Verizon Domestic Violence Vid

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Im not saying that they are bad. I dont care if they run 24/7....I just think they are a waste of time.

Whose awareness is getting raised? Whats the benefit? AND most importantly, are they telling the agenda free truth in what they are supposedly making people aware of?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
CCADA | Christian response to domestic violence and abuse | Statistics

28% of marriages contain physical violence, 50-56% contain abuse in some form. 3,4

• 44% of women in domestic abuse relationships are raped by their abuser. Some studies estimate that rape occurs in as many as 70% of these relationships. 6,7

• Divorce rate for non-abused women is 15%, the rate for abused is 75%.3

It is estimated that over 3.3 million of American children witness intimate partner violence (IPV) within their families. Witnessing violence is a risk factor for long-term physical and mental health problems, including alcohol and substance abuse, being a victim of abuse, and perpetrating IPV. 10

People with strong religious beliefs stay longer in abusive relationships because it gets mixed up with their faith beliefs.3

As Sailor mentioned earlier.....it's difficult to find current stats.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You know Cons, when I was typing "raising awareness" I knew my wording was wrong because I actually was thinking what you wrote here... the awareness is here... we do know. I apologize for my wording.

What you wrote above that I bolded... that right there is where the time and money need to go to... intervention. Instead of hearing that if you live in an abusive home you will more than likely be abused or abusive yourself (to me that does not raise hopes) but how about telling people that the abusive cycle can and is broken every day. That you (general you) don't have to keep the cycle going... you (general you) can rise above it.

I wasnt snarking you there....you generally answer things in a way i understand, so I thought Id ask you what the benefit of awareness raising was.

Good stuff, thanks

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
CCADA | Christian response to domestic violence and abuse | Statistics

As Sailor mentioned earlier.....it's difficult to find current stats.

I hope people read the first sentence and close the page. That statement is so horribly inaccurate, and so much hay has been made from it, its a joke, truly a joke, and 60 seconds of quiet thinking should give anyone with common sense no need to even research such a stupid statement.

But, I will post the stats that show how stupid it is.....

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ALL violence is responsible for about 3% of women's INJURY-RELATED visits to emergency rooms, and domestic violence for about 1%. Since fewer than a third of women's emergency-room visits are injury-related, this means that domestic violence accounts for fewer than 0.3% of these visits. While it is possible that some domestic violence cases were not identified in the study, it is noteworthy that its estimates include not only positively established but probable cases of violence from injuries. [16] [That means that even these low numbers are quite likely over-estimated with respect to them being caused by domestic violence -WHS]

Statistics released by the Centers for Disease Control last March, in a report titled "National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 1992 Emergency Department Summary," show that the leading cause of injury, to both women and men, is accidental falls, followed by motor vehicle accidents. According to the CDC, 13.6[%] of injuries to women seen in emergency room are from car accidents-a total of nearly 2 million, or almost 10 times the number of injuries from domestic violence.

Bonnie Campbell, director of the Justice Department's Violence Against Women Office, has said that the numbers provide "sobering proof" that domestic violence is underreported. In fact, according to projections from the study, 204,129 women and 38,790 men annually seek emergency-room treatment from injuries related to domestic violence. These are disturbing numbers. But they also show that domestic violence advocates, politicians, and the media have consistently exaggerated the scope of the problem. The pamphlets, brochures, and other literature distributed by battered women's advocacy groups commonly assert that:

• 20% to 35% of women who visit medical emergency rooms are there for injuries related to domestic violence;
  • battering is "the leading cause of injury to American women," or to women 15 to 44;
  • domestic abuse causes more injuries to women than rape, auto accidents, and muggings combined;
These claims have been repeated by major news organizations including Newsweek, Time, The Washington Post, and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. They have been cited by the American Medical Association and by the Department of Health and Human Services, by the Senate Judiciary Committee, and by President Clinton.
The new Justice Department numbers show that ALL violence is responsible for about 3% of women's INJURY-RELATED visits to emergency rooms, and domestic violence for about I%. Since fewer than a third of women's emergency-room visits are injury-related, this means that domestic violence accounts for fewer than 0.3% of these visits. While it is possible that some domestic violence cases were not identified in the study, it is noteworthy that its estimates include not only positively established but probable cases of violence from injuries.
Statistics released by the Centers for Disease Control last March, in a report titled "National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 1992 Emergency Department Summary," show that the leading cause of injury, to both women and men, is accidental falls, followed by motor vehicle accidents. According to the CDC, 13.6[%] of injuries to women seen in emergency room are from car accidents-a total of nearly 2 million, or almost 10 times the number of injuries from domestic violence.
Indeed, CDC numbers show that more than twice as many women visit emergency rooms due to being injured by an animal (459,000 a year) than by a male partner.
The Justice Department report does confirm that women are much more likely than men to be physically harmed by an intimate partner. However, it shows that men account for about 16% of injuries from domestic violence, contradicting the common claim that 95% of abuse victims are women. The report also notes that the numbers should be treated with some caution because, for 35% of men with violent injuries (compared to only 20% of the women) the victim-offender relationship was not identified. It may be that because of cultural norms, men are reluctant to disclose that they were assaulted by a female partner.
Furthermore, the Justice Department numbers clearly show, as do other statistics, that the primary victims of interpersonal violence in the United States are men: in this study, men accounted for 60% of patients with injuries from violence.
"For years, claims about the horrific scope of violence against women have been used by the ideologues to portray American society as a violent patriarchy in which women are constantly under assault by male terrorism, and the greatest threat to women is the men in their lives," said Cathy Young, vice-president of the Women's Freedom Network. "The Justice Department numbers show what critics of gender-war feminism have been saying for some time: the numbers have been exaggerated to serve an ideological agenda and promote policies that create a virtual presumption of guilt in domestic abuse cases. Domestic violence, and the level of violence in our society in general, needs to be addressed. "But there is no need to distort the truth or to foster division between the sexes."

COMMON SENSE & DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, #1

Follow all links to sub-sources

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The point is two fold

That starting stat was the biggest low hanging fruit feminists were ever handed. That bumbling Koop should have been prosecuted for even saying it. BUT hear this (especially whoever says the church is not feminized)

Take that 1st sentence on mks link and paste it into Google directly.....you will find pages and pages of faith based organizations and church groups and white papers by pastorates etc using that for strategy against DV in the church, spreading LIES into the body.

Upvote 0

Lilymay

Veteran
Oct 23, 2006
USA
✟13,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I wasnt snarking you there....you generally answer things in a way i understand, so I thought Id ask you what the benefit of awareness raising was.

Good stuff, thanks

I know you weren't snarking (snark/ing... never heard that word until getting on forums... that word makes me chuckle for some odd reason.)

I do agree the awareness is there... maybe going beyond that would be helpful.

I do agree with keeping the "tell someone" ads... especially for younger people like teenagers. Like if your kid knew another kid who was being abused at home... your kid might fear telling, like he/she would be betraying their friend ya know.

And, again, I am big on the "the cycle can be broken". I know from your testimony it was broke with you cons, it was broke with me, it was broke with my husband... and how many others. We as people are better than that and people need to hear that.

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know you weren't snarking (snark/ing... never heard that word until getting on forums... that word makes me chuckle for some odd reason.)

I do agree the awareness is there... maybe going beyond that would be helpful.

I do agree with keeping the "tell someone" ads... especially for younger people like teenagers. Like if your kid knew another kid who was being abused at home... your kid might fear telling, like he/she would be betraying their friend ya know.

And, again, I am big on the "the cycle can be broken". I know from your testimony it was broke with you cons, it was broke with me, it was broke with my husband... and how many others. We as people are better than that and people need to hear that.

I think the testimony of folks is far better than awareness raising. Testimony, pure, raw.....awareness raising, huge risk of agenda, and lots of participation by people with little or no experience, or worse exaggerated or made up experience, trying to busy body others

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟65,046.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Im not saying that they are bad. I dont care if they run 24/7....I just think they are a waste of time.

Whose awareness is getting raised? Whats the benefit? AND most importantly, are they telling the agenda free truth in what they are supposedly making people aware of?

If You Could See Yourself Would You See Abuse? Was a recent ad campaign run over this side of the pond aimed at tackling the growing problem of violence in teenage relationships.

I'm surprised to see you dismissing awareness raising tbh. One of the papers I've read (sorry WWC, can't remember which one, I've read a lot recently :D), reported that men often didn't identify what happened to them as abuse. That speaks to me of a need to see awareness raising adverts with the focus on men as victims. The aforementioned is also true of some women btw. Alongside that, there can be a belief that the abuse is deserved. That the victim really did bring the attack upon his or herself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Citation of professing Christians or of abuse?

Walking into a church is not experiencing "the redemptive blood of Christ." It takes more than that (and I am not saying works + grace, either)....but, one must BELIEVE what God has said....what Christ died for. There has to be a regenerate mind.

As far as "in the world".....one doesn't have to obtain the level of "sinless, perfected saint" in order to NOT abuse. Learning other ways to cope with frustration is a great start. Learning that they are worth more than to act out in destructive ways....that it hurts them (the abusive one) as well. I don't know "counseling techniques", but I would be willing to bet that any counseling that teaches alternative ways to deal with frustration and understanding that controlling another person is not helpful would help to overcome the issue.

You made the point of the coincidence of Christianity and DV, so I suggest a source citing the same coincidence. Find a study regarding devout Christians and DV.

Jesus died for the sins of ALL mankind, even the ones who are unrepentant, abusive, unregenerate "monsters". Maybe we should track with this advertisement and just go ahead and condemn many men as worthlessly incorrigible and that they have no hope in Christ.

Ah, "raising awareness", a solution, compliments of hell.

I don't have problem identifying the problem as long as we don't forget what the real solution is (and it isn't "raising awareness"). Wasn't Satan just raising Eve's awareness when he convinced her to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and to decide for herself? "Awareness" can be overrated.

Why not start a Men's Prison Ministry? Maybe that would help raise "awareness"?

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
(Mat 25:34-40)

Upvote 0

Lilymay

Veteran
Oct 23, 2006
USA
✟13,176.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think the testimony of folks is far better than awareness raising. Testimony, pure, raw.....awareness raising, huge risk of agenda, and lots of participation by people with little or no experience, or worse exaggerated or made up experience, trying to busy body others

Yes... testimonies are good. Letting people know they are not alone, that they don't have to stay broken... that they can rise above and thrive.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I just now hit 50 posts. Before that I couldn't post a link, sorry.

If you want to pick that single post out as my work here I could see a fair use issue. If you look at that quote as part of the ongoing discussion it is much smaller and was cited.

And yeah, oh brother.
I didn't spot that you only had a few posts. My bad.
:)

I think that raising awareness about domestic violence is not a bad. thing per se. The problem is what you are encouraging people to do about it. Like for example:

Back when I was single before, I was sleeping in my apartment and I woke up to hear a terrific shouting, yelling, things smashing, and I heard a woman screaming just shrieking, "Get out, leave me alone, don't touch me!" Heart racing, I grabbed the lead pipe I kept for home defense and went to the door; I was thinking "call the cops first or stop it first?" but she kept screaming, "No, get away from me!" so I went out into the hall. It was only when I got to the door it was coming from that I could hear the lower male voice saying, "Listen, calm down, I just want to talk to you." I realized after a bit that it was her being ANGRY at him, not afraid or anything, and that SHE was doing all the smashing of furniture and stuff. I realized that they weren't fighting or anything and left and went back to my bed, to reduce my adrenaline and try to get some sleep.

My point is that it is not about whether or not videos for awareness of domestic violence should exist, it is about whether they are helpful in dealing with it, or even in identifying it.
I think as long as they have some sort of balanced view of reality, sure. They could be effective.

If we in the US can have a campaign to wipe out littering that was and is highly effective, why can't we do the same with DV?

If You Could See Yourself Would You See Abuse? Was a recent ad campaign run over this side of the pond aimed at tackling the growing problem of violence in teenage relationships.

I'm surprised to see you dismissing awareness raising tbh. One of the papers I've read (sorry WWC, can't remember which one, I've read a lot recently :D), reported that men often didn't identify what happened to them as abuse. That speaks to me of a need to see awareness raising adverts with the focus on men as victims. The aforementioned is also true of some women btw. Alongside that, there can be a belief that the abuse is deserved. That the victim really did bring the attack upon his or herself.
:cool:

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
ALL violence is responsible for about 3% of women's INJURY-RELATED visits to emergency rooms, and domestic violence for about 1%. Since fewer than a third of women's emergency-room visits are injury-related, this means that domestic violence accounts for fewer than 0.3% of these visits. While it is possible that some domestic violence cases were not identified in the study, it is noteworthy that its estimates include not only positively established but probable cases of violence from injuries. [16] [That means that even these low numbers are quite likely over-estimated with respect to them being caused by domestic violence -WHS]

Bonnie Campbell, director of the Justice Department's Violence Against Women Office, has said that the numbers provide "sobering proof" that domestic violence is underreported. In fact, according to projections from the study, 204,129 women and 38,790 men annually seek emergency-room treatment from injuries related to domestic violence. These are disturbing numbers. But they also show that domestic violence advocates, politicians, and the media have consistently exaggerated the scope of the problem. The pamphlets, brochures, and other literature distributed by battered women's advocacy groups commonly assert that:

• 20% to 35% of women who visit medical emergency rooms are there for injuries related to domestic violence;
  • battering is "the leading cause of injury to American women," or to women 15 to 44;
  • domestic abuse causes more injuries to women than rape, auto accidents, and muggings combined;
These claims have been repeated by major news organizations including Newsweek, Time, The Washington Post, and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. They have been cited by the American Medical Association and by the Department of Health and Human Services, by the Senate Judiciary Committee, and by President Clinton.
The new Justice Department numbers show that ALL violence is responsible for about 3% of women's INJURY-RELATED visits to emergency rooms, and domestic violence for about I%. Since fewer than a third of women's emergency-room visits are injury-related, this means that domestic violence accounts for fewer than 0.3% of these visits. While it is possible that some domestic violence cases were not identified in the study, it is noteworthy that its estimates include not only positively established but probable cases of violence from injuries.
Indeed, CDC numbers show that more than twice as many women visit emergency rooms due to being injured by an animal (459,000 a year) than by a male partner.
The Justice Department report does confirm that women are much more likely than men to be physically harmed by an intimate partner. However, it shows that men account for about 16% of injuries from domestic violence, contradicting the common claim that 95% of abuse victims are women. The report also notes that the numbers should be treated with some caution because, for 35% of men with violent injuries (compared to only 20% of the women) the victim-offender relationship was not identified. It may be that because of cultural norms, men are reluctant to disclose that they were assaulted by a female partner.
Furthermore, the Justice Department numbers clearly show, as do other statistics, that the primary victims of interpersonal violence in the United States are men: in this study, men accounted for 60% of patients with injuries from violence.
"For years, claims about the horrific scope of violence against women have been used by the ideologues to portray American society as a violent patriarchy in which women are constantly under assault by male terrorism, and the greatest threat to women is the men in their lives," said Cathy Young, vice-president of the Women's Freedom Network. "The Justice Department numbers show what critics of gender-war feminism have been saying for some time: the numbers have been exaggerated to serve an ideological agenda and promote policies that create a virtual presumption of guilt in domestic abuse cases. Domestic violence, and the level of violence in our society in general, needs to be addressed. "But there is no need to distort the truth or to foster division between the sexes."

COMMON SENSE & DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, #1

Follow all links to sub-sources
Very interesting indeed.

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You made the point of the coincidence of Christianity and DV, so I suggest a source citing the same coincidence. Find a study regarding devout Christians and DV.

Jesus died for the sins of ALL mankind, even the ones who are unrepentant, abusive, unregenerate "monsters". Maybe we should track with this advertisement and just go ahead and condemn many men as worthlessly incorrigible and that they have no hope in Christ.

I don't have problem identifying the problem as long as we don't forget what the real solution is (and it isn't "raising awareness"). Wasn't Satan just raising Eve's awareness when he convinced her to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and to decide for herself? "Awareness" can be overrated.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Good idea, I was a prison minister in Texas. Guess I still am officially, I just dont live there.

You picked an excellent example, it is layers of good

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟65,046.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
20% to 35% of women who visit medical emergency rooms are there for injuries related to domestic violence;

Just tell the nurse you slipped and fell
It starts to sting as it starts to swell
She looks at you
She wants the Truth
Its right out there in the waiting room

Upvote 0

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think of myself in some lights to be in "Mens Ministry". I can see guys struggling with providing for their families while be in a constant state of fear that their wives will bail on them if the fail (in even minor ways). If they don't get their young wives all of the "bling" the world tells them they deserve. Have a failing with porn, your marriage is doomed (and it's all your fault). Get angry, you are abusive and a lowdown jerk worthy of hell. Even notice a pretty women in a public place (off to counseling with you!) I see much of this is just a direct attack on Christian men. When the worlds message is dragged through the aisles at Church that only makes it that much WORSE.

I find that much of my encouragement of them comes along with refuting a lot of the "Christian" feminist nonsense. I was raised around women forced to "submit" and I don't need much more "awareness" on that topic. I know quite well the problems that men face as I have reaped the fruits of so much of it (through ALL kinds of abuse). What I don't see is women trying to walk a mile in the shoes of men. Jesus loves the unlovely (or I wouldn't be here), the "Christian" feminists have "discovered" a loophole to His instruction, men.

Don't want to forgive men, even the abusive ones? I didn't, but I went ahead anyway. If I hadn't I would have cut myself off from the blood of Christ.

Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt. But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest. And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

(Mat 18:23-35)

I think some people have forgotten what it is they have been forgiven of.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My point was that since many profess Christianity, here in the US, one would think the stats would reflect that. One stat did say that those with religious ties *did* stay longer in an abusive marriage. To me, that doesn't say that those marriages were "healed by Christ's redemptive blood".....to me, that says the marriage finally ended, due to the abuse---but, took longer than if there weren't religious ties.

Jesus died for the sins of ALL mankind, even the ones who are unrepentant, abusive, unregenerate "monsters".
Absolutely! I agree.....He died for them....His blood covers their sin....however, if they never do repent---where does that leave them? Not WITH Christ---right? Jesus spoke of hardened hearts.....hearts of stone....and the uncircumcised hearts. Even God lays out conditions for those that are in fellowship with Him.

The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, 7 keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children’s children to the third and the fourth generation.”~ Exodus 34

Maybe we should track with this advertisement and just go ahead and condemn many men as worthlessly incorrigible and that they have no hope in Christ.

I don't see it as condemnation of the men....in fact, I believe it has very little to do with the men at all. I think it's probably more about helping the women detach a bit from the men in order to see clearly. You have heard about people that have been kidnapped and held captive for many years...right? Ones that haven't been treated well, have had opportunities to flee, but never did.....right? They had become oddly attached to their captors over the years. How much more so do you think that happens when one is being abused by one they CHOSE to marry? One that is the father of their children? One that has many moments of demonstrating loving actions....one that they share memories with? IMO...it's zeroing in on the need for someone to break the cycle...the urgency of it.

Upvote 0