Godisgood

A Whosoever
Aug 19, 2003
✟15,467.00
Faith
Christian
I probably should have started another thread, but thought some folks may want to be aware of this.

Deseretbooks (LDS) website has a thing called Chapters of Hope where they state on their website,
"Cash donations will be used to purchase books of need--academic books, as well as values-based, health, and fiction books."
and
"During the past decade, for example, Deseret Book has given more than $10 million worth of books to elementary school libraries, largely in Utah.

I'm not sure what they mean by "values-based" Yes, I guess I have suspicious mind, but thought maybe a heads up may be appropriate. I know many or most of you try to protect your children from LDS teaching although hard living in the middle of LDS country. If there were LDS publushed books in the school library I would want to be aware of it. I don't know if any of the donated books are LDS published, but I would be curious about it.

Upvote 0
Godisgood said:
I probably should have started another thread, but thought some folks may want to be aware of this.

Deseretbooks (LDS) website has a thing called Chapters of Hope where they state on their website,
"Cash donations will be used to purchase books of need--academic books, as well as values-based, health, and fiction books."
and
"During the past decade, for example, Deseret Book has given more than $10 million worth of books to elementary school libraries, largely in Utah.

I'm not sure what they mean by "values-based" Yes, I guess I have suspicious mind, but thought maybe a heads up may be appropriate. I know many or most of you try to protect your children from LDS teaching although hard living in the middle of LDS country. If there were LDS publushed books in the school library I would want to be aware of it. I don't know if any of the donated books are LDS published, but I would be curious about it.
Why does it matter if the books are LDS published? I doubt many of the books that go to schools are because of the seperation of church and state, but you make it sound like we are evil. We are Christians just like you.

Upvote 0

oldrooster

Thank You Jerry
Apr 4, 2004
Salt lake City, Utah
✟8,141.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apex said:
Why does it matter if the books are LDS published? I doubt many of the books that go to schools are because of the seperation of church and state, but you make it sound like we are evil. We are Christians just like you.
No you are not, it is already bad enough when the ratio of LDS books to christian books in public libraries here are about 30 to 1. You have seminaries, keep your books there.....

Upvote 0
S

SanctifiedinJesus

CoyoteGirl779 said:
I'm from Oregon but I've lived in Utah (near Park City) for about 7 years. It's kind of funny that I had to move to Utah to get to a place where God could lead me out of the Mormon church!

Hey CoyoteGirl....I grew up in a small town near Park City too! Where did you live? I grew up in Heber....but now I live in Tooele.

Upvote 0
S

SanctifiedinJesus

Like a lot of the rest of you, I grew up mormon too....Praise God that He brought me to the truth of His word over 3 years ago.

And Apex....I used to think that way too. I was going to make some points on what you had said, but this is not the correct forum for that...at least, as I am new here I don't think it is. And I don't think it appropriate to turn this fellowship thread for fellow utahns should be turned into a mormonism debate...but that is just my humble opinion. I would love to talk with you, come let us sit down and reason together from the scriptures. Not fight, be rude, insult and accuse...but reason...there is a difference. I know that we are stating things that may be offensive to you...but you are in a "chrisitan" forums...not an LDS forum. And, we live in utah....you don't think that we get offended every day by just going to the grocery store, work, gas station...we can't even step out of our houses without being bombarded with LDS teachings...and the LDS people could care less if we get offended...so please allow us a little slack here to vent our feelings...

K....I am done ranting now...sorry....:doh:

Upvote 0
SanctifiedinJesus said:
Like a lot of the rest of you, I grew up mormon too....Praise God that He brought me to the truth of His word over 3 years ago.

And Apex....I used to think that way too. I was going to make some points on what you had said, but this is not the correct forum for that...at least, as I am new here I don't think it is. And I don't think it appropriate to turn this fellowship thread for fellow utahns should be turned into a mormonism debate...but that is just my humble opinion. I would love to talk with you, come let us sit down and reason together from the scriptures. Not fight, be rude, insult and accuse...but reason...there is a difference. I know that we are stating things that may be offensive to you...but you are in a "chrisitan" forums...not an LDS forum. And, we live in utah....you don't think that we get offended every day by just going to the grocery store, work, gas station...we can't even step out of our houses without being bombarded with LDS teachings...and the LDS people could care less if we get offended...so please allow us a little slack here to vent our feelings...

K....I am done ranting now...sorry....:doh:
I dont want to debate in here or anything but you also must realize I am tired of constantly turning around and hearing people chanting "cult, cult, cult" at me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
i don't think mormonism is a cult, it's another religion. but most non-mormons don't belive that the LDS church is christian. SanctifiedinJesus is just offering to tell you why. I don't think many non-mormon ppl in UT feel that mormons belong to a cult either.

Upvote 0
Its probally just the fact that I spend most of my time in the "unorthodox theology" section, constantly protecting my faith from those who preach falsehoods about it. And if anyone here has felt offended living in Utah because there are so many LDS please accept my appologie. But also realize its the same for us when we live else where, especially in the south which is where I currently reside. I am constanly asked things about my religion that at the same time shock me that some would teach that to teens, and make me want to fall on the floor laughing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Moebius

Oct 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
✟124.00
Faith
Christian
Hi. I'm new to forums, and would like to introduce myself. I am prompted here because of my new found musical interests. I also want to chat with other people of faith.
I have recently gotten into synthpop, trance, ebm and other such stuff. If you don't know what that is, ask me :). I am also into Third Day, Caedmon's Call, Big Tent Revival and other similar groups. I also am partial to bands I liked in high school; Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush. But for now I'm interested in talking and meeting with those who are interested in the former. Although I will talk about anything.
I'm 35 years old and feel kind of old for liking this stuff. :sleep:. Oh, sorry did I bore you.
Anyway, this looks like a good place to be, hope I get some responses.

:scratch: (These are so fun)

Upvote 0
L

LovePaula

I love Utah!! Woo hoo! But yeah, I can totally understand you non-LDS folks feeling like outsiders when we seem kind of exclusive. We all need to be more accepting of our non-member friends and neighbors.

I get the whole "cult, cult, cult" thing a lot, too. It stinks to feel like you're out of the loop. Believe me, as a Latter-day Saint, I get it too. Like when I get asked for the millionth time why I don't drink Coke, or when people treat me like a baby just because I'm not allowed to see R movies. I guess it always goes both ways.

But I must be happy with how the Lord has blessed me, like in Phillipians 4:11 "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

Love, Paula

Upvote 0

QuePasa

Amateur Geek
Jan 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was in a boy scout troop out of Layton, Utah a while back when I was in 6th-10th grade. It was based out of a Mormon church. It was kind of strange when they tried to fit mormon doctrine in to Boy Scout activites. Two examples that I remember are a road-rally that used passages out of the Book of Mormon as clues, and a quiz game that used the Bible and the Book of Mormon.

Upvote 0