Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I always think it funny when someone wants to use Hebrew words (especially incorrectly) to "feel more Jewish".

For example, I have seen posts where someone says: Mitzvahs, Shabbats, Talmidims, etc.

I think it is fine and dandy to use something of particular value, especially when an English variant is lacking. But to color your posts with Hebrewisms just because is oftne seen as silly by outsiders (non-Hewbrew-speaking-christians and Hebrew-speaking-Jews alike).

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
:help: When you use Hebrew or Yiddish or other cultural words whose meaning may be lost on visitors/newbies and even some long-timers here, could you please define those word upon first use in a thread?

I guess I always thought it would be condescending
to define terminology I though people here would
know...didn't consider the newbies though...
I will try to remember to do it. But not being in the
habit of it, someone may need to remind me....:)

Upvote 0

ChazakEmunah

Emunah Sh'liach
Feb 7, 2007
Texas
Visit site
✟10,114.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
:help: When you use Hebrew or Yiddish or other cultural words whose meaning may be lost on visitors/newbies and even some long-timers here, could you please define those word upon first use in a thread?

Thanks. No secret handshakes and passwords. This isn't a speak-easy establishment.
I had backed off from using Hebrew initially, but then I was encouraged to use it more, so I do. I can always go back to using English if that's easier on everyone.

Reactions: Talmidah
Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most MJ forums post a kind of glossary for newbies. I thought I remembered that being discussed here. Maybe I was remembering somewhere else.

People are not exactly helpless. You double click the word, copy, open a new window or tab, and paste it with "definition" into google.

Upvote 0

Yehoshua

Jan 14, 2005
Minnesota
✟15,346.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I think we should we should go back to paleo-hebrew characters, with more authentic pronunciation (eyn's, begadkefat's, and so forth). I'm being facetious in case anybody angrily retorts. I really do loving hearing (in my opionion) Hebrew closer to the Biblical style such as the Mizrahi or Sephardic. I found Hebrew easier after learning the Arabic Aleph-bet. www.maran1.com has some good audio/video files although I can barely understand (even after several years of college level modern).

Upvote 0

Yehoshua

Jan 14, 2005
Minnesota
✟15,346.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone actually pronounce the ghrimel (not gimel) or thaled (daled) or thaf (tav)? It really bothers me that there isn't an emphasis in a proper ayin pronounciation either, or waw. My teacher who was born in Israel also taught the Koran in Arabic at the Hebrew university and can do those pronounciations pretty well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I for one would be very grateful if you could give an english equivalent word, as I dont have a clue when it comes to the Hebrew. Some times I read the posts and think, if I just knew that word, I'd know what the are talking about!! (Never thought about posting it into Google)

Thanks to all in advance

Catrin xx

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I for one would be very grateful if you could give an english equivalent word, as I dont have a clue when it comes to the Hebrew. Some times I read the posts and think, if I just knew that word, I'd know what the are talking about!! (Never thought about posting it into Google)

Thanks to all in advance

Catrin xx
Even in the Chabad forum, they ask that people try to include translations in parenthesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

debi b

Senior Veteran
Mar 22, 2004
✟5,479.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever read any government documents? Take for example something from The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Everytime they use something in a document they define it first. When things are addressed to a wide audience it is different than talking to someone who is close to you :)

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
or maybe we should just set up a sticky word list!

short and simple solution that will no doubt be long and complicated.

Steve

p.s. greetings to all

I think that would be too much jumping around. Better if you don't have to leave a thread to get a definition. Just my take.:cool:

Upvote 0