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mooduck1

Dec 7, 2006
✟16,270.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

That might be hard, but not impossible if he has a decent grasp of church history and a working knowledge of one of the two major languages of the Roman Empire (Latin and Greek). Just about all of the books of the New Testament were written in the first century, and most of the basic traditions common to modern Christians (e.g. baptism and communion) would be familiar in concept to early Christians. Much of Christian theology developed from ideas originating in the earliest centuries of Christianity.

On the other hand, the Celtic peoples of the first century haven't left us much in the way of writings, especially about religion. Members of the Druidic class (including not only religious figures but other high status individuals like bards and teachers, if I recall correctly) jealously guarded their secrets, and their teachings were memorized rather than written down. Any attempt to connect the paganism of wiccans today to that of the Celts of the first century(or almost any century since or before) would be difficult, since our knowledge of what they believed is so scanty, and based on conjecture from archaeological evidence and not documents.
Agreed. The major difference is the fact that we have extensive written doctumentation of early Christianity, where as the ancient Celts had no written language and so we can only guess based on the writtings of outside sources that DID have written languages that interacted with the Celts what the Celtic cultures and religions were really like. And on THAT point most of my wiccan and druid friends will point of themselves that the Romans were really, really biased since they hated the Peoples of Northern Europe.

Upvote 0
M

MrPirate

That might be hard, but not impossible if he has a decent grasp of church history and a working knowledge of one of the two major languages of the Roman Empire (Latin and Greek).
And just how many Christians can claim any of these things?

Just about all of the books of the New Testament were written in the first century,
Mark, Luke, Matthew and John were all written in the last 30 years of the fist century, some historians put Matthew and John’s authorship in the second century. The bible didn’t take its modern form until 325 when its contents were voted on at the council of Nicaea.

and most of the basic traditions common to modern Christians (e.g. baptism and communion) would be familiar in concept to early Christians. Much of Christian theology developed from ideas originating in the earliest centuries of Christianity.
You might want to check your references on this. Under debate in the early church were things like the divinity of Jesus, the trinity, questions whether women even have souls and fun stuff like that.

On the other hand, the Celtic peoples of the first century haven't left us much in the way of writings, especially about religion. Members of the Druidic class (including not only religious figures but other high status individuals like bards and teachers, if I recall correctly) jealously guarded their secrets, and their teachings were memorized rather than written down.
As for “jealously guard their secrets” I find that one doubtful in any society without written language any such information is handed down in person

Considering the history of the times, the Romans and the early Christians were more interested in control than saving and recording the religious teachings of other people.

Any attempt to connect the paganism of wiccans today to that of the Celts of the first century(or almost any century since or before) would be difficult, since our knowledge of what they believed is so scanty, and based on conjecture from archaeological evidence and not documents.
And if you talk with most any modern practitioner of one of the neo-Pagan traditions they will say about the same thing.
Every religion is cobbled together form bits and pieces of earlier religions, just because a religion is in its formative stages doesn’t make it bad or inferior.

Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the wiccan faith is an recently invented religion that is sorta a "catch" all... that is that anything goes really. I think it's most common feature is the belief in "magic" either white or black, and the preformance of it (which unites them with any religion that has tried to perform magic such a shamans). They most commonly believe in a mother earth goddess called isis I believe, but as far as pagan, commonly there were no other gods mentioned or thought about. They have preistesses in their cults, ect. Does this sound accurate at all? :)

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I think the wiccan faith is an recently invented religion that is sorta a "catch" all... that is that anything goes really. I think it's most common feature is the belief in "magic" either white or black, and the preformance of it (which unites them with any religion that has tried to perform magic such a shamans). They most commonly believe in a mother earth goddess called isis I believe, but as far as pagan, commonly there were no other gods mentioned or thought about. They have preistesses in their cults, ect. Does this sound accurate at all? :)
I thought Isis was an Egyptian goddess, sister wife of Osiris, mother of Horus, sister of Nephthys. Didn't know she had been usurped by modern wiccans.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.