Very Recently Left Catholicism And Need Advice For Dealing With The Fallout From Catholics

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Having very recently left Catholicism and I am getting much blow back from Catholics because I did. Lots of you're going to hell type comments and the Catholic church is the only church that Jesus is in or that he started. My favorites are that I left because of the scandals or the LGBT movement. I will say that I lean liberal in many things, but also conservative in others. I vote independent and not down party lines.

I left because I just don't agree with Catholicism and I was what they considered a cradle Catholic. I have been doing much research into Catholicism over the past few years, reading about the early church fathers and early Christianity and what I have come to realize is that the phrase, "history is written by the victors" is so true! What I see is that they are the true church because they were the first ones to claim it and nothing more.

Also don't believe the old phrase, "Once Catholic, always Catholic." Especially for those who through no choice of their own were baptized Catholic as infants such as I was. Had I been given a choice, I wouldn't have been Catholic. I believe that is just a way to scare you into staying with Catholicism. I am not necessarily against being baptized as an infant, just that the baptism doesn't bind you to one denomination.

So, after realizing that I just don't agree with many things that the Catholic church says, I couldn't stay.

What can I do about these other Catholics coming down so hard on me?

Haven't chosen a church to attend yet, as I didn't go this weekend wanting a break from things and having too much to do around my apartment.

I will say that I want to stay liturgical and am leaning Episcopal.
Hmm, I left the RCC for over 25 years. Never heard word one from anyone about it. Much later I would study also, and early fathers were instrumental in bringing me back. As far as the victors go, Catholicism claimed to be the true church, together with the Eastern churches, from the beginning, taking what was received and carrying it down through the centuries, then assembling the canon of scripture in the 4th century, defending the Trinity at Nicaea, and placing grace above all else at Orange. Etc, etc. And to tell you the truth I don't see any victorious church at this point, fragmented as it is. There should still be one, shouldn't there be?

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
As far as the victors go, Catholicism claimed to be the true church, together with the Eastern churches, from the beginning, taking what was received and carrying it down through the centuries, then assembling the canon of scripture in the 4th century, defending the Trinity at Nicaea, and placing grace above all else at Orange. Etc, etc

Thank you for proving my point that history is written by the victors. It doesn't mean that it is true however.

And to tell you the truth I don't see any victorious church at this point, fragmented as it is. There should still be one, shouldn't there be?

There is a victorious church for sure. However, I know that it is futile to even talk about it as most won't see it in that way.

I have made my choice, I have left the Catholic church and that fact will not change! I will more than likely become Episcopalian and that is my journey to undertake.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for proving my point that history is written by the victors. It doesn't mean that it is true however.
It wasn't much in the way of proof. The church just continued on its own journey from where it began, stumbling sometimes, but without too much competition in the beginning except for controversies here and there-and persecutions. Would it be better for the church not to defend the faith?
There is a victorious church for sure. However, I know that it is futile to even talk about it as most won't see it in that way.
I know-that invisible one.
I have made my choice, I have left the Catholic church and that fact will not change! I will more than likely become Episcopalian and that is my journey to undertake.
Your journey will be a step nearer to truth in any case-and maybe it will end wherever you step next. For myself I never expected to backtrack, but I did. Life isn't predictable, fortunately, or else it would all depend on me and what I know right now. Who knows, maybe I'll join those Episcopalian folk too one of these days. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Having rejected the one Church founded by Jesus Christ, which He said was to remain one, to which He promised the fullness of God's truth until the end of time, what criteria did you use to select one of 6,000+ conflicting unauthorized manmade denominations of Protestantism?

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Having rejected the one Church founded by Jesus Christ, which He said was to remain one, to which He promised the fullness of God's truth until the end of time, what criteria did you use to select one of 6,000+ conflicting unauthorized manmade denominations of Protestantism?

Not going to bother to tell you beyond I do not believe it is the one true church. There is so much more than that, but that is all I will say and it will have to suffice!

I have left the Catholic church. That is what I have done and I am not turning back.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Having very recently left Catholicism and I am getting much blow back from Catholics because I did. Lots of you're going to hell type comments and the Catholic church is the only church that Jesus is in or that he started. My favorites are that I left because of the scandals or the LGBT movement. I will say that I lean liberal in many things, but also conservative in others. I vote independent and not down party lines.

I left because I just don't agree with Catholicism and I was what they considered a cradle Catholic. I have been doing much research into Catholicism over the past few years, reading about the early church fathers and early Christianity and what I have come to realize is that the phrase, "history is written by the victors" is so true! What I see is that they are the true church because they were the first ones to claim it and nothing more.

Also don't believe the old phrase, "Once Catholic, always Catholic." Especially for those who through no choice of their own were baptized Catholic as infants such as I was. Had I been given a choice, I wouldn't have been Catholic. I believe that is just a way to scare you into staying with Catholicism. I am not necessarily against being baptized as an infant, just that the baptism doesn't bind you to one denomination.

So, after realizing that I just don't agree with many things that the Catholic church says, I couldn't stay.

Haven't chosen a church to attend yet, as I didn't go this weekend wanting a break from things and having too much to do around my apartment.

My father grew up Catholic, studied to become a priest, began to disagree with some key Catholic teachings during his studies, and left. He never became a priest. Afterwards, he met my mom. I have a Catholic side of the family, and a Protestant side of the family. Any and all drama over his conversion to Protestantism seemed to have died down by the time I came along. In addition to what he taught me, I've done my own reading on the subject.

You need to be able to articulate your differences, and why your differences are in fact Biblical and historical. That won't be good enough for many Catholics, but at least they won't be able to argue with you outside of appeals to authority, which to them isn't fallacious when it would be in any other context. And if you can disarm that argument, they have nothing.

You also have your testimony. Since my father left Catholicism, he has been the most devout out of all his siblings. He is the only one who never got drunk. He is the only one of them who has not divorced. He is likely the only one of them who did not fornicate. If Catholics were to use the argument of knowing a tree by its fruit fairly, they would see the fruit in his life.

He has in fact kept contact with them, and we have gone to the Catholic church for baptisms and funerals. He affirms that his siblings believe the Gospel too (though I have serious doubts about my cousins). He's not a crazy anti-Catholic.

In those respects, I strongly recommend that you emulate my father. I hope that you will find a church home that blesses you. We've been non-denominational growing up.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My father grew up Catholic, studied to become a priest, began to disagree with some key Catholic teachings during his studies, and left. He never became a priest. Afterwards, he met my mom. I have a Catholic side of the family, and a Protestant side of the family. Any and all drama over his conversion to Protestantism seemed to have died down by the time I came along. In addition to what he taught me, I've done my own reading on the subject.

You need to be able to articulate your differences, and why your differences are in fact Biblical and historical. That won't be good enough for many Catholics, but at least they won't be able to argue with you outside of appeals to authority, which to them isn't fallacious when it would be in any other context. And if you can disarm that argument, they have nothing.

You also have your testimony. Since my father left Catholicism, he has been the most devout out of all his siblings. He is the only one who never got drunk. He is the only one of them who has not divorced. He is likely the only one of them who did not fornicate. If Catholics were to use the argument of knowing a tree by its fruit fairly, they would see the fruit in his life.

He has in fact kept contact with them, and we have gone to the Catholic church for baptisms and funerals. He affirms that his siblings believe the Gospel too (though I have serious doubts about my cousins). He's not a crazy anti-Catholic.

In those respects, I strongly recommend that you emulate my father. I hope that you will find a church home that blesses you. We've been non-denominational growing up.
To be fair, you're speaking of one person. Statistically divorce rates are lower for Catholics than Protestants. Alcoholism rate differences are less well defined.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
To be fair, you're speaking of one person. Statistically divorce rates are lower for Catholics than Protestants. Alcoholism rate differences are less well defined.
Irrelevant to the point I was making.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, what point then? By their fruits you will know them?
That's part of it. What I was getting at is he does a lot of things Catholics are supposed to do better than the actual Catholics in his family. That should speak well of him. Say the sides were switched. If a Catholic meeting that description were to be used as an example of bearing good fruit, and if Matthew 7:17-18 is going to be quoted to show the Catholic to be a good tree, then my father deserves the same recognition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe that through my Catholic baptism, that while it doesn't tie me to Catholicism, it does indeed qualify as a born again experience. I realize that there is some debate about that, and what constitutes a born again experience, but I am firm on that stance.

I am a Christian by baptism and born again by baptism.

I believe that one cannot even have faith without the Word of God (Scripture).

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
(Romans 10:17).​

We are born again by the Spirit and by water (i.e. water = the communicated Word of God) (See Ephesians 5:25-27; For it says that we are sanctified by the washing of the water of the Word, i.e. Scripture).

We are born again by the incorruptible Word of God.

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." (1 Peter 1:23).​

For when I accepted Jesus as my Savior, and sought His forgiveness and believed on His death and resurrection for salvation, I knew that the Word of God (the Bible) was a living and spiritual book (unlike any other). The more I read it, the more truths (confirmed by real world examples) were presented to me in my life. I had a love, joy, peace like I had never known before when I sought forgiveness with the Lord Jesus and i wanted everyone to experience the same thing I had. I used to be an atheist, but GOD had other plans for me. It was like I was transformed overnight. I was touched by the Lord in my heart and I was changed. This to me is the born again experience. My baptism was many years later and it was not something transformational for me. I think baptism can be something Christians do as a part of receiving Christ, but I do not see baptism as the trigger to faith in Christ and or in receiving Him (Whereby we are regenerated spiritually or born again).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Bible is my authority, and not a church. I do believe in partaking of the Lord's supper, but I do not believe the Lord's supper is done so as to maintain our salvation based on what the Bible says. Neither do I see water baptism as a thing that saves, either (According to the Bible). Nowhere does the Scriptures clearly or plainly teach that these things are for salvation. Yet, the Episcopal church teaches that water baptism, and the Eucharist play a part in the salvation process. I do believe we are saved by God's grace through faith + Sanctification (works of faith by GOD working through us), but I see this as obedience to the commands in the NT and not any kind of obedience to some kind of church tradition or something. In the New Testament, I do not really clearly see how ceremonies or rituals save in any way (unlike the Old Testament with the Sabbath, and circumcision, etc.).

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you live on the Eastern Seaboard, a Trinitarian Sola Scriptura church that believes that Salvation = "God's grace through faith + Sanctification" is called:

Christ's Sanctified Holy church.

Christ's Sanctified Holy Church-Holiness unto the Lord

Upvote 0

xBladesx

May 18, 2005
✟21,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
At the end of the day it doesn't really matter which specific church or denomination you go to.
What matters is have you received Jesus as you Lord and savior and will you grow in that church?

As far as your friends go I kind of know what you going through.
I left the church I grew up in and went to another (kind of like leaving the nest)
Some of my friends at the old church there went cold and sour towards me after

Keep praying for them and showing them God's love when you meet them as hard as it may be but don't let them influence the choice you made
Let the Holy Spirit guide you

Upvote 0

spiritualchristian7

Aug 6, 2019
NCR
✟16,028.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I was in the same situation as you.
You know what I did? I prayed to God to show me the truth.
He eventually did. It was a process.

Just pray for it. and hold on to your faith.
He will answer you eventually.
maybe it'll take you days,weeks,months,years
but someday you'll definitely look back on that prayer

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can only apologise on behalf of other catholics if they are giving you a hard time.
I do find it odd, because the door really is always open to leave!

I experienced the opposite:
I came in from outside at least in large part because of early church writings. There is equally no call for the demonstrable hostility non catholics give those entering the catholic church, or those already there either!

I wish you well, wherever you end up.

The question you now must resolve is how your new church - wherever that may be - can lay claim to descendancy from , or compatibility with early church, which is tenuous at best for most of them.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0