Very Recently Left Catholicism And Need Advice For Dealing With The Fallout From Catholics

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
John 14.6 is a wonderful verse! :)

This is actually my most favorite verse.

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." John 15:13.

As an EMT, it holds a special place in my heart.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you! That has been about the most charitable any Catholic has been up to this point.

Thats a shame. Sorry for your bad experience. Not every church etc is like that i can assure you.

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is actually my most favorite verse.

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." John 15:13.

As an EMT, it holds a special place in my heart.
I see the Bible ref. is part of your post header, also. It's a reminder of the work of the Lord Jesus in dying at the Cross for His people.

You must have had a lot of moving experiences in the course of your work.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I see the Bible ref. is part of your post header, also.

You must have had a lot of moving experiences in the course of your work.

One can say that, yes.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Thats a shame. Sorry for your bad experience. Not every church etc is like that i can assure you.

I realize that, for sure.

Just most tend not to be charitable, and I get that Catholics believe there's is the true church and there cannot be any room for anything else, but they really do need to be more charitable about things.

One of the things I have learned and am still learning is that not everything is agreed upon and there are difference in what people believe. There is a quote that I have started holding to, “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.” ~St. Augustine.

Many of us can learn a thing or two from that quote.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I realize that, for sure.

Just most tend not to be charitable, and I get that Catholics believe there's is the true church and there cannot be any room for anything else, but they really do need to be more charitable about things.

One of the things I have learned and am still learning is that not everything is agreed upon and there are difference in what people believe. There is a quote that I have started holding to, “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.” ~St. Augustine.

Many of us can learn a thing or two from that quote.

The church i attend is open to everyone. Other denominations are classed as friends, Christians etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
The church i attend is open to everyone. Other denominations are classed as friends, Christians etc.

As was mine, unless you are leaving Catholicism. That is more what I am talking about.

Everything is fine and dandy till that point.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So odd, and sad, to hear something like this. I'm sorry anyone would have to go through that sort of mess. It sounds almost cult like, or like some over-dramatic story about "leaving the Amish". The way we humans treat each other is so often sad, and worse. Pray, read your scripture, and try to avoid contact with those who have treated you like this, that's about all you can do IMHO.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Having very recently left Catholicism and I am getting much blow back from Catholics because I did. Lots of you're going to hell type comments and the Catholic church is the only church that Jesus is in or that he started. My favorites are that I left because of the scandals or the LGBT movement. I will say that I lean liberal in many things, but also conservative in others. I vote independent and not down party lines.

I left because I just don't agree with Catholicism and I was what they considered a cradle Catholic. I have been doing much research into Catholicism over the past few years, reading about the early church fathers and early Christianity and what I have come to realize is that the phrase, "history is written by the victors" is so true! What I see is that they are the true church because they were the first ones to claim it and nothing more.

Also don't believe the old phrase, "Once Catholic, always Catholic." Especially for those who through no choice of their own were baptized Catholic as infants such as I was. Had I been given a choice, I wouldn't have been Catholic. I believe that is just a way to scare you into staying with Catholicism. I am not necessarily against being baptized as an infant, just that the baptism doesn't bind you to one denomination.

So, after realizing that I just don't agree with many things that the Catholic church says, I couldn't stay.

What can I do about these other Catholics coming down so hard on me?

Haven't chosen a church to attend yet, as I didn't go this weekend wanting a break from things and having too much to do around my apartment.

I will say that I want to stay liturgical and am leaning Episcopal.

What can I do about these other Catholics coming down so hard on me?

I just don't agree with many things that the Catholic church says, I couldn't stay.

That's really all that needs to be said .... how they react is up to them.

We (all who believe and follow Jesus) are all brothers and sisters in Christ .... period.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having very recently left Catholicism and I am getting much blow back from Catholics because I did.

Hello Isilwen. When my immediate family and I left the RCC many years ago now there was some measure of hostility towards us from the wider family, indeed we were ostracised by many and some went to their graves never speaking to us again. One great-aunt started false rumours about us. It was desperately sad at the time but in a way though it reinforced our view that we did right to leave.

My advice would be to speak gently and kindly to all. Show the love of Christ to even those who are hostile to you. If you're insulted or lied about then pray blessing for those who insult you.

If they're caught up in the catholic church as a kind of identity, or if they're piously trying to earn their salvation, pray for them and if you have the chance to share the gospel of grace with them, go for it. They might come and ask your advice in certain situations, because they'll be going round in the same circles again and again.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wanted to add that I am leaning more towards the Episcopal church at this time as from the outside currently it seems to tick off more of my boxes of agreement than any other church, plus, my girlfriend is Episcopalian by birth and baptism.

Although, she doesn't attend now and had some issues when she was younger with treatment of an Episcopal priest that wasn't treated fairly in her church, if and when we get married, it would be nice to be on the same page church wise.

TEC (The Episcopal Church) is a solid choice if it ticks the boxes for you. Try some of the local parishes out, sometimes the situation on the ground in the church is different than it seems from the official statements or perception. Sometimes one parish will meet your needs where another does not.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I simply wouldn't worry about it. I don't do Catholic for plenty of reasons and I'm not the least bit concerned about going to Hell, it's just not biblical you/we will.

You might say, that's easy for me to say, and you would be right. :) I've seen enough here on this board alone to turn me against it, even if I were not against it already.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what the Episcopal Church is like in the USA, but being Anglican, it will be pretty much along the same lines as the Church of England, where I am a member.

The Anglican church is very broad. You will find churches that are evangelical, have a more informal approach to the liturgy, and have modern hymns led by worship groups. And you'll find other churches which are theologically closer to Catholicism. And of course you've got all the different expressions of Anglicanism inbetween. I'm sure you'll find a church you feel at home in.

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
i'm not catholic but i have a problem with them seeming to put Mary over God and Jesus. mother of God and all. and praying to her. she was the greatest of all women but still a human.

Upvote 0