Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

US supreme court strikes blow against LGBTQ+ rights with Colorado ruling

June 30, 2023

Web designer backed by Christian group argued making websites for same-sex couples would violate her first amendment rights

In his majority opinion, Gorsuch said that the first amendment prohibited Colorado from “forcing a website designer to create expressive designs speaking messages with which the designer disagrees”. Backed by the other five rightwing justices who now control the court, he said the constitution protected an individual’s right to free speech “regardless of whether the government considers his speech sensible and well intentioned or deeply misguided”.

The ruling prompted an excoriating dissent from the three liberal justices. Written by Sonia Sotomayor and joined by Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson, the dissent noted that the decision was the first time in supreme court history that a business open to the public had been granted a constitutional right to refuse to serve people from a protected group.

“Today is a sad day in American constitutional law and in the lives of LGBT people,” Sotomayor lamented. The symbolic effect, she said, was to “mark gays and lesbians for second-class status. In this way, the decision itself inflicts a kind of stigmatic harm … The opinion of the court is, quite literally, a notice that reads: ‘Some services may be denied to same-sex couples’.”

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ll argue that any private business should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason.
I would hate to think a Christian would deny service based upon race, but being forced to depict homosexuality on a cake or web design is out of the question, just my 2 cents

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I’ll argue that any private business should be able to refuse service to anyone for any reason.
I’m onboard, so long as they have prominent signage at their business entrances and in their advertising indicating who they refuse to serve.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m onboard, so long as they have prominent signage at their business entrances and in their advertising indicating who they refuse to serve.
If I want a website designed and someone doesn’t want to do it for me, why would I want to force them to do it? It would guarantee that I’m not going to get their best work and there are plenty of other people who would gladly do it.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I want a website designed and someone doesn’t want to do it for me, why would I want to force them to do it? It would guarantee that I’m not going to get their best work and there are plenty of other people who would gladly do it.
That’s where the signage comes in.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s where the signage comes in.
By the same token if someone is an atheist and doesn’t want to design a website for a Church they should be able to decline.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
By the same token if someone is an atheist and doesn’t want to design a website for a Church they should be able to decline.
And have clear signage that they would be doing so.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And have clear signage that they would be doing so.
Putting up a sign would draw attention and attract controversy. It would be inviting someone to challenge it. I would just tell them I was not able to do it and refer them to someone else.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Putting up a sign would draw attention and attract controversy. It would be inviting someone to challenge it.

But they are all good now, so get it out there and avoid any confusion.

I would just tell them I was not able to do it and refer them to someone else.
Why waste your time? The signage would head all that off at the pass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But they are all good now, so get it out there and avoid any confusion.

I see your point. But if I don’t want to do a job I shouldn’t have to explain why. If I don’t want the business I should just be able to say I can’t do it. Put up a sign that says “I don’t do work for LGBTQ people “ and you’re asking for trouble.

Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I see your point. But if I don’t want to do a job I shouldn’t have to explain why. If I don’t want the business I should just be able to say I can’t do it. Put up a sign that says “I don’t do work for LGBTQ people “ and you’re asking for trouble.
They no longer have a legal leg to stand on, what’s the trouble?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You’re likely to lose a lot business, have your place vandalized and risk your safety but if you’re that willing to make a point I guess there’s nothing to stop you now if you’re claiming a religious objection

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No need to have sinage on a business that refuses to depict homosexuality on a cake or a created website

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You’re likely to lose a lot business, have your place vandalized and risk your safety but if you’re that willing to make a point I guess there’s nothing to stop you now if you’re claiming a religious objection
Sounds like criminal mob rule against American citizens and a Supreme Court ruling

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's correct, the woke agenda has been stopped dead in their tracks on pushing their agenda on American Businesses, the gavel has sounded in a 6/3 super majority, "Case Closed"!

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No need to have sinage on a business that refuses to depict homosexuality on a cake or a created website
Why waste time on clients you're going to refuse? Get it out front, time is a business owners most precious resource.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,485.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's correct, the woke agenda has been stopped dead in their tracks on pushing their agenda on American Businesses, the gavel has sounded in a 6/3 super majority, "Case Closed"!
Yep, so go on and get it out in the open what clients you refuse to work with.

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No need for signage on a business, if homosexuals want to push their agenda on a Christian business it will be refused, as simple as it gets

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ruling gives the atheist that right, didn't your read the ruling?

It's the atheists constitutional right to disagree with and not serve a church or any other religious org., his actions are exercising free speech

The ruling gives "Full Control" to business owners, regained "Freedom" gotta love it!

Quote Justice Gorsuch:

"the constitution protected an individual’s right to free speech “regardless of whether the government considers his speech sensible and well intentioned or deeply misguided”.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.