Views on the type of Music and if clapping, dancing, jumping was ok in worship?

mva1985

Senior Veteran
Jun 18, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟19,628.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi I was wondering what type of music was allowed in service. Also if clapping, dancing, or jumping was ok.

Depends on what church you go to. Some churches you will find some clapping maybe a little swaying, raising of the hands.

Other churches will just sing hymns usually not much extra going on during a hymn but singing.

I don't believe you will find an SDA church that would condone out right dancing or jumping up and down during the service.

Upvote 0

moicherie

True Brit
Oct 13, 2005
United Kingdom
✟16,811.00
Faith
SDA
Reverence is not defined by lack of movement. IMO traditionally Adventism has difficulty accepting music outside of the 'european' mode, for a worldwide church hardly any of the hymnal reflects the different cultures in the church which is a shame. If King David attended some of our churches his dancing would probably be frowned upon.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
✟15,249.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lev 19:30Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I [am] the LORD.

Hbr 12:28Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Ya what about David dancing for the Lord? I know people that are christian rock musicians and their fans jump up and down or clap or dance or wave their hand in the air. Some may not be doing it for the Lord but I think a lot are. So how is it wrong when you are dancing or singing christian rock, christian rap, christian pop, or other music?

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
✟15,249.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reverence is not defined by lack of movement. IMO traditionally Adventism has difficulty accepting music outside of the 'european' mode, for a worldwide church hardly any of the hymnal reflects the different cultures in the church which is a shame. If King David attended some of our churches his dancing would probably be frowned upon.

I agree

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mva1985

Senior Veteran
Jun 18, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟19,628.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi I was wondering what type of music was allowed in service. Also if clapping, dancing, or jumping was ok.

Direct answer to your question.

Usually the songs are hymns.

Clapping - you may find this in some churches

Dancing - NO

Jumping - NO

Hope that answers the question.

Upvote 0

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
Queensland the Sunshine state :)
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is an interesting article on Dance. http://artistreeministry.org/portal/article/counsel/adventist/shall-we-dance.html

This is the conclusions.

"Conclusion

There are no indication in the Bible or history that dance was ever a component of divine worship in the Temple, synagogue, or early church. Furthermore, there is no support in the Bible for the kind of romantic or sensual dancing popular today. Nothing in the Bible indicates that men and women ever danced romantically together as couples. Dancing was essentially a social celebration of special events, such as a military victory, a religious festival, or a family reunion. Most of the dancing was done by women who were excluded from the music ministry of God's House, apparently because their entertainment type of music was deemed unsuitable for the worship service.

The lesson that the church today needs to learn from Scripture and history is that secular music associated with entertainment is out of place in God's House. Those who are actively involved in pushing for the adoption of pop music in the church need to understand the biblical distinction between secular music used for entertainment and sacred music suitable for the worship of God. This distinction was understood and respected in Bible times, and it must be respected today if the church is to remain a sacred sanctuary for the worship of God rather than becoming a secular place for social entertainment.

At a time when the distinction between sacred and secular music is blurred, and many are promoting modified versions of secular dancing music for church use, we need to remember that the Bible calls us to "worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness" (1 Chron 16:29; cf. Ps 29:2; 96:9). "

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The article does talk about David dancing before God. And you were talking as part of a church service, that's a whole different thing.

Why do you want to know about christian rock and dancing? Are you feeling convicted about this? I know for a long time I used to love christian rock music, it makes you "feel" connected to God. Personally God convicted me on this and the "natural man" struggled against God's will for quite a while. I would always use the argument that if the words are good then it has to be the actual music itself that is bad/wrong/inappropriate and that just couldn't be! I definately did not understand how this could be the case.

If you really are seeking to know why and how this could be possibly be wrong then you need to do some serious praying because spiritual things are spiritually discerned and the things of God are foolishness to the natrural man. If you are coming in the spirit of pride to "educate" some brothers or touch a controversial subject then nothing productive is going to happen here.

If you are seeking the will of the Lord to do it then you would be wanting to listen to this

http://www.audioverse.org/displayrecording/532/IvorMyers-TheBeastFromTheAbyss
and this
http://www.audioverse.org/displayrecording/530/IvorMyers-EscapeFromTheBlackHole

or if you prefer video here's the same thing on video.

http://www.videoverse.org/displayrecording/532/IvorMyers-TheBeastFromTheAbyss
http://www.videoverse.org/displayrecording/530/IvorMyers-EscapeFromTheBlackHole

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2008
Indiana
✟15,249.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I went to a church camp and we had church services 2 times a day for an hour. Well the last night lasted 5 hours and we were singing christian rock and jumping up and down and dancing and clapping. I just want to know if that is a sin in a SDA mind or if it just is to be discouraged?

Upvote 0

capnator

Jan 20, 2006
✟8,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Capnator there is no evidence Sabbath School, Divine Service and AYS were part of the early church but it does not stop us from having the format. And if you don't want popular music in the church the burn the hymnal. Classical music was not invented by angels.

You should listen to this as well http://www.audioverse.org/displayrecording/532/IvorMyers-TheBeastFromTheAbyss

What I find interesting is this. I grew up in the SDA church went from kindergarten to primary to teens, youth etc around the time I was in primary/teens rock music was starting to be introduced into worship services to I suppose make them more entertaining for the young people and supposedly fix the problem of the youth drifting off into the world and to draw in people into the church with something more pallitable to their worldly tastes.

What were the results of this? At one time you would progress through these age groups, get a good understanding of the bible and end up as part of the main congregation. But now what happened was we progressed from cradle roll to youth and people just stayted in youth. At the annual camp meeting in my early 20's I remember thinking "when do you actually go to the adult tent?" It never happens, they've now started a whole new group called endevour still rockin away... I started noticing that you would go to some of the churches and there would be 2 worship services conservative and one rockin away. Even now we have a split of adventism on this forum! Also interesting this generation started distancing themselves from Ellen White and the health message among other things. This music has been a big factor in bringing about a "Holy revolution" within the church, it has created strife and division.. what spirit do you think is driving it?

Also interesting is that young people have had this style of worship crammed down there throats for so long now that they are turning away from this in droves and are seeking revival and they are distancing themselves from this style of worship.

Make your own mind up on this music but that is my observations about what has been happening in the church

Last edited:
Upvote 0