Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not CUT & DRIED or 100% ACCURATE, but I think it's pretty clear if you look closely at the MAPS, you will see that the HEALTHIEST STATES are for the most part DEMOCRAT States. Yellow & Green are the LEAST OBESE States & Orange & Red are the MOST OBESE States.

Obesity in America
US and OBESITY by State.jpg

POLITICAL MAP of the US

Map US Republican Democrat 2020.png

To me, this is especially sad, because I believe that Christians should fall into the Republican side of the equation (if for no other reason than just the PRO-LIFE issue alone.) Sadly, I think that this is an accurate representation on Christianity as a whole, today. Most Christians are not very interested in Health. Most Christians don't believe they have a real responsibility to take care of their bodies. Most Christians eat and drink whatever they desire and as much of it as they desire. Self-control and being temperate is hardly thought about in mainline Christianity. How sad it must make God to see that those who don't even claim to be His children take better care of their health than those who do claim to be His children.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: rockytopva

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
It's not CUT & DRIED or 100% ACCURATE, but I think it's pretty clear if you look closely at the MAPS, you will see that the HEALTHIEST STATES are for the most part DEMOCRAT States. Yellow & Green are the LEAST OBESE States & Orange & Red are the MOST OBESE States.

Obesity in AmericaView attachment 299561

POLITICAL MAP of the US

View attachment 299563
To me, this is especially sad, because I believe that Christians should fall into the Republican side of the equation (if for no other reason than just the PRO-LIFE issue alone.) Sadly, I think that this is an accurate representation on Christianity as a whole, today. Most Christians are not very interested in Health. Most Christians don't believe they have a real responsibility to take care of their bodies. Most Christians eat and drink whatever they desire and as much of it as they desire. Self-control and being temperate is hardly thought about in mainline Christianity. How sad it must make God to see that those who don't even claim to be His children take better care of their health than those who do claim to be His children.
I'd assume that would also correlate with population with less resources and less education. (I don't know details about the USA, but those often seem to be indicators for obesity in developed nations.)

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1280px-African-Americans_by_state.svg.png

Do you think it correlates at all to this map?
There are some similarities there, for sure. But like WV has very few Blacks, but they are EXTREMELY OBESE. FL has 20%-25% Blacks, which is pretty high, but they have far less obesity than other states.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd assume that would also correlate with population with less resources and less education. (I don't know details about the USA, but those often seem to be indicators for obesity in developed nations.)
I do think that is a factor... WV is a very poor State, and very Obese.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are some similarities there, for sure. But like WV has very few Blacks, but they are EXTREMELY OBESE. FL has 20%-25% Blacks, which is pretty high, but they have far less obesity than other states.

The obesity rate for Black adults 18 years and older (over 30 BMI) in the US in 2015 was 39.8%.

Obesity in the United States - Wikipedia.

How would you reach out to these black conservatives?

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The obesity rate for Black adults 18 years and older (over 30 BMI) in the US in 2015 was 39.8%.

Obesity in the United States - Wikipedia.

How would you reach out to these black conservatives?
I don't know the statistics but I believe that Blacks as a whole are more religious than Whites as a whole. I believe the best way to reach them is through the Bible ~ the Word of God, and help them to see that God is calling them to a better life, that their bodies truly are "the temple of God", that no matter what their addiction, if they are WILLING to give it up, God will help them overcome it. Then, I would try to teach them that just as there are 10 Commandments in the Moral Law, so their are 8 Health Laws:

N- Nutrition
E- Exercise
W- Water

S- Sunshine
T- Temperance
A- Fresh Air
R- Rest
T- Trust in God

I would try to teach them the principles of these laws and help them see that part of being a true Christian is taking care of the Body God has given us...clearly the Bible says that if we destroy our bodies, God will destroy us. 1 Corinthians 3:17 "If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been by told someone that the "Southern Diet" consists of much meat, cheese, and fried foods. Because of this anecdote, it does not surprise me. Over in Japan, they eat mostly rice and fish, and promote a healthier food culture with portion control and harder access to western junk food. They have significantly lower obesity rates (3.5%) when compared to the USA (30%) as a result.[1]

In the Book of Daniel, they did a science experiment. Royal foods would have been rich in meats, fats, and wine, very luxurious for the time.[2][3] Wine back then was a common substitute for clean water, because the latter was harder to come by in those times.[4][5]

8 Daniel decided not to eat the king’s food and wine because that would make him unclean. So he asked Ashpenaz for permission not to make himself unclean in this way.

9 God made Ashpenaz want to be kind and merciful to Daniel. 10 But Ashpenaz said to Daniel, “I am afraid of my master, the king. He ordered me to give you this food and drink. If you don’t eat this food, you will begin to look worse than other young men your age. The king will see this. And he will cut off my head because of you.”

11 Ashpenaz had ordered a guard to watch Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. 12 Daniel said to the guard, “Please give us this test for ten days: Don’t give us anything but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then after ten days compare us with the other young men who eat the king’s food. See for yourself who looks healthier. Then you judge for yourself how you want to treat us, your servants.”

14 So the guard agreed to test them for ten days. 15 After ten days they looked very healthy. They looked better than all of the young men who ate the king’s food. 16 So the guard took away the king’s special food and wine. He gave Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah vegetables instead.
~Daniel 1:8-16 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 1 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 1 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 1 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 1 - International Children’s Bible

While a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, grains, and meat are ideal,[6] vegetables and water are certainly the better of the two options, when compared to just meat and alcohol.[7] As far as meat is concerned, fish and poultry are the best options.[11] Red meat, such as pork, beef, and mutton, have potential adverse health risks when eaten in excess.[12] Unleavened bread has a longer shelf life because of the lack of yeast causing physical and chemical changes.[13] I personally believe Levitical dietary law was primarily meant to keep the Ancient Israelites healthy in a time before refrigeration and more advanced cooking methods.[22]

Alcohol can be good for heart health, as long as it is taken in moderation (1 Timothy 5:23). Otherwise, it only harms the person's health.[14] Family history of alcoholism also needs to be taken into account.[15] Soft drinks high in sugar also contribute greatly to obesity, cardiovascular disease, fatty liver disease, and poor dental health.[16] Sugar should be less than 5-10% of daily calories.[17][18] Up to 400mg (roughly four cups of coffee) of caffeine a day appears to be a safe amount for most healthy adults.[23] I personally recommend up to two cups of coffee each morning. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER!!!

Exercise and portion control are critical to managing weight.[8] A thirty-minute walk each day should be enough to manage weight, if done at a consistent pace.[9][10] Extra physical health benefits also include strengthened bones and muscles, and reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and some cancers. Doing so increases the chances of having a longer, better quality life.[19] Mental health benefits include improved mood by decreasing stress, while increasing self-esteem, self-confidence, energy, creativity, attention and focus function, sleep, and long term memory. This is due to increases of adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. Exercise also protects the brain from disorders such as depression, dementia, and Alzheimer's disease. Exercise changes the structure of the brain, especially the hippocampus, through a process known as neurogenesis.[10][20]

Fasting triggers autophagy (the body cleaning out damaged cells in favour of newer and healthier cells) which prevents cancers and degenerative diseases, has anti-aging effects, rejuvenates the skin, boosts the immune system and brain function, improves insulin sensitivity to protect against diabetes, lowers cholesterol, fight inflammation, and aids muscle strength.[21]

Most importantly, educate yourself in Biblical values and understand your true value to God (1 Corinthians 3:16-18, 6:19-20, Galatians 5:19-26, Romans 12:1-2, 1 Timothy 4:7-8).
  1. YouTube.com - What I've Learned - Why is it so Easy to be Thin in Japan? - Jan 23, 2018.
  2. https://hcscchurch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/food.pdf
  3. Eating in Historical Jerusalem
  4. https://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/features/what-does-a-two-thousand-year-old-wine-taste-like
  5. Wine throughout history: What were ancient wines really like?
  6. Canada's Food Guide
  7. Plant-based diets are best… or are they? - Harvard Health
  8. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/downloads/calreqtips.pdf
  9. How a 30-Minute Walk Every Day Could Keep the Fat Off
  10. YouTube.com - TED - The brain-changing benefits of exercise | Wendy Suzuki - Mar 21, 2018.
  11. Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight
  12. Potential health hazards of eating red meat - PubMed
  13. Spoilage of Processed Foods: Causes and Diagnosis - Food Microbiology Group of the Australian Institute of Food Science and Technology (AIFST) - p. 383-397
  14. Alcohol: Balancing Risks and Benefits
  15. The heritability of alcohol use disorders: a meta-analysis of twin and adoption studies
  16. The sweet danger of sugar - Harvard Health
  17. Know Your Limit for Added Sugars
  18. Sugar: the facts
  19. Benefits of Physical Activity
  20. five-mental-benefits-of-exercise
  21. Autophagy: Definition, Diet, Fasting, Cancer, Benefits, and More
  22. https://faculty.gordon.edu/hu/bi/te...ticus/text/articles/key-levdietary61a-asa.pdf
  23. Caffeine: How much is too much?
On May 22, 2021, at roughly 8:00 PM Eastern Time, I am making ongoing edits to this post, due to the sheer scale of it. My apologies, I am still learning because I am a flawed human being who is predisposed towards selfishness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Obesity in AmericaView attachment 299561

POLITICAL MAP of the US

View attachment 299563

The penny dropped when I realised the food giants are not concerned about individual health.

So it was up to me to make wise food choices.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Awww man.. I wish Minnesota was green.. at least we're less fat than Wisconsin.. which isn't very surprising honestly.. lol.

We tend to rank pretty high on average IQ and SAT scores. Not sure if there is a correlation.. but it wouldn't surprise me if increased IQ tends to also average out in less body fat and healthier lifestyles. Socioeconomic privilege or not.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know the statistics but I believe that Blacks as a whole are more religious than Whites as a whole. I believe the best way to reach them is through the Bible ~ the Word of God, and help them to see that God is calling them to a better life, that their bodies truly are "the temple of God", that no matter what their addiction, if they are WILLING to give it up, God will help them overcome it. Then, I would try to teach them that just as there are 10 Commandments in the Moral Law, so their are 8 Health Laws:

N- Nutrition
E- Exercise
W- Water

S- Sunshine
T- Temperance
A- Fresh Air
R- Rest
T- Trust in God

I would try to teach them the principles of these laws and help them see that part of being a true Christian is taking care of the Body God has given us...clearly the Bible says that if we destroy our bodies, God will destroy us. 1 Corinthians 3:17 "If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."

I was looking at what the CDC says:
  • Non-Hispanic Black adults (49.6%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity, followed by Hispanic adults (44.8%), non-Hispanic White adults (42.2%) and non-Hispanic Asian adults (17.4%).
Do you still think the problem is conservatism? Because the way you explain obesity in the USA, kind of leaves out the highest risk demographics who certainty don't vote Republican.

Does your criticism of conservative Christians apply to black democrats?

Upvote 0

honestal

Mar 27, 2021
Midwest
✟31,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a health video--"Forks Over Knives."

In it, a black leader (I think he was a mayor somewhere), says, "Poor people make poor decisions." (He said that applied to their food choices also.)

I think poor people in general don't eat as healthfully as more affluent people. (Poor people don't exercise as much as affluent people either.) Of course, as always, there are exceptions to that.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was looking at what the CDC says:
  • Non-Hispanic Black adults (49.6%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity, followed by Hispanic adults (44.8%), non-Hispanic White adults (42.2%) and non-Hispanic Asian adults (17.4%).
Do you still think the problem is conservatism? Because the way you explain obesity in the USA, kind of leaves out the highest risk demographics who certainty don't vote Republican.

Does your criticism of conservative Christians apply to black democrats?

Study: Black Women Lose Less Weight Than White Women on Same Diet - Consumer Health News | HealthDay

Some of the differences are probably genetic as well. Black women tend to rank the highest in obesity, with black men at least on some charts being slightly less obese on average compared to white men. On the whole women tend to suffer more from obesity than men.. but black women (more west sub-Saharan black women) probably suffer to a greater extent due to sexual selective pressure in the past from men in their region preferring more curvy bodies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have never seen so much obesity than in here in Southwest Virginia. I have seen much skincolor turned purple as they show off their legs in shorts and sandals. So many articles like the one below stressing the importance of staying at home...

Why staying at home is so important - Northwest Community Healthcare

Are we taking in account the full health of the individual here? At some point we need to again stress the importance of diet, exercise, and healthy activity.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When I was a Republican Lutheran - 250lbs
Now as a Democrat Greek Orthodox - 195lbs

Interesting.

When I was in my Right-Libertarian phase I was about 95kg at my fattest. I'm still on the Right now but more traditionalist and especially more anti-establishment and currently weigh 74kg.

I might suggest that the correlation between being overweight is not inherently tied to one's politics. I think it has something to do with lack of impulse control in people and their aversion to delayed gratification.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
When I was a Republican Lutheran - 250lbs
Now as a Democrat Greek Orthodox - 195lbs
I would think just being Orthodox in it’s self would be lower in obesity than their typical American neighbors.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my world, it's less about what I refrain from and more about adding variation to my diet... The wider the variety, the better IMO.

Obesity and fat are not issues for me, personally. I'm more about feeding my brain.

Upvote 0