U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol, what does health have to do with politics? This is a big stretch.

"look" @ Biden vs former President

this article lists wt:
Report: Good News for Donald Trump’s Waistline Is Bad News for America

"June physical-exam report pegged his poundage at 244—over the clinical threshold for obesity."

A Closer Look at Joe Biden's Health

"Biden does not use tobacco or drink alcohol and exercises 5 days a week, O’Connor said.
At the time of the exam, he was 5 feet, 11 inches tall, weighed 178 pounds, and had a blood pressure of 128/84."

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"look" @ Biden vs former President

this article lists wt:
Report: Good News for Donald Trump’s Waistline Is Bad News for America

"June physical-exam report pegged his poundage at 244—over the clinical threshold for obesity."

A Closer Look at Joe Biden's Health

"Biden does not use tobacco or drink alcohol and exercises 5 days a week, O’Connor said.
At the time of the exam, he was 5 feet, 11 inches tall, weighed 178 pounds, and had a blood pressure of 128/84."
So? I can find healthy and unhealthy people on either side, including presidents, which proves what?

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One issue I have not seen discussed is how manufacturing hides sugars and fats under different names so when one reads ingredients there are multiple sources listed under names we cannot recognize. Then they marking this garbage as "healthy food" when its not.

Further, children learn how to eat from their parents. If parents have bad habits and poor cooking techniques so will the kids.
So true!

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting study! Just so I understand your position correctly, do you find eating meat to be morally wrong, or are you just advocating for a vegetarian diet for healthier living? More simply, are you against meat eating or pro-vegetarian?
I'm very much against meat eating and very Pro-PLANT diet, because it's healthier and because that was the original diet God gave us when He created us :)

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
didn't Jesus & the Apostles eat fish?
Yes, they did. The Bible is very clear on that. The fish were much healthier back in their day. It's not that way, today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The fish were much healthier back in their day. It's not that way, today.

6 of the Healthiest Fish to Eat (And 4 to Avoid)

3. Salmon

Low in mercury and high in omega-3s (you’ll get at least, if not more than, 1,000 milligrams in a serving), salmon is a healthy fish choice that most of us are familiar with and enjoy cooking with in salmon recipes. Plus, it’s readily available at grocery stores, and restaurants, making it that much easier to incorporate into your diet.

we had salmon for dinner yesterday...yum

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We aren't going to stop eating meat and dairy, so we should be striving to produce or obtain healthy animal products, and limit how much we eat. Going organic is a good way to start.

Of course the downside is that much more acreage is required to produce organic foods, which if widespread would lead to massive starvation.

Organic foods.JPG

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We have a health video--"Forks Over Knives."

In it, a black leader (I think he was a mayor somewhere), says, "Poor people make poor decisions." (He said that applied to their food choices also.)

I think poor people in general don't eat as healthfully as more affluent people. (Poor people don't exercise as much as affluent people either.) Of course, as always, there are exceptions to that.

I think poor people are more in need of 'comfort' which they often satisfy through eating.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In my world, it's less about what I refrain from and more about adding variation to my diet... The wider the variety, the better IMO.

Obesity and fat are not issues for me, personally. I'm more about feeding my brain.

I go the other direction, eating pretty much the same diet. My guts do better when they know what's coming.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Part of this is due to the cost of healthy food and Ill pick on fast food restaurants. Wendy's has some really healthy salads, low carbs depending on the dressing you get, at $8. But you can get a burger, fries and a soft drink for $5.

Even at the grocery store, comfort food is far less expensive than healthier options.

Living here in the south, the buffets are the worst. $15 for all you can eat of some of the heaviest and worst food money can buy. I'm looking at you Golden Corral.

HR%20plate%20full.jpeg

I often eat at a buffet with friends, but I go for the fellowship more than the food and hit the salad bar pretty heavy. Sadly others, already overweight, pig out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To me, this is especially sad, because I believe that Christians should fall into the Republican side of the equation (if for no other reason than just the PRO-LIFE issue alone.) Sadly, I think that this is an accurate representation on Christianity as a whole, today. Most Christians are not very interested in Health. Most Christians don't believe they have a real responsibility to take care of their bodies. Most Christians eat and drink whatever they desire and as much of it as they desire. Self-control and being temperate is hardly thought about in mainline Christianity. How sad it must make God to see that those who don't even claim to be His children take better care of their health than those who do claim to be His children.

That's because most "Christians" in America these days lean gnostic.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Obesity is a problem across demographics, but tends to be an even bigger problem with poorer people in the US. And states like Louisiana, Mississippi, and West Virginia have alot of poor people.

One explanation might be that poor people tend to eat alot of processed food and cured meat - the vast majority of their diet, in fact. It's often cheaper and easier to obtain in these communities.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Study: Black Women Lose Less Weight Than White Women on Same Diet - Consumer Health News | HealthDay

Some of the differences are probably genetic as well. Black women tend to rank the highest in obesity, with black men at least on some charts being slightly less obese on average compared to white men. On the whole women tend to suffer more from obesity than men.. but black women (more west sub-Saharan black women) probably suffer to a greater extent due to sexual selective pressure in the past from men in their region preferring more curvy bodies.

Africans don't have much obesity at all, but they eat a very different diet, one that's largely plant-based and very low in processed or refined foods, for the most part.

Malnutrition early in life (or even before birth) can have epigenetic effects, such as switching on "thrifty" genes that increase a person's proclivity towards accumulating body fat when stimulated by high levels of insulin. A diet high in processed foods can lead to changes in the gut microbiome that increases caloric absorbtion and decreases insulin sensitivity.

I might suggest that the correlation between being overweight is not inherently tied to one's politics. I think it has something to do with lack of impulse control in people and their aversion to delayed gratification.

Lack of "impulse control" has little reason to do with why there's so much obesity in the US. It has much more to do with factors outside the individual's control, such as food policy, the influence of agribusiness in US politics, lack of humanistic value in urban planning, and so on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
REPUBLICANS AND CHRISTIANS FAT.

DEMOCRATS AND ATHEISTS THIN.

More or less, in my experience, that's true, at least in the US.

I would think just being Orthodox in it’s self would be lower in obesity than their typical American neighbors.

In my experience that's often the case. Also, alot of Orthodox come from ethnic minorities that eat more traditional diets, even if they don't strictly observe the fasts (many don't).

Upvote 0