✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well said, bhsmte. I agree.
Right! JK Rowling is the authority....If you don't want to believe the God of creation you had better get out your asbestos water skis. You'll need them on the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the record, I do believe in God. I just don't believe in being overbearingly intrusive and shoving my Christian beliefs down other people's throats or being condescending and obnoxious when talking to non-Christians about the Christian faith. I believe in the Golden Rule of doing unto others as you would have done to you. I don't mind sharing my Christian faith when I'm asked to do so, but I won't be overbearing and rudely attempt to proselytize non-Christians and become a nuisance to them. I would much rather draw people nearer to God with kindness and compassion rather than push them further away from God by being rude and obnoxious and behaving in a sanctimonious manner.

And one more thing, I think it was totally nonsensical to make the response to my post personal by mentioning J.K. Rowling or insinuating that I don't believe in God or that I'm going to hell because of my alleged unbelief. I suppose that response was meant to be witty and insulting. Well, it completely failed, if that was its intent. Anyway, making a post personal like that is clearly against the flaming and goading rules and so is stating or implying that another Christian member isn't a Christian.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Denadii

Aug 27, 2017
Western
✟31,027.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For the record, I do believe in God. I just don't believe in being overbearingly intrusive and shoving my Christian beliefs down other people's throats or being condescending and obnoxious when talking to non-Christians about the Christian faith. I believe in the Golden Rule of doing unto others as you would have done to you. I don't mind sharing my Christian faith when I'm asked to do so, but I won't be overbearing and rudely attempt to proselytize non-Christians and become a nuisance to them. I would much rather draw people nearer to God with kindness and compassion rather than push them further away from God by being rude and obnoxious and behaving in a sanctimonious manner.

And one more thing, I think it was totally nonsensical to make the response to my post personal by mentioning J.K. Rowling or insinuating that I don't believe in God or that I'm going to hell because of my alleged unbelief. I suppose that response was meant to be witty and insulting. Well, it completely failed, if that was its intent. Anyway, making a post personal like that is clearly against the flaming and goading rules and so is stating or implying that another Christian member isn't a Christian.
Ok. Your choice..

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok. Your choice..

That is absolutely correct. It is my choice and anyone who attempts to say otherwise should learn to mind their own business and stop trying to interject their pompous opinions into my life.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I figure if I only use words that I'd be comfortable uttering in Jesus' presence (which I'm really in all the time anyway ;)), it would be hard to go wrong. There are also some verses that can help us out with this. For instance, here's a good filter to run your words through before you speak them:

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear" ~Eph 4:29

If your words can pass that test, I'd say you're good to go :oldthumbsup:

Another thing to consider whenever you open your mouth to speak (or chose to write in a place like this one) is this, are you intending to glorify God with the words you use? If not, why not ..cf Matthew 5:16.

Yours and His,
David

"There must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting,
which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks"

Ephesians 5:4

Are curse words sinful per se?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Are curse words sinful per se?
Hi SS, typically, context is required to turn most words into cuss/curse words. The names God and Jesus are perfect examples. The 5-letter B-word is used regularly, publicly, and properly at every dog show I've ever seen on TV. Even the F-bomb is an abbreviation, so there is a proper use for it as well (along with a TON of improper uses, of course :eek:).

Also, I know that there are times when the use of such words is necessary and would not be considered sinful. My wife took a self-defense class for women where the Christian who was teaching the class insisted that the ladies use cuss words against their attackers in a life-threatening situation (because she told them that the kind of people who attack women wouldn't hear a thing they'd have to say if they didn't use cuss words when they were screaming at them).

So again, context is everything ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi SS, typically, context is required turn most words into cuss/curse words. The names God and Jesus are perfect examples. The 5-letter B-word is used regularly, publicly, and properly at every dog show I've ever seen on TV. Even the F-bomb is an abbreviation, so there is a proper use for it as well.

Also, I know that there are times when the use of such words are necessary and would not be considered sinful. My wife took a self-defense class for women where the Christian who was teaching the class insisted that the ladies use cuss words against their attackers in a life-threatening situation (because she told them that the kind of people who attack women wouldn't hear a thing they'd have to say if they didn't use cuss words when they were screaming at them).

So again, context is everything ;)

Is unwholesome the reason cursing is sin?

So why do some people say conception is beautiful, etc? It seems interesting that based on how bad foul language is people think things like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think cursing is normally sinful because..........

1. we are commanded not to do it and,

2. it reveals an anger at/lack of trust in/lack of dependence upon God in the difficult situations we so often find ourselves in and,

3. it is most often accompanied by many other kinds of sins/sinfulness that we are harboring, which is revealed in difficult situations as we aim it at the person(s) we are yelling at,​

........showing how UN-loving our approach to them really is .. e.g. lack of patience, lack of kindness, etc., IOW, the opposite of the righteous way we are taught to lovingly approach others in 1 Corinthians 13:1-8 for instance.

There could be other reasons as well, but those three are what come to mind.

Yours and His,
David

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Tony Ramirez
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Circumcised_Heart

Sep 24, 2017
LA
✟26,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Is unwholesome the reason cursing is sin?

So why do some people say conception is beautiful, etc? It seems interesting that based on how bad foul language is people think things like that.
I think its also using the words for what they don't mean.

Society tends to view certain words as coarse, or acceptable. So although using certain language may shock some people (e.g. the f word in the right context), if its used in the context of its meaning, its not necessarily wrong (might not be polite, though!)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FAIK, when the bible mentions "cursing," it's not talking about cursewords, but rather saying things like "May God utterly destroy <insert name here>"
True. And "taking the Lord's name in vain" is NOT about "GD" this or "JC" that; rather it is about "God says XZY," when God is saying no such thing.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Even the F-bomb is an abbreviation, so there is a proper use for it as well (along with a TON of improper uses, of course :eek:).
An abbreviation for what?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, it's an abbreviation for nothing :doh: If memory serves, my 9th grade English teacher told us that it stood for Felonious Use of Carnal Knowledge in the British courts. I just checked, she was wrong!

Thank you for asking :)

--David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Apparently, it's an abbreviation for nothing :doh: If memory serves, my 9th grade English teacher told us that it stood for Felonious Use of Carnal Knowledge in the British courts. I just checked, she was wrong!

Thank you for asking :)

--David
It comes from a similiar german word that meant something like "striking" or "hitting".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If memory serves, my 9th grade English teacher told us that it stood for Felonious Use of Carnal Knowledge in the British courts. I just checked, she was wrong!
That is not current. It stood for Fore Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (premarital sex) back in the 1500s and 1600s. I am not sure when it changed, but that acronym went away a long time ago.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That is not current. It stood for Fore Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (premarital sex) back in the 1500s and 1600s. I am not sure when it changed, but that acronym went away a long time ago.
No it didn't, but great job perpetuating a myth.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No it didn't, but great job perpetuating a myth.
I find it interesting that everyone seems to use "for" instead of "fore." Indeed, one of the main criticisms at Snopes was the use of "for."

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I find it interesting that everyone seems to use "for" instead of "fore." Indeed, one of the main criticisms at Snopes was the use of "for."
It's wrong either way. There are many sites debunking this "abreviation" mythology, but I can't link them because they, of course, have the word in question plastered all over them.

Upvote 0