Syckological

Nov 23, 2012
Behind you.
✟536.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know that it's most people, but enough people will to make me roll my eyes every single time.

You'd be surprised. In my old High School, we could have our laptops to do our work, and light stuff (games) on our free time, so long as it's not during an academic period. I'm playing Counter Strike: Source and they bring a cop to me asking to search me. How about no. I ended up having to explain myself and just barely got by, considering they never mad ea restriction on ratings or content on a video game. The principal and librarian were worried about me being "too good" on the game.

I didn't know 20-5 was "too good". I just have a sponsorship and experience in competitive gaming, but alright I guess I could open fire on the terrorists who are in the lunch-table bunkers.

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0

ChristOurCaptain

Augsburgian Catholic
Feb 14, 2013
✟1,580.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I feel like video games, mainly the violent and shooting ones, are evil. Why are they teaching kids so much violence? From supposed christian gaming companies even.

Nonsensical rant is nonsensical....

Cars are evil! People get killed in, and under them!
Planes are evil! People get killed in them!
etc.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nonsensical rant is nonsensical....

Cars are evil! People get killed in, and under them!
Planes are evil! People get killed in them!
etc.

First time I read over that, I swear it said "Cats are evil". ^_^

Upvote 0

spangeburb

Mar 5, 2013
✟7,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There has been some tests done on video games causing violence and most of them claim they don't. The tests that did claim they cause violence were not done right. for example one of the test was only on male german teenagers who had never played video games before. the test retured more positive results than negative but fox news only told their bias.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I played a lot of video games as a kid (began when I was 9), only on the Nintendo 64 and the Nintendo Gamecube. My parents always checked the ratings. We only played titles that were rated "E" for Everyone, so they were family friendly, and these games generally don't have any unacceptable language or blood in them. They are kid friendly.

A favorite that we still own (its over 20 years old now), is Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie for the Nintendo 64. Both a rated "E" for "Everyone." These two cartridges are the same exact ones we bought over 20 years ago when we were children and we still have them. I sort of look upon them with fond nostalgia and fond memories. There is sentimental value in them. A lot of happy childhood memories surround each.

(You might have noticed that my profile picture on the left of the screen is a blue bird called "Articuno." It is a Pokemon from the video-game series "Pokemon". When I was into the Pokemon craze in the 1990s, I would fervently catch and train this bird to be a fighting machine. It was one of my favorite Pokemon, and for the sake of happy old times I chose it for my picture.)

I am not a violent person, but then again, I have never actually played a rated "M" for Mature title. I have no desire to, even though I am 27 years old as I write this. All the games I have ever played were all rated "E" for "Everyone."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bknight006

Lost in the Multiverse
Jun 14, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I've been playing Halo, 007, and more recently Battlefield for years. I've never physically assaulted anyone, nor have I had any urge to. I'm thoroughly disgusted by murder, shootings, etc (God rest the souls of the victims of the SC Church shooting). Anyways, most violent video games (and I emphasize MOST, not ALL, but MOST) are based around the military, so a lot of the killing is done defending your country and its people. Most of the military ones place a huge emphasis on ethics (as in Halo REACH, where killing a civilian will kill you and start you back at the last checkpoint you reached). Big themes of honor, duty, loyalty, etc are also encouraged.

Now, granted, I wouldn't give Halo or Battlefield to a little kid. Battlefield's storyline can get a little gory at times (there's no gore in actual combat, but in one of the cutscenes in Battlefield 4, your squad leader loses a leg, and they don't conceal any of it). Add to that the intensity of the battles and the STRONG language, and it's not suitable for a little kid. Anybody over 14 should easily be able to handle it if they don't have a serious mental disorder or something.

I read a study that analyzed the brain's reactions to different forms of "violence". Participants were shown real violence, played violent video games, watched simulated violence with real people, and watched animated violence. During this, the researchers scanned the brain to see which areas lit up. Surprisingly enough, the brain can distinguish between real and fake. The video games and fake violence lit up different areas in the brain than the areas that lit up when real violence was shown. So, there is no correlation between violent shows or video games and true violence.

That's pretty interesting. Cool way to test it. Can you provide a link to the study? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bknight006

Lost in the Multiverse
Jun 14, 2015
✟7,877.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Real violence makes people feel sick to their stomach. Nothing drove that point home for me quite like my first successful hunting trip. I'm a gamer - I've played games since I got my hands on my dad's Atari 2600 as a young child.

...Video games are not evil, and they are not made by nameless faceless evil minions of game publishers. They are made primarily by studios of geeks that love to create games and toys...people that work 70+ hours a week to make their Christmas deadline for a product that might not break even, let alone be profitable.

Yeah. I recently watched the D-Day scene from Saving Private Ryan in my history class. I'm a huge gamer; I'm able to watch some of the most brutal stuff from The Last of Us without even cringing; but seeing that one scene of SPR almost had me throwing up because of the realism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I can remember when I had to hold my son in my arms so that he could reach to play PacMan...and I had to keep a couple of rolls of quarters, too.
And how he did love his video games!
But even he got a bit disgusted when realistic gore started splashing around the screen...

Come to think of it, no one in my family is a big fan of Freddy Kruger, either, although we all love spooky movies...

Upvote 0

Speshull Edd

Oct 5, 2015
✟7,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I don't play any video games in front of my children; 2 years and 6 months. I don't even play them in front of my wife. I won all the batman games, most of the assassin's creed games... My wife does like to listen to the story line of the Assassin's creed games...

I own all the GTA games (the 3D ones, so gta3 through 5). The reason i like the games is because they remind me of the gangster movies with all the craziness. now that i am older, i like the story behind the story. In gta5, there is a character named michael who is a retired career criminal who made an under the table deal with the FIB (or FBI) to advance the career of one of the agents. He is pulled back into the chaos when his family acts like a spoiled and stereotypical rich family and leaves him. I watched michael go and try to care for his family the best he could and they all left him because he was selfish. I just saw an unbeliever who was trying to rekindle a love between his family which had become extinguished.

However, with all the craziness in fantasy, science fiction, and fiction today, within all avenues of input, there is no existence of God. In the DC universe, there is no God because of the lack of faith of the city. I personally have not seen any existence of Him. This is especially true when speaking of visiting other worlds, or mentioning Superman or Clark Kent.

My opinion.

Upvote 0

FuzziE

Apr 16, 2017
Kamień
✟7,711.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I feel like video games, mainly the violent and shooting ones, are evil. Why are they teaching kids so much violence? From supposed christian gaming companies even.
Wha- what?!. You probably didn't even play a single game! You don't know how fun they're! Okay, first of all, work: People, developers put lots of work, they work even 7 years on single game! And why they do that some just for money and other to give joy to others, duh, they make joy to others even better than Christmas! Me, as programer make games to give others joy. Okay, now from side of player, why we play games? For fun! Of course, not to hear like media saying stupid crap about it! Also, when i don't make games, i get fortune thanks to them! There are multiple tournaments where you can get even 100.000$ just playing game against others!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tina miller

Apr 16, 2018
Freport
✟17,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ya know money is the root of all evil, so better quit using it than. lol. I really believe it has to do with decrement. Not all music is bad, TV, books, or video games, even people, yet some of it is. Not all people are the best to hang with, than some folks are decent. It really Depends on why you do what you do, because God knows your true motive and you also know right from wrong, when viewing, or listening to something, or someone else. Not all video games are evil, but yes some are evil.

For example: I know that Final Fantasy Lighting returns is bad to play, because they twist and add religions, and they call lighting the game char a savior to save people's souls. God is who saves, and is our savior, so I know deep down that game is bad, and I will never play it. They needed to keep their fake religions to themselves, because it was very offensive, and if find it offensive, than God surly does.

Games like FF XIII and FF XIII-2 for example, not that the game is perfect , there is mild swearing, and mentions of goddess, which I do not believe in..And time travel, like that would never happen, so it is fantasy based.

Just like this world we live in is not perfect, people cuss, even right by my door, for real, and around me, for real. They try to smoke around me, but I leave. lol.
But if they had something to say about God, or was twisting religion. I speak up. even in the real world, there are things evil to stay away from, then there are good things we can have.

It takes decrement to decide what to do, and also the leading of the Holy spirit to guide and direct people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tina miller

Apr 16, 2018
Freport
✟17,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I seen exactly the same! I'm tired but.. still, weird!
video games dont cause violence. i am 13 and play mortal kombat x, though i would recommend not giving to people 9-under

I play games with shooting and I never feel like killing people. As Christians we are to love others, or least try to, sometimes easier said than done with some folks.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’d like to see an apostle game where you go around preaching the gospel and planting churches and maybe sometimes you have to take a beating or get put in prison maybe dodge some stones. Lol

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

My wife teachers third grade and she would agree with you.

A lot of times the kids with the worst problems that are spun out are also addicted to videogames. It gets to be such a heavy addiction for some that it's all they really care about. At times it can even be hard for them to stay calm in a quiet classroom.

Some kids rather than go outside and play would rather be on their video games all weekend.

Letting your children or grandchildren do this too much could be a form of mental and spiritual poison?

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Tina miller

Apr 16, 2018
Freport
✟17,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, I do agree kids should not play violent video games, but as they get older, I do not see an issue with it, unless the adult is unstable, or is mental, than they need some help, but normally this should not be a problem for most folks.

Upvote 0