Verifiable, Orderly, & Timely Election Results (VOTER) Act

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because our friend was calling it all some sort of conspiracy and would definitely invalidate his vote, which has already been cast. This despite the fact that no one else can figure why any of that would be so.
It's really not that hard. There are two means by which his already-cast vote could be invalidated by this bill.

1. By state law, Illinois does not begin counting ballots until after election day. By the wording of this bill, that means that they would have 24 hours total to tally all mail-in ballots. Anything remaining would be invalidated. If his ballot were at the bottom of the pile, it's conceivable that it might not be reached before the 24 hour deadline, and would therefore be tossed out.

2. This bill also requires all ballots to be signed. Illinois does not require you to sign the ballot. Rather, you sign an envelope that the ballot is placed in. Since his ballot is already submitted, if the law were to pass as written, it would be invalid because the ballot itself is not signed - because it was not supposed to be.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Because our friend was calling it all some sort of conspiracy and would definitely invalidate his vote, which has already been cast. This despite the fact that no one else can figure why any of that would be so.
Read the bill.

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't see any invitation for fraud concerning unsigned ballets? Just put in a stack of other unsigned ballots not in their signed envelopes... viola!

Then how do you keep people from cheating?

When, in your life, have you ever signed a ballot? I mean, if they can stick a bunch of fraudulent "unsigned" mail in ballots with the legitimate ones, what is to stop them from adding a bunch of fraudulent "unsigned" ballots that were done in person? Your objection doesn't really make any sense. Particularly since I never signed any of the absentee ballots I sent in back in the 70s, or since -- it isn't as if this is some "sudden" change.

But more to your point, the envelopes are first verified to be from a legitimate voter, with the signature verified, in front of witnesses (with multiple people confirming that the ballot is legitimate, typically with representatives of both major political parties observing). It is then placed with the stack of valid ballots to be counted. It is no easier for those running the election to add a stack of fraudulent ballots to the valid mail in ballots than to add a stack of fraudulent ballots (or votes, if done electronically) to the in-person ballots.

In fact, in analysis done of computerized voting machines, it has found that is likely the easiest way to add fraudulent votes into the system -- that most of the machines have poor safeguards against adding fraudulent votes.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If all of the ballots can’t be counted because of the proposed deadline, then yes, his vote could be invalidated. Again, the requirement is regarding the counters, not the voters. Just because I mail my ballot on time doesn’t mean it will get counted on time.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,528.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But I have, and that is what people do not understand. It is as if I should sit down and be silent because others do not agree with me. I do not view it that way. Those others... are actually going to have to win. I'm not just going to go silently into the night.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light! (famous poem your last line reminded me of)

Having debated you before I would offer the observation that it is not that they think you should be silent but that they do not see your evidence. As such they believe you to be mistaken much like you believe them to be. They are trying to convince you of why they find you to be so. Some of us are more enthusiastic then others. ;)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our system could work this way if our country made voting technology a priority. Almost any other important transaction we do today, including a home mortgage, can be done virtually. Yet somehow, we are still stuck in 1980's America when it comes to voting.
I would never ever be for voting online or on voting machine connected to the internet there is just too much chance of those systems being hacked.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I would never ever be for voting online or on voting machine connected to the internet there is just too much chance of those systems being hacked.
Retrievable, recountable paper ballots are the way. I don't care if the networks don't get to announce a winner on election night.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No. Not this election. Not concerning Trump. Not at all.
Principles are those ideals we hold ourselves to even when holding to them does not achieve our desired outcome.

Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Fair enough....I think a hybrid would work but that's for another discussion. It's too bad the Federal government didn't step up sooner to help states like PA & FL automate the processing of mail in ballots.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is an election... not a jack-in-the-box. You don't just turn a crank an out pops an entire new system a month before a hotly contested election. How much more obvious can it be?

That's why House Democrats tried to establish measures to strengthen mail-in voting procedures in their first covid relief bill all the way back in March. But folks on your side called it a bunch of wasteful, irrelevant pork:
Pelosi's So-Called Coronavirus Bill Filled With Pork, Over-Reaching Government
.....And the House weighs in

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't see any invitation for fraud concerning unsigned ballets? Just put in a stack of other unsigned ballots not in their signed envelopes... voila!
No state has the voter sign their actual ballot, if they did their vote would not be secret. The voter signs the envelope that the ballot is in.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't know many on the right that even believe masks are effective, so yeah...

I disagree with you. That is not bearing false whiteness. I understand some may view independently critical thought as sin, but I still view it as just an opinion.

Your misrepresentations of what people tell you repeatedly about masks appear quite deliberate.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't see any invitation for fraud concerning unsigned ballets? Just put in a stack of other unsigned ballots not in their signed envelopes... voila!
Are you outing yourself as a non-voter?

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where does one get a “stack of other unsigned ballots” and how would they get counted without an envelope?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Sealed is not the issue, but he did specifically say that he did not sign it. And if you mean that "it" was something else, his earlier posts would make no sense.

You've now had it explained to you twice. It's pretty clear that he signed the envelope, not the ballot.

The only thing that makes no sense is your replies to his post.

Upvote 0